The Horse Forum banner

A Frozen Friday Night Conversation

1322 51
OK its cold. How is everyone? Its only 32 here, know some have it much worse.

So how is it going to affect your plans? What are they tonight and this weekend?

Whats for supper? Does cold effect your choices? Your old pal Aubie eats like champ when its cold. But i just made an ice cold glass of Coke so I'm weird.

Speaking of, the cold puts me in a good mood. I know that's the opposite the of most. And to be fair I dont have the the issues yall have with farm/animals yall do. Remington loves it and is the worlds easiest keeper.

But if you suffer with winter cold, dark sadness, reach out. Its a real thing for sure.

For those traveling or have company coming the safest of travels to all. Yall mean the world to me.

And as always anything and everything welcome.

Font Electric blue Symbol Logo Circle
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

Registered
Happy Friday. I've been sick with a cold all week so it's been rough. We have this huge case filing, so I've had to be in the office the past 2 days & I'm feeling a lot better, but the weather change suddenly hasn't helped at all!
Low 40's today, but will be down to below 30 tonight & this weekend, not looking forward to that lol.

Tonight I'm gonna have soup again for dinner, since my nose is stuffy I can't really taste much else haha.

I honestly can't stand the cold. My hands are always frozen no matter what & I get cold so easily, so not a fan! Just gonna be taking it easy this weekend & recharging.

Registered
It got cold here, too! Mostly it's been cold and gray. I made chili for Frito chili pie last weekend and made tomato soup (from scratch, but it's an easy recipe) and grilled cheese sandwiches last night. Leftovers for dinner.

It's going to be cold and rainy through at least Tuesday, but then it might warm up and be cool and rainy. I won't be around to put on / take off turnout sheets and I'm not sure what to do about that.

This weekend is my nephew's birthday party so we will drive to Houston tomorrow. I ended up getting him a nerf dart bow and arrow. Honestly I'm glad to have an excuse not to go to my lesson, if they are even going to have lessons. It's supposed to be in the low 40s and raining all day. I mean, no one wants to be out in that.

Registered
Happy Friday

It's 9C/45F here and really wet with yellow and amber warnings for flooding to the east of me. Light levels are poor as well, almost a permanent dusk but given the weather and location it's to be expected for the time of year.

Snap @PoptartShop I've been fighting a really bad cold all week. I admitted defeat yesterday. I said that I'd work from home but that turned into sleeping all day. The low grade fever has gone, although I'm still coughing bad enough to strain my back. The congestion has been awful and steaming did little to help the pain. I'm a lot better but it's been a rough week.

Struggled through at work both offsite and training onsite; we had filming in some of rooms over three days which involved other events getting moved to accommodate their wishes :rolleyes:.

I'm spending today wrapped up, either watching tv or the telecoms workers fitting new cables to the post at the back of the house.

That was a shock when the door bell rang this morning, I can tell you. I wasn't exactly dressed for callers, my hair was a bird's nest, my nose was red, eyes streaming and I was carrying around a box of tissues. I doubt it was a treat for the guy at the door either. I'm sure I saw him flinch when the door was wrenched open and he got a cheery 'whit dae ye want?' Poor guy, I wasn't feeling that great:ROFLMAO:.

I've no plans for the weekend. The need for food may push me to leave the house tomorrow, otherwise I don't want to be out in the rain and cold when the lurgy is still on me to some extent.

Chicken soup, mint tea for lunch, and tuna and pasta for tea tonight.

Have a good weekend all.

Registered
Cold here as well and tomorrow the rain starts鈥gh. I hate when it鈥檚 both.

Supper will be leftovers for my husband. I鈥檓 going to go listen to my brother play and sing at a local winery this evening and I鈥檒l grab something there.

Was supposed to ride with the team in a holiday parade tomorrow but the director just sent a message she is calling in to cancel for us. We can ride in the cold, but there is a 90% chance of rain right at parade time and no one wants to be out in that. We have actually done that parade in the cold and wet twice before but we were idiots!

