The Horse Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Good morning all! I’m actually on time for once As always, @aubie, thank you for starting the thread. Even if I don’t post something myself, I read everyone else’s posts and enjoy keeping up with everyone.

We’ve had morning temps in the low 60’s here in CenTex this week but I saw this morning that our “feels like” temps will be triple digit again by the end of next week….bleah.

Not sure what is on the menu for tonight, maybe leftovers or something simple.

We had drill team practice last Sunday, farrier came Tuesday and Skip has been lame ever since. Vet appointment today. We are getting ready for our Road to the Horse appearance and two horses on the team are lame. We have no backups (riders OR horses for this event) so my sister/coach is freaking a little! Hopefully vet will have some answers. It’s not in the hoof. I’m thinking he either slipped in the pasture or that mean witch Poppy kicked him….AGAIN. She may have to find a new zip code.

Anyway vet visit today, my brother is playing locally all weekend so think he is staying overnight tonigh, sewing on some accessories for our RTTH event, oh, and I bought a new horse yesterday

Finally got fortyeleventeen loads of dirt brought in to level yard and so my mom and husband have been amateur landscapers this week and Mom has been planting tons of flowers for the porches on the house. Rain not forecasted for quite a while so they are watering by hand and sprinkler. I’m not a yard girl so I told them y’all just go on with your bad selves!

That’s about it for me…y’all have a wonderful rest of your weekend. I have to get into the sewing dungeon!

Oh, I forgot about the dog. Yes, Baby is our fur daughter, lives in the house and until it got incredibly hot, I would take her everywhere with me. She sleeps wherever she wants, bed, couch, recliner, although she does have her own bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
731 Posts
In response to those who asked what the vet found regarding Skip (and thank you so much to those who asked ), I’m a little put out by that vet visit. Skip was lame in the hind end after the farrier visit. He’s 20, and has arthritis in the right hip, but was really sore on the left. I was concerned about being able to practice today, and our Road to the Horse event this coming weekend. I called for a vet appointment and they said they could not see him until next week. Fine, I started making arrangements to see if I could borrow one of my sister’s horses for at least practice. Vet called back and said they had a cancellation for Friday afternoon, so off we went. Appointment was for 3:00 pm. Got there at 2:50 and checked in. Waited and waited and waited and at 3:55, one of the techs came out and said “oh, sorry, no one up front told us you were here and no one brought the chart back, so we didn’t know you were here”. I was already a little bent out of shape, but whatever. Got him inside, vet starts the lameness exam, he says “oh, he’s dead lame (3/5) on right front, he’s not lame in the back end at all”. I was like “huh? He’s been dragging that left rear for two days!” So of course he says he needs to block him and what am I going to say…No? Blocks him on right front and really not much improvement. Off to x-rays (cha-ching) X-rays show…nothing, absolutely nothing. He calls me back to discuss x-rays and starts talking, then says “Oh, wait, these aren’t even your horse’s x-rays!” Skip’s x-rays show nothing of any note and vet says “This whole thing is the result of him having thin soles. He needs pour-in pads, or leather inserts.” I’m like, “What? He’s had thin soles all his life and he’s shod on the front to help with that”. He said “Well, he’s dead lame and you can’t ride him until he gets these pour-in pads. Stay off him, Bute for seven days” I said “What about practice and my event?” He said “It won’t be on this horse”. So $500 later I have a diagnosis of thin soles.
Called my farrier and he said well I can’t do it until Monday so try to ride someone else at practice. Get up Saturday morning, Skip is hauling butt across the pasture with his pasture mate, not sensitive to hoof testing, etc.
I went ahead and made arrangements to ride my sister’s horse today, but also talked to my BIL, who was Skip’s farrier for 16 years and after asking me a few questions, he said bring him to practice anyway and I’ll hoof test him before you get on him and see how he is. Got there to practice today, no flinching at hoof test, got on him and rode him three hours at practice and he never took one lame step. Horses……ya gotta love them right? So I paid $500 for basically…nothing

On another note, I purchased Boo sight unseen. I saw photos and one of my teammates and my sister did the riding and talking with the previous owners since he was in their area. My teammate is going to keep him and put some time on him for me, but she brought him to practice today and…he.is.stunning. in person. Tail is so thick it looks fake. He is 15.3,
previous owners said 8 years old, Coggins says 9, but looking at his teeth , he’s NOT late teens or 20’s,
so I’m good with whatever age he actually happens to be. I can’t wait to bring him home!

And there’s your bedtime novel for the evening!

·
Registered
731 Posts
@walkinthewalk, it’s the first time I’ve ever felt dissatisfied with the vet care at that facility. I think they overbooked their appointments, it was close to the end of the day, there were probably ten horses there at the time and all of them were being seen for some kind of lameness. I think he either got confused on what was going on with my horse or was just overwhelmed by that time! Anyway it was a waste of money and time at the end of it all.

Also regarding Boo…he was priced at XXXX. He was in a lesson barn and I think he was just too much horse for the clientele of that particular barn.
He was for sale a while and then when my sister and teammate contacted
them, they said we need to move him to get another horse in here, so if you can pick him up by Friday, we’ll take XXX, less than one third of their asking price. I called them and confirmed the ridiculously low price, they said yep that’s it, and I wired the money right then. I’m a little concerned there MIGHT be something they aren’t telling us because of the urgency in wanting to move him quickly and dropping the price like that, but the girl who is riding him for me said so far so good. He has some holes in his training but he does W/T/C, load and unload trailer, leads well, picks up all four feet, and does have current shots/Coggins. I’m hoping he’s a true diamond in the rough.

Skip will never retire as long as I’m with LSC. He’ll at least do parades and personal appearances and at least one night at a rodeo as long as he’s physically capable.

I am going to get a chiropractor out for him. He had pretty regular chiro care when I lived near Houston but it’s been a real struggle to find someone up here (much more rural) to actually show up for an appointment. The search continues!

@Knave, hope you get some answers regarding Queen and that Lucy is cleared to work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts