The Horse Forum banner
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

Registered
Oh, gosh, I am just so impressed by y'all's energy and accomplishments! you guys do sooooo much! it amazes me. I can't address them individually, but I am just high fiving you all for your gumption and ambition.

Cooling here , too. No rain yet. It's been no rain ( other than like a dozen drops) for a couple of months now. This is the rainy Pacific NW, too. Everything is dry. too dry.

I am dividing my time between my three favorite things: Riding, painting, and cooking.

Working on a landscape now, in oils. Will post it later on my thread. Riding today. And cooking Keema tonight. It's a type of curry using ground lamb, potatos and peas and onions. Now that it's cool enough to cook inside, I'm game for it!

Cheers!

Registered
Happy Friday!

not really any plans, maybe I鈥檒l go for a bike ride. Ive been attempting to go for a bike ride every evening just for something relaxing to do. probably pizza for dinner tonight, or going to a family friends fancy bday party.
And bake some chocolate chip cookies!!

still covered in poison ivy though, lol!

this weekend.. I really have no plans, I was just going to chill, maybe work with my jersey calf, work my horse.
it鈥檚 my bro鈥檚 birthday this weekend so the fam will probably do something for him.

cant wait for fall, though I wish it would come later because I don鈥檛 have the new arena finished!馃槰

the low here is 55掳, super foggy too, only got to 70掳 at about 8-9am, it was so chilly this morning I actually wore jeans and a hoodie, but by 7 I was wearing jeans and a T-shirt lol. though suggested to not wear jeans with poison ivy, I had to because I was so cold. But then again I鈥檓 the type to always be cold馃槄

who has watched Heartland season 15? I haven鈥檛 watched it yet but I know 16 is coming out in October I believe!
Still sad that Ty died though. :(

I gave my guy a bath yesterday, he鈥檚 nice and fluffy again, he was turning into a gray from the dirt, lol!!

do y鈥檃ll keep your horses trimmed up during the fall and winter (like ears trimmed, mane trimmed, fetlocks trimmed, etc?)
I like my guy to look the best as possible, but in the winter I feel bad because I don鈥檛 want his ears to be cold 馃槀

anyway! Hope everyone鈥檚 weekend goes well!!
Horse Plant Eye Tree Working animal
Hair Eye Sky Plant Horse

Registered
@walkinthewalk It appears that the fire was electrical. No combustibles in the area, just the walls. Lots of rodents in this area - ground squirrels, wood rats. Who knows! Glad all our barn wiring is in conduit! But the e-fence might be vulnerable. Have you ever seen what happens when a slug climbs across an insulator and makes contact with the wire and the T-post! POWPOWPOW! Blue arc visible from a mile away! LOL! If the insulator happened to be on the barn wall...

Registered
And cooking Keema tonight. It's a type of curry using ground lamb, potatos and peas and onions.
Oh yum! What time's supper? At least post a recipe, I'm certainly game to try it myself. Nothing better than a good curry.

I've gotten spoiled since we moved down south here. There are a LOT of good ethnic restaurants that we didn't have in Stillwater. Go figure? A college town with lots of foreign students, big foreign exchange programs at the high schools and very few ethnic restaurants other than a couple of oriental fusion cuisine, sushi, Japanese Shabu Shabu and a couple of Chinese buffets. Oh a Thai restaurant too that was ok. We mostly went down to Oklahoma City to eat out. Now we have Thai (I mean really good too), Korean (one of my fav cuisines), Vietnamese (I love Pho), Japanese, Italian, Indian (and it's gooooooooood, enough I rarely cook it at home anymore) and I'm sure more I haven't found yet. We've only been here a year.

Tonight is beer battered cod and chips with homemade tartar sauce and sea food sauce (homemade ketchup, Worchestershire, Lemon Juice, Chipotle Tobasco, Horseradish) and malt vinegar for dipping, and salad. I don't really feel like cooking today, so cheating and using frozen fish and chips.

Weather's in the 90's still and will be for a while but the humidity has been coming down and is only in the 30% range. We're working our way to fall-ish weather, I can't wait. I'd love to be able to cut the AC and open windows & doors. Course the wind will blow us to Kingdom Come, but it's ok, I'm used to that.