I think my sister is bringing a couple of horses up for me to babysit during Thanksgiving. She and her husband are going to visit her son and his wife in San Diego, and although she has someone to feed etc while she鈥檚 gone, her 23 yo mare is pretty special needs at this point and her horse care person for the weekend isn鈥檛 really a horse person. The gelding she鈥檚 bringing is supposed to end up as mine at some point, so he needs to come up here anyway. We鈥檒l see how all that turns out.

Y鈥檃ll have a wonderful weekend and a wonderful holiday. Stay warm and dry!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Been a cold week, been down in the teens most nights and highs from 28-43* . Had snow Tuesday but didn't last long. Caught and took cattle to the sale barn. Hay around here is going for $80- 150 a big bale and it eats up my calf crop money so I'm selling all but 3, my feeder steer for this year and 2 less than perfect cows that I won't get anything for but, will still have calves. Four trailer loads went to the sale. I'm going to start backgrounding steers on grass May to November instead of cow - calving like I have for the last 30+ years.
Tonight will be chipped beef and gravy, biscuits, cottage cheese and green beans. Umm, I can't wait. We haven't had this in a while. Here is the snow out our kitchen door.
Cloud Sky Plant Tree Natural landscape

Registered
My black horse is very silly and handsome. He is hard to train most of the time.
Wow sounds cold there for ya'll! Here in summer it is 30 *C in the shade almost no breeze and full hot sun with no clouds. Great for going swimming with the horses in the pond. They love it and splash and roll while I swim. It is so fun.

Registered
As of this morning, still no heat in my house. I think there may be a plan to temporarily fill the heating system, as the kitchen floor guys can't come til 1st week of December. They had to disconnect the kitchen radiators and drain the system as renovations commenced in May. We've had several floor delays as a month ago the flooring guys said "it's not level enough for click lock" and then "no that color option isn't available til February" and then "ok that one we can do in December". And so we are getting into nights below freezing, which is a problem for the pipes. We have a small space heater in the living room which has it a comparatively balmy 59F. The dogs were even cuddled next to each other the other day, not typical of them. It's frustrating.

Work can be frustrating, but not because of my patients or what I do, or even my bosses. It's more a question of poor communication from one of the hospitals, and a sense they take us for granted, now that we have proven ourselves capable. However, I like helping people, I like being able to say yes, you can stay home, here, with food and people you love, while we help you get better. Sometimes we have patients who feel like things are just happening to them, and I get to sit down with them and listen to their questions and help them understand.

My weekend is full of work. For some reason the schedule works out to giving me four days this pay period instead of 3 so that's 8hrs OT. (12hr days). Tomorrow I was told I have a new hire riding with me. I must have made a spectacular expression because my boss assured me I did not have to focus on training her, this was an observation day. 馃ぃ

Next week I'm going to DC for a week for Thanksgiving with my brother, SIL, nephew and any of the other local relatives. Looking forward to it, as always.

Today - headed out to the barn. Hoping to find my lead rope, which someone wandered off with. It didn't cost a lot, but it's mine, it matches Jasper's halter, and I would like it back. Fortunately it's the only one of its color in the barn.

Super Moderator
Chicken soup for lunch for me. No clue for later. Early cabbage and I can always add sausage, bacon or ham to smother it with. Cornmeal for a cornbread on hand. I planned on that earlier in the week but I didn't do much cooking. Just pulled left overs out of the freezer.

Registered
Happy Friday all!!!

It's cold here! But I kinda like the cold. Cold and rainy not so much but it's just cold here no rain!

Yikes on no heat @redbadger! I hope you get it soon... would be a long winter if no heat.

My neighbor brought her horses home from the mountains for the winter! YES! Means I'll get to ride locally more! She had a few of us neighbors over for margaritas last night... she made her own chips, I think I'm going to try that as they were so good.

Tonight going out with friends not sure where yet though.

I'm not going to family this year for Thanksgiving so I get the oh you have to come to our house Thanksgiving from all kinds of friends.. no I think I'll just hang out and make myself something yummy!

Oh any ideas what I can get my vet for a gift?? I so appreciate her and from another thread I get they aren't appreciated enough. I always pay my bill at time of service but would like to get her something cool... no I don't know her hobbies... I will have to think about it!

Have a great weekend all!!

Registered
OK its cold. How is everyone? Its only 32 here, know some have it much worse.

So how is it going to affect your plans? What are they tonight and this weekend?

Whats for supper? Does cold effect your choices? Your old pal Aubie eats like champ when its cold. But i just made an ice cold glass of Coke so I'm weird.

Speaking of, the cold puts me in a good mood. I know that's the opposite the of most. And to be fair I dont have the the issues yall have with farm/animals yall do. Remington loves it and is the worlds easiest keeper.

But if you suffer with winter cold, dark sadness, reach out. Its a real thing for sure.

For those traveling or have company coming the safest of travels to all. Yall mean the world to me.

And as always anything and everything welcome.
It's cold. Cold Cold. Like 20 F (-7 C) cold. With wind and humidity cold. It's early this year. It's supposed to only be about 35 F (1 C) for a high today, I have my doubts if the wind keeps up. Gonna be a good baking day, so I think I will fire up both ovens.

I think tonight will be a good night for something like lasagna, garlic bread and salad.

I prefer the cold to heat and humidity. I can break out my flannels and sweaters and stuff. I only get to wear them a few days each year because when we're cold, we're really cold but we're not all that cold all that often.

I'll start my holiday cooking and baking this weekend. We're not having company and hubby informed me there are no birthdays and they've decided they don't want to do a pot luck or anything at the clinic, so I've decided I'll do some experimental baking and they can be my guinea pigs. ;):ROFLMAO:

I found a recipe that I just HAVE to try. Red Velvet Cake is my all time favorite cake. I saw this recipe for a BLACK Velvet Cake and I have been itching to try it ever since I saw it.

Food Tableware Drinkware Dishware Black

Black Velvet Cake
An Original Recipe by Lorraine Elliott

Preparation time: 35 minutes

Cooking time: 35 minutes

For cake

• 1.5 cups brown sugar (firmly packed)
  • 1 3/4 cups cake flour
  • 1 cup black cocoa*
  • 2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 2 eggs, at room temperature
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 cup hot water or coffee
  • 1/2 cup neutral flavoured oil (grapeseed, rice bran)
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 100g/3.5ozs. finely chopped dark chocolate
For frosting**
  • 375g/13.3ozs. butter, room temperature
  • 190g/6.7ozs. caster sugar
  • 115ml/4flozs. water, room temperature (test on wrist)
  • 3/4 cup black cocoa
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
To decorate

• 6 black cherries
  • 6 blackberries
  • Purple and gold sprinkles
This will of course work with regular cocoa but it won't achieve that inky black shade.

Step 1 - Butter and line 2x20cm/8inch round tins. Preheat oven to 160C/320F. Whisk the sugar, flour, cocoa, bicarb and baking powder in a large bowl. In a large jug measure the buttermilk, oil and vanilla. Beat in the eggs and then the water. Mix gently into the flour mixture in 3-4 lots along with the chopped chocolate. Divide among the two tins and bake for 30 minutes.

Step 2 - Fit a beater attachment to your mixer and beat the butter, sugar and cocoa together on low speed for 1 minute and then increase it to a speed of 3 out of 10 for 3 minutes. Add the water and vanilla in at low speed and beat on the same speed (3 oout of 10) for another 5 minutes or until the sugar no longer feels gritty between your fingers.

Step 3 - Trim the tops off the cakes (I made cake pops with the extras) and then slice each cake in half horizontally using a cake leveller (I am pretty hopeless at achieving a straight slice with a knife). If you have time, please cover and freeze the cake layers so that they are easier to ice. Spread the buttercream between each layer of cake and then coat with more buttercream (the cake isn't overly crumby so I didn't really need a crumb coat).

Step 4 - Fit a piping bag with a 1A tip and fill with some of the buttercream and pipe dollops around the edge of the cake. Then top with black cherries, blackberries and sprinkles.

I will make a black cream cheese frosting, I just can't abide butter cream frosting. I put the original up for anyone who wants to give it a try though.

I love chocolate cake, even though I'm really not much of a cake fan. We'll see what the clinic says. I'd never heard of black cocoa before, so now I have to try it. LOL! I also bought some Dark Muscovado Sugar for the smokey, molasses flavor and the extra dark color it will add. I think it will be a good chemistry experiment. I find it interesting that the recipe is 1/2 American measurements and 1/2 British, i.e. cups vs grams but uses British Caster Sugar and spelling.

Ok, 'nuff of that! Back to your regularly scheduled programming......

Registered
That was a shock when the door bell rang this morning, I can tell you. I wasn't exactly dressed for callers, my hair was a bird's nest, my nose was red, eyes streaming and I was carrying around a box of tissues. I doubt it was a treat for the guy at the door either. I'm sure I saw him flinch when the door was wrenched open and he got a cheery 'whit dae ye want?' Poor guy, I wasn't feeling that great:ROFLMAO:.

I've no plans for the weekend. The need for food may push me to leave the house tomorrow, otherwise I don't want to be out in the rain and cold when the lurgy is still on me to some extent.

Chicken soup, mint tea for lunch, and tuna and pasta for tea tonight.

Have a good weekend all.
I'm sorry you're feeling poorly. If it helps, you get the "Made me spit my tea all over the monitor screen" award today. "Whit dae ye want?" SNORT!

Registered
Winter arrived and seems here to stay. Several inches of snow on the ground (unfortunately with icy spots underneath, sigh...) and high temps forecast to stay below freezing for the forseeable future, so we're unlikely to get significant melting. Unfortunately that means I'm going to have to cancel my typical Sunday ride with my friend down the road- with hunting season here, we are riding on the roads until the weekend after Thanksgiving, but the roads are definitely not safe to ride on with the current conditions. Hoping that maybe the sun will be strong enough early next week and we will get some significant melting. I will probably still ride a couple of loops around the fields at home, but I was hoping our "real" riding season would extend until New Year's.
Horse Working animal Grey Snow Liver

Sky Snow Tree Working animal Natural landscape

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Snow Companion dog

Otherwise, I need to get my chicken run "winterized" with some deeper footing in their run, and wrap the run with plastic to keep them a little warmer. Saturday, our Historical Society is holding their annual holiday craft and antique fair, which typically has great gifts, so we'll go to that. It's my husband's birthday, so I will be baking some pumpkin cupcakes with cream cheese frosting- his favorite birthday treat. Looking forward to a short work week next week for the holiday.

Dinner tonight, I'm making a throwback Friday Night thread recipe provided by @QtrBel - it's become a house favorite here!
Will make quesadillas to go along with the rice, and maybe some sausages on the side.

Registered
We got our first real snow last night, where it actually is sticking around, I hope... I really enjoy the winter as long as it gets cold and stays cold. I can't stand the get cold, snow, warm up, melt, repeat cycle it's been the past few years. Either snow or don't, but if it snows please stick around for a while! Horse blankets went on this week too, not that either of them necessarily need them, but I'm hoping to keep Minnie's coat slicked down and to keep Toofine from wasting any calories on heating himself. Minnie didn't seem to be a fan when I put it on, but when I took it off last night to ride you could definitely see a reaction when the cold hit her! Toofine's the complete opposite. When he saw me walking with the blanket last night during our blizzard, he was ready at the gate and licked and chewed when I put it on. He has plenty of hair, but I think the Cushing's + getting older makes it a bit tough for him to stay as warm as I'd like.
Horse Working animal Fence Terrestrial animal Wood

