The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
This thread is about my riding adventure that starts today! I have no idea how to ride a horse or take care of one, but I plan on learning as much as I can about riding.

I have had an obsession with horses since I knew what a horse was and that was about 3 or 4. I'm 13, almost 14, so that's the longest lasting obsession with something I've ever had. I wanted to take riding lessons since I knew what they were, but I was unable to because they are expensive as heck.

Well, just recently my mom got a new job and told me that I could take riding lessons. And they're cheap-ish at 25 dollars a lesson. I was so excited. I still am because I have my first lesson at four, today. This day has lasted so freaking long.

So this is what I wrote on Google docs, where I was planning on having my own little journal thing because I didn't know I could sign in on this (I'm on a school Chromebook) and I was bored (COVID sucks).

Meet and Greet - November 3rd, 2020.
I got to go to the barn where I’ll be riding today and meet the instructor and horses today. The instructor was nice and so were most of the horses. There was Tawny, Samson, Sassy, and another horse I forgot the name of. Tawny is a red roan gelding who didn’t seem to get along with me. Samson the bay gelding is alright. Sassy is a pretty chestnut mare with a blaze down her nose. She seemed pretty friendly and I liked her the most. The other horse was a kill pen horse and he is blind. He didn’t come to say hi because he is shy and scared of people right now. He looked like a black horse but may be a dark bay.

I was told that I wouldn’t ride for the first 4-6 lessons. I was kind of disappointed but I understand that she wants for me to build up a relationship with the horse I was going to learn on. My instructor said that I get to choose which horse I will learn on and I think I am going to go with Sassy. But who knows, that may change. Maybe I’ll start to get along with Tawny better. Maybe Samson too.

I learned that Samson likes ham and cheese sandwiches - no mayonnaise, though - and none of the horses like pickles. I don’t blame them.

I have to wait until next week to take my first lesson, which means that this week will last forever… Dang it.

I also met Molly, who is horse for a 10 year old. She is a pretty appaloosa, but she is not nice. She threw her rider, too. She looks like one of those horses someone bought for their kid because the horse was pretty, and they also tried her out on a good day.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Apparently me and the barn have terrible luck. I just got informed that not only can I not have a lesson today, one of the horses - Sassy, the one I liked - died. They said they found her in her stall dead this morning😭. She'd gotten cut in the field and it was kind of nasty and then she coliced. The lady said she didn't want any of her students there because they have to get her body out. I feel bad for them but I feel bad because I'm disappointed that I can't learn anything horse-related today.

She said that Sassy was going to get cremated. I am kinda upset too even though I barely knew the horse. She was really friendly and gentle (and lazy).

So therefore my riding journey is postponed for a while - probably a week or more. I feel really selfish now too :(.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the horse obsessed world! Looking forward to watching your horse-journey. Let us know how your lesson goes today.
Thanks for reading (wait, is that what you're supposed to say???). I hope you don't mind me not having a writing style. It's a little bit everywhere right now because I haven't done much writing so I'm trying to figure it out. I'm also what kids would call "dry" I think because I have kind of a hard time relaying my emotions into my writing. So if anything seems kind of empty, I'm sorry. I'm still figuring this writing thing out.😀

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My lesson has been rescheduled for tomorrow at four. I'm trying not to get too excited because of what happened last time, but it's not working. The thought of just being around a horse makes me excited.

I was told that Sassy suffered before she died (her stall was a mess) but the vet said that she only suffered for about a minute, and her death was quick. It's better than suffering for a long time and having a slow death. But still, I wanted to cry when I heard that even though I hardly knew the horse. I hate the thought of anything suffering.

I was kind of surprised when l learned I had a lesson tomorrow. I thought that the owner would want time to grieve and stuff. But she was actually the one who scheduled the lesson. I guess that's good because lessons and training is her job and she's not letting grief hold her down.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited by Moderator)
I just got back from my first lesson. No problems arose that prevented me from going and the only issue was I only packed one boot sock (oops) so I had to wear one boot sock and one ankle sock which felt really weird. And I didn't even get a blister, which surprised me because I used to really bad.

We didn't do much of anything, but that was to be expected. My instructor told me about the different brushes and what they were used for then she said that I could brush him (I decided on Samson) and give him a treat and get to know him but she said that she wasn't going to hover over me, which I appreciated. I wanted to figure things out (besides, brushing is pretty simple) own my own but I also asked questions about how to brush his legs and stuff because I didn't want to be messing with a horses legs and not know what I was doing.