I'm waiting for the results on little Miss Snowy's Lepto titer, I want to know how she's doing and what I need to do going forward. Siiiiiigh......poor baby. I suppose this is one of those things that bothers me a lot more than it bothers her. She doesn't seem to mind any of it and I just want her to be at her very healthy best all the time. And right now, she seems to be feeling great!

Ahhhh dogs. They're our babies. If they are up and around they are in the house with me. They're my velcro pooches. They sleep in their crates in a big room that is a converted garage, but they get up with us in the morning and stay with me all day. Luna likes to carry her chewy bone around and chews on it and lays at my feet asking for pets & scratches. Flake likes to fetch her Kong and her Kong balls and will drop them on the keyboard for me to throw them for her. And sometimes we have to wrestle a little for them. LOL! I've had to throw them 3 times since I sat down here to write this. She's such a pest! They're so darn cute. I have a nice soft mat in the kitchen so that when I'm standing in there cutting and cooking it's eaier on my back. Or, well, it would be if I ever got to stand on it. They love it and take it over when I go in the kitchen to cook. I get hard hearted an shoo them off it every now and then but I think I just need to buy more mats. Pics of Flake giving me a razberry for telling her no more treats at the table and Luna giving me her best beggin' face. Silly gurlz!

Plans for the weekend? I don't think we really have any. I bet something comes up.

Attachments

Registered
@walkinthewalk It appears that the fire was electrical. No combustibles in the area, just the walls. Lots of rodents in this area - ground squirrels, wood rats. Who knows! Glad all our barn wiring is in conduit! But the e-fence might be vulnerable. Have you ever seen what happens when a slug climbs across an insulator and makes contact with the wire and the T-post! POWPOWPOW! Blue arc visible from a mile away! LOL! If the insulator happened to be on the barn wall...
i am glad you happened to look over and see the smoke馃拹馃拹. Like you, all of my barn wiring is in conduit, including the wiring going up the overhang poles for the outside water tubs.

I have never seen a slug get zapped on an electric fence and based on your description, I don鈥檛 want to馃槀馃槀

@Txshecat0423 Skip would have been on the move, if you hadn鈥檛 tied him the way you did馃槀馃槀 What did the vet say about his lameness?

@Dreamcatcher Arabians I hope Snowy鈥檚 titres come back normal. It鈥檚 not easy trying to Will Them Well, is it馃拹馃拹

Your dogs do a great job of letting you know 鈥漌ho鈥檚 The Boss鈥, lol. Remember that tv show with Tony Danza?

I only got two hours of mowing done. The three hours that was left and I still have one hour is on the more than 15% grade hillsides and has to be done in 4-wheel drive. After two hours, I did not have enough left in me to keep a death grip on a tractor fender so I wouldn鈥檛 slide off the other side <鈥- not kidding on that one馃槼馃槼

DH called and it turns out supper will be from Fazolis, including a good amount of their garlic bread sticks which are some of the best I鈥檝e ever eaten馃憤馃憤

Registered
@Dreamcatcher Arabians I hope Snowy鈥檚 titres come back normal. It鈥檚 not easy trying to Will Them Well, is it馃拹馃拹

Your dogs do a great job of letting you know 鈥漌ho鈥檚 The Boss鈥, lol. Remember that tv show with Tony Danza?

I only got two hours of mowing done. The three hours that was left and I still have one hour is on the more than 15% grade hillsides and has to be done in 4-wheel drive. After two hours, I did not have enough left in me to keep a death grip on a tractor fender so I wouldn鈥檛 slide off the other side <鈥- not kidding on that one馃槼馃槼
Snowy's titres won't ever be 'normal' again. If they come back under 200, then I'll be ecstatic. If I can keep them under 200 I'll be even more ecstatic.

Siiiiigh! These dogs.....they're really good trainers. They have me trained to know when they need to go outside and do beezwax (I tell them to go wax some beez), when to give them pupsicles (ice cubes), dinner treats, pets, throw the Kong, you name it. Today I have the laundry all ready to fold but they are much more interested in helping me spread it out on the floor than folding. Maybe after I put them to bed tonight. LOL! It's like having toddlers! :LOL: 馃挅

Our old place was like that for mowing. I would hang on to the side of the tractor and pray the whole time I was mowing. Our new place is much more rolling and not as steep. A lot less scary to mow. I don't miss that part!