Plans will remain unaffected here. I am going to go to the thrift store after work today to try to find some platters for Thanksgiving. The capitol is doing their Christmas tree lighting tonight along with an open house of businesses and a parade too, so SO and I are going for date night afterwards. This weekend I need to wrap up Thanksgiving shopping, I just need two more boxes of cannoli shells (I was going to make them homemade, until my Dad warned against it... it was a big fail for him when he tried) and serving platters for the charcuterie board I'm bringing. I can't wait for Wednesday night to make the pumpkin pie, pumpkin cannoli, prep the roasted veggies, and prep for the charcuterie board assembly the next morning. I'm excited, I love Thanksgiving.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone, and of course stay warm!

Registered
Happy Friday all!

@PoptartShop and @Caledonian , I hope you both get better soon. And @redbadger I hope you get heat soon. BRRRR!

It's been a cold, quiet week here and so far as I know it's not going to be any different this weekend. Supper is still up in the air.

Wracking my brain for anything interesting to contribute and I'm getting nada. LOL

Registered
Thanks @JCnGrace, it's improving.

Yes it helps @Dreamcatcher Arabians :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. I definitely don't talk the same way as I write :LOL: and, well, ringing the bell at that time of the morning was like a red rag to a bull!

Thank you for the picture of the cake. I may have sat looking at it for longer than I care to admit. I would try to make it but the end result would not look like that.

@redbadger - I hope you get heating soon. We're still without it at work. They've given us small radiators but they're not heating the rooms. I'm all but cuddling mine.

Registered
@ClearDonkey , can you share the pumpkin cannoli recipe? I'm intrigued.
I'm going to use this Pumpkin Cannoli recipe for the filling. I bought mini-chocolate chips and am going to candy some pecans to dip the ends into. Hopefully they will turn out good!

Registered
Like everyone else my area is running ~20 degrees (F) colder than normal 鈥 it鈥檚 been 21(F) at 6:00 AM the last few mornings馃く馃く

We might see some rain or not, we might see some rain mixed with snow or, not, lol. I鈥檓 ok with the cold but my hands do not appreciate this much cold this early in a southern Middle Tennessee year; this is PA weather.

One local tv station just dropped the Thanksgiving predicted temperatures from 60鈥檚 to the 50鈥檚 with rain 馃檮馃檮

SADD has never been an issue for me, but I swear TWH Rusty suffers from it; that horse is a Grumpy Stiltskin if we go more than a day without sun, lol

@redbadger I hope you get heat pretty quick.

@Caledonian thanks for the great visual answering your door , lollol. I hope the heat at your work also gets fixed sooner than later.

@ClearDonkey I had to come back in to say I LOVE that blanket requirement馃槀馃槀

Good wishes for speedy recovery to those who are not feeling well.

My sympathies to all you folks with snow and more snow. Things are really rough when Buffalo moves the football game to Detroit鈥檚 indoor. Buffalo and other areas along that snow band are expecting FEET of snow. It makes me not whine so much about the below our normal temps, at least we have clear weather and sunshine.

@lb27312 take a look at snapfish.com for gift ideas. I give them five stars for quality of product and expediting shipment. Their tracking software is great. If you look for the codes to type in, you can save a lot of money. I saved about 70% on this last order:). FWIW I did try Shutterfly a few years back and I kept getting booted off their web site, so snapfish got my business and I have not regretted it:). It is fun to make your own stuff馃馃

It鈥檚 a good thing Duncan鈥檚 previous owner alerted me that he lays down a lot - it keeps my knee jerk heart failure moments down to 30 seconds each time.

This was Thursday with Rusty standing guard馃グ馃グ
Plant Ecoregion Natural landscape Natural environment Tree

1 - 20 of 52 Posts