I brushed his legs, his body, and his mane and tail, but I couldn't get his forelocks because he kept lifting up his head. I mean, I'm pretty tall at 5'6 and he's a short horse, but when he lifts his head up he's really tall. So that failed.

I learned a bit more about him, too. I learned that he is really fast, and in speed barrels (fast as you can around one barrel) he got a six second time which is fast. My instructor said that he is pretty much an all around horse. He rides English and Western, he does halter, poles, barrels, fun shows, trail, and all that.

They also got another kill pen horse. She was really pretty but they don't know much about her.

I also got informed that they were looking for their own place (they're at a boarding barn now) and that they found a property that they like but it's 45 minutes away from us. My mom said if they get it I'll be doing every other week and she'll see if we could do 2 hour lessons instead of one hour.

I don't know if I'll have a lesson next week but I hope I do. My instructor said that I'll brush Samson for half the lesson and then I'll learn to lead him around barrels and back him up and stuff.

So I'd say it went pretty well and I'm satisfied for now. 😀

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited by Moderator)
I have a lesson scheduled for Tuesday, but the likeliness of me actually getting to go is very slim. My instructor had a baby the other day and my mom is sick with something, possibly the coronavirus. So I'll see if I get to go.

Reactions: AbbySmith

·
Registered
763 Posts
You have an amazing story! I am also a teen, and can really sympathize for you, I am kind of in the same position, kind of.
I am so sorry to hear about Sassy, that is terrible.
I am not taking lessons right now, but I totally understand your need to be around the horses, and being happy just petting them. I took lessons last year, and whenever I wasn't able to go, I was so sad for the rest of the week. It sounds like your instructor is getting you to learn a lot of the basics which is awesome! A lot of places, you show up for a lesson, and the horse is already tacked up, and all you gotta do is jump on. My instructor also got me to brush the horses, saddle them up, un-tack them, and put them away. It was really nice to learn all of that, because I had no idea how to, and I want to own my own horse one day. Stick through it! Learning the basics is essential for learning how to become a good horse person. I know it will get boring at times, but it is worth it!
I am so sorry to hear about your mom, I hope she gets better soon, and you can continue riding! In the meantime, don't give up! Read everything you can about horses, and prepare yourself for your next lessons. Read anything you can (I can give you plenty of reccomendations!), read books, look on the internet, and watch YouTube videos. Learn everything you can about everything, so you can impress your instructor when you go back. Learn the correct terms for specific pieces of tack, and brushes. My instructor would quiz me as I tacked the horse up, and would constantly ask me what this strap was called, and what that knot was called. I really enjoyed it, maybe you could ask your instructor to do the same thing. It really helped me be able to put a picture to the name. If you know what I mean. Don't give up on your dreams! I know sometimes you think no one else knows how much you love horses, but this Forum is full of people just like you, I am one of them! LOL! Good luck, and keep at it, it sounds like you are doing great!!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited by Moderator)
It sounds like your instructor is getting you to learn a lot of the basics which is awesome! A lot of places, you show up for a lesson, and the horse is already tacked up, and all you gotta do is jump on. My instructor also got me to brush the horses, saddle them up, un-tack them, and put them away. It was really nice to learn all of that, because I had no idea how to, and I want to own my own horse one day. Stick through it! Learning the basics is essential for learning how to become a good horse person.
That's pretty much exactly what she said, lol. She said that some of her students when they first arrived didn't even know how to tack up or lunge the horse and that their old trainers just throw them on the horse. I mean, sure, it'd be nice to be able to ride on my first lesson, but I want to learn how to do everything else, too. I'm not one to rely on other people doing my work for me all the time. I can do it too, you just gotta let me try!

I am so sorry to hear about your mom, I hope she gets better soon, and you can continue riding!
She is much better now, her test came back negative yesterday (insert dramatic sigh of relief). I appreciate your concern. And I've been really stuck to this website, trying to read whatever I can about anything I can. I want to learn, but I also want to go there with an open mind. Acting like you know how to do everything is not something you want to do, even though it'd be nice to surprise My instructor.

My next lesson is scheduled for December 1st. I probably could've had one sooner, but I want to have a lesson on my b-day because I have to go to school and I need something to make it better. I also might go to their Christmas party, and I'm supposed to be in a parade with the horses and the riding lesson people (or whatever you call em, lol). I'm excited!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh my gosh, my "h" key is being so difficult right now. I'm like banging on it to get it to work...

·
Registered
763 Posts
I am so glad to hear your mom is ok!
That parade sounds like a lot of fun! That will be awesome to get to see the horses in your b-day! Best present ever!!!:))

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As of now the lesson is still taking place tomorrow, but it's supposed to snow tomorrow. Not much, but it may be enough to cancel school and the lessons. I have really mixed feelings - I want it to snow, but at the same time I don't (insert me slapping my face repeatedly). I think it'll be the first time it's snowed on my birthday :).

I also want to rename my thread... it sound kind of boring, honestly. Help, anyone?

Any tips for my boots? They're kinda working boots, real plain and all, so I can't were them over my jeans. But when I wear them under my jeans my jeans barely go over them and stick out kinda funny. Is there anything I can do about this? I can't get new jeans right now. I'll post a picture of what I mean if I remember too...

Reactions: knightrider

·
Registered
763 Posts
LOL I totally get the mixed feelings on snow. I love the look, but I hate the cold!

I dunno, I kind of like the name. You could change it to something like Hope's Journal? Mine is called AbbySmith's Journal.

Boots... I LOVE boots! You could get paddock boots (i dont like them) or since you ride Western, maybe cowboy boots. I have a pair of cowboy boots, and when I wear skinny jeans, they go in the boot, and when they are boot cut, they fit over. I love them. Muck boots are also super warm for winter. I have a pair of those too, and they are awesome. They don't have heel though, so you couldn't ride in them.

·
Registered
763 Posts
These are the boots I'm asking for for Christmas. They are insulated, so I could ride in them! They are amazing! I mean, what could be better than insulated, pink camo, cowboy boots?!?!?!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, @AbbySmith! I think I'll call it All About Hope's Journal. Thanks for the suggestion! I can't call it Hope's journal though because it'd sound like my name's Hope... it's Madison. But you gave me the idea! Thank you!

Those boots are really nice. I hope you get them for Christmas! And hardly nothing is better than pink camo, insulated cowboy boots. The only thing is an actual horse... but that's hard to beat. Real hard.

·
Registered
763 Posts
LOL! True that. I would love a horse, but that's never gonna happen!

You could just call it Madison's Journal.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's snowing. And it's cold. And it's windy.

It says it's 36 degrees (Fahrenheit) outside. Pfft. It's like upper twenties with the wind blowing. This kind of off topic: I exited school, went to the pavilion and froze to death. I was wearing just a sweatshirt (my rabbit peed on my snow jacket :mad:) and it was a mix between snow and rain at the time. Then at some point it just switched to only snow. Went outside to collect eggs and give the chickens scratch and there was a hole in my rainboot. So now my toe's frozen.

I think I'll just keep it as All About Hope's Journal. It sounds pretty decent.

If you couldn't tell, I'm a wimp when it comes to the cold :rolleyes:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

A little bit of snow today. Turns out I'm not the only wimp... my chickens are huddled under their coop and won't come out. It's there first snow.

I seem to be posting a lot today. Oh, well.

·
Registered
763 Posts
LOLOL!!! I hate the cold too! Where I live it's like -10 right now, and in January, it'll get to like -40. I hate the cold!
My donkeys hate the snow! We have a lot more than you guys!
This pic was taken like a month ago, and there is about a foot and a half of snow now.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Gee, where I live it's supposedly 33 degrees right now, not nearly as cold as where you live. We have probably about a quarter inch of snow right now. Where I used to live, at the tip of Tennessee, it got a lot colder than where I live now. We got a foot of snow one year and got probably negative one there too. Coldest and most snow I've ever been in. I don't think I'd want to live where you live... to cold and too much snow. But I'm sure it's a great place. It's very pretty up there too.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Yeah, very cold! We usually get anywhere between 3 and 5 feet of snow in a year. Not fun.
The other day someone asked me if I liked the snow, and I said "No, it makes chores a lot harder". Then they were like "Oh, well at least summer is on it's way!" Like, no it's not. It just became winter!?

1 - 20 of 121 Posts