Registered
Happy Friday! This week has been eventful. Last Wednesday the vet came out for spring shot since sheath cleanings. (My boys got a clean bill of health and did really great and I鈥檓 very proud of them.) Then I switched them over to a different pasture on Saturday. My mini pony absolutely freaked out being over there. (He hard to catch just a general brat.) So I move them back to the old field (which was smaller) and they were completely fine. It was weird.( if anyone has any advice on this I created a thread).
Since Wednesday of this week I have been pet sitting for a friend. (They are out of town for a wedding.) They have eight cats and a standard poodle. It has been fun being over there. All the cats are super sweet and the poodle is just such a good boy. It has been kind of like a mini vacation! (Although I think I鈥檓 allergic to something in their house. I鈥檓 over there a lot anyways not sure what鈥檚 making my allergies really bad this time.I鈥檝e got a swollen eyes and a runny nose and the sneezes.) A couple weeks ago I posted here that our waterline to the barn had broken. We got the part to fix our backhoe and the waterline should be fixed soon.( If the weather is permitting) Hooray! I鈥檓 so happy to have water out here again. (I don鈥檛 think I can do another winter without water in the barn) I had chicken nuggets for dinner I was feeling pretty lazy. And a bit off with the allergy craziness. I haven鈥檛 gotten a chance to read through all the replies yet but I hope everybody has had a good week and an even better weekend!
Editing to add the photos ( they didn鈥檛 go through the first time)
4 of my friends cats anxiously waiting for food
Wood Flooring Floor Table Hardwood

My horses after a field ride
Plant Horse Tree Working animal Horse tack

My friends dog watching me eat my breakfast
Plant Dog Water dog Carnivore Dog breed

Premium Member
The bull came easily enough. It was a surprise. He did see if he could get a horse鈥檚 number, but then he let it go when he saw he couldn鈥檛 get our bluff, and was headed home, and we didn鈥檛 over pressure him.

I took Bones, and regretted not taking my filly when I saw how easily it went. It was long and footing was bad, but she could have handled the bull in any case.

Came home, caught her to ride, and she鈥檚 lame! I don鈥檛 know if they got to fighting while we were gone or what happened. :( Stance mean anything to you guys?
Cloud Sky Plant Mountain People in nature
Horse Sky Cloud Plant Working animal
Horse Sky Working animal Horse supplies Horse tack

Registered
You know @Knave you and @boots post the BEST ranching pictures馃槑馃槑

They tell the story and they are post card perfect. You both have a knack for letting people feel what鈥檚 in the picture馃槝馃槝

Registered
@walkinthewalk , you'd be welcome and no money needed if you did the clean up afterwards. :) That's the part I hate.

@Knave , glad the bull was cooperative. It looks to me like your filly's fetlock is swollen but I can't see the other side to compare. Cutter stood with his foot forward like that when his abscess was still in the painful stage.

@Txshecat0423 , congrats on the new gelding. The video of Skippy reminded me of JC. He was an escape artist. :love:

Super Moderator
Oh!

I don't have a dog. But... the daughter who lives with me does. It's a Cocker Spaniel. The dog waits until I'm asleep, jumps into my bed, and somehow pushes me over until I wake up hanging on to the edge of the mattress.

I've caught her in my bed when I get home, too. How can one, little dog take up so much room?
Brown Wood Comfort Textile Dog

Registered
Oops forgot to add my part. The morning got away from me and I didn't make it to town after all. No way I had time to get groceries, put them away, feed and do barn chores and get a ham baked for supper when I looked at the clock and it was already 2:00 pm. Maybe tomorrow. LOL

On the plus side the ham was a spiral sliced, brown sugar glazed ham I had bought at Sam's Club and it was quite tasty. I hope they still have some at a decent price because a trip to there is needed soon too.

Premium Member
@JCnGrace I thought that too at first, but I think it鈥檚 an optical illusion from the fact she keeps holding it funny bent forward. When forced to stand on it it look similar to the other, although the white compared to the black makes it seem bigger. It doesn鈥檛 feel swollen, or hot.

I considered the hoof, as she seems to be keeping pressure off of if, but she was in the corral all day without rocks and it is soft from rain. I just don鈥檛 know. She kept holding it forward like the picture, or picking it up like a hind leg and resting the weight off of it.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts