The Horse Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Howdy all. We've had an eventful week, to say the least! We had one of those weather systems that brought hot, extremely dry east winds howling through our area, causing red flag wildfire warnings. Many areas had planned power shutdowns to help prevent fires. That didn't happen to us, but instead, we found ourselves in a Level 1 (get ready) wildfire evacuation notice, as a fire had started in our beloved state park, just a few miles east of us. One 102 year old house next to the park was incinerated, but thankfully, several fire companies and lots of "red neck firefighters" attacked the fire with everything they had and held it to about 25 acres. Our get ready notice was cancelled.

Thing is, there were horrific wildfires not far from us in 2020 and we had several days to pack for ourselves and the horses, at Level 1. It was a NIGHTMARE! In 2021 I started packing/staging for an evacuation in June, but nothing ever happened. So this year I thought, nah, we're good. Well guess what!! I was totally caught out with nothing ready to go! So I've been slowly packing and staging all week because we could still have hot, dry weather. This will be a June ritual from now on. For this year, I'll put everything away again after the rains come.

If that wasn't enough, on Wednesday, just as I was sitting down after unloading groceries, I noticed some suspicious puffs of smoke coming from the neighbor's place across the road, worryingly close to their barn! We can only see the rooftops from here. It took me a minute to decide whether there was ANY reason for that smoke and decided no there wasn't! So I called, and he flew out the door to investigate.Long story, but a fire was indeed beginning to catch in a corner of their barn. The fire department was out very quickly and got the whole thing snuffed before it caused a tragedy!

Ugh! No more drama please! I think we're having pot roast for dinner tonight. Will spend the weekend sort of wrapping up the planting in the winter garden and very possibly getting ready to refinish the deck. That will wipe me out! So, have a good one everybody! Go inspect your barns for potential fire starters!!! We will be completely overhauling our electric fence system.!

·
Registered
949 Posts
@walkinthewalk It appears that the fire was electrical. No combustibles in the area, just the walls. Lots of rodents in this area - ground squirrels, wood rats. Who knows! Glad all our barn wiring is in conduit! But the e-fence might be vulnerable. Have you ever seen what happens when a slug climbs across an insulator and makes contact with the wire and the T-post! POWPOWPOW! Blue arc visible from a mile away! LOL! If the insulator happened to be on the barn wall...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts