The Horse Forum banner

101 - 120 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
I'm wondering where you're seeing the pittie in her. But there's always the possibility; she's a shelter mutt and they can be mixed with everything.

Reactions: AbbySmith

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
My dad thinks the same, @~Wildheart~. Sometimes when her ears are back she kind of resembles a pittie.

--

I was working on Rosie's hoola-hoop trick when I got home from school today. I made a stand for the hoop with a skateboard because that's all I have for one. Hey, it works pretty good. I was able to get her to jump through the hoop with a stand which is great, because I want to teach her agility. After that I constructed a small course of a skateboard and hoola-hoop and taught her the command "over". We worked with that for a few minutes until I ran out of treats. I thought it might be a good time to start with toys as a reward and so I did. She did pretty good with a toy, but not as well as with a treat.

I added on another jump, this one made of wood and about one and a half feet high. She jumped over it very enthusiastically because she didn't want to hit it.

I added another one, a smaller one probably eight inches off the ground with a stick and some more wood. I then started getting her to go through the whole course, which was about 15, 20 feet long, going down hill slightly, on concrete, and straight. Concrete because the grass is wet and I don't want her to slip.

She did pretty well. After a while I stopped because Rosie was getting lazy and knocking over the obstacles. I wanted to end the session on a good note.

Right now, I'm going out to practice a little more this time, then I'm gonna watch Adam-12 (which is a really great show, btw).

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
I never got on here to update on how I did yesterday with the agility course -- I wasn't in the mood to type -- so I'll tell you now.

We never really made any progress. I was getting frustrated and she was getting lazy (she was tired) so I ended the session quickly. After that I watched Adam-12 on MeTV. It's an old cop show that's pretty awesome. I noted that every time they go around the curve in that car of theirs its tires go SCREECH! even if they're only going around about ten MPH. I think it's kind of funny. Today they couldn't make a show as great as Adam-12 or Emergency! or any of them action shows without suggestive themes or excessive drama. Kinda sad, IMO.

This morning I brought Rosie out to the modified agility course. Actually, I don't even know if it should be called an agility course. It doesn't have the tunnels, A-frame, seesaw, or weave poles. More like a jump course.

Anyway, I made it a little different. I brought out all the jumps I used yesterday along with a new one: the amazing chairs. Basically it's two lawn chairs folded up stacked up on one another. It's probably a foot and a half feet high. Haven't measured yet.

I added a turn or two in it but in the end I made it straight. I didn't want her to start guessing where I want her to go so I needed some change in the course.

Rosie did pretty good; she tired quickly so I only was out there twenty minutes or so. One thing I noticed: she'll trot up to the jump, pause, then do a super high jump. I think she does this because they aren't far enough apart and she's concentrating on the toy. I don't expect her to be perfect because this is only our second day practicing.

I'll probably go out one more time today, when it warms up, and practice with her again. I really wish I had weave poles, a tunnel, real jumps, A-frame, and seesaw but they're expensive. Especially A-frames and seesaws. I saw a couple that were in the thousands. At that point, I'll make my own.

I'll try to get my dad to help me make a few jumps this summer. If I can't I'll get someone to show me how to use a hammer without almost breaking my hammers and I'll build some myself. I don't think we'll ever compete in agility. I think it's fun just to do at home and it's good exercise for my little idiot.

Away from dogs and to horses. I get a lesson today! It's from twelve to two o' clock. I leave at eleven because the place is a long drive. I'm so excited!

I think Spec deserves some attention on here but I don't have much to say about him other than he's been a butt hole for awhile. He used to be the sweetest rabbit but now he doesn't like to be petted much anymore and he likes to bite. He never used to bite but we got Rosie and it brought out the fight-or-flight instinct in him.

I think that was always there, but having a predator in the house made it more prominent.

Finally we reach the chickens. Chick-fil-A got out yesterday. My mom said she came home from the store and she saw her in the field. Chick-fil-A's wings aren't clipped like a lot of the chickens are so she can fly out. I think it's good she can escape though; she gets picked on a lot by the other chickens. I hope we don't clip her wings.'

That's it. I'll tell about my lesson once I get back! :)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
I had my lesson. It was the most fun lesson yet.

When I got there my trainer asked me if I still wanted to use Samson. All the horses excluding the mustangs and Quinn (more on him later) were open for lessons. I could use any horse I wanted. I chose to use their new horse Gunner, who they'd gotten from the same kill pen as Traveler. They got him two days ago.

He wasn't malnourished like Traveler was but he hardly had any muscle. He'd been sitting out in the pasture for months without being groomed, resulting in rain rot on his hindquarters. He was pretty gross and I had my work cut out for me. He also had moon blindness in one eye.

My trainer and I went out to the pasture -- a muddy mess, by the way -- to get him. We had to open the gate but a horse my trainer's working with, Quinn, was standing in front of it, giving us about a two foot opening to go through. She poked Quinn's butt and clucked and told him to move but he wouldn't move. So we had to do with the tiny opening. Gunner's buddy sour with Traveler (who is not) so he was freaking out when we were going back to the trailer because they don't have a barn yet so I could groom him.

She had to go back to get Traveler and tie him up beside Gunner so I could groom him. All the grooming stuff was in the the trailer so she had to get it out.

Gunner is a palomino 10 y/o Quarter gelding, who's short enough that I can hug his neck without having to stand on my tippy-toes. His fur was pretty long and he was muddy and his mane and tail were a mess. I groomed him (he'd suddenly turned super sweet again) for a while.

It took probably forty five minutes to groom him. After I was done my trainer put some M-T-G on the rain rot and some in his tail to make it easier to brush. Does anyone else thinks it smells like bacon grease?

While I was grooming Gunner he was trying to eat the zipper on my jacket so I gave him a couple spearmint peppermints that my brother had sacrificed for the horses. He liked them so I offered one to Traveler. I thought he ate it but I later found it on the ground covered in hay and mud so I gave it to Gunner, who ate it (yuck).

Then I groomed Traveler quickly. My trainer hooked Gunner up to the lead rope (I forgot how to spell that for a minute) and handed it to me and she took Traveler so he wouldn't be freaking out. Ha. Ha.

Ha.

Yeah, he freaked out. I managed to get him into the pasture but he spun around and it was super muddy and I couldn't move quick enough with my rain boots on and clipped his hoof on my foot which kinda hurt. I have a little bruise where he did it, too. I know, big deal.

I said I probably need to switch horses so I did. My trainer un-clipped Gunner's lead rope and gave me Traveler's. Leading a blind horse is a little different than with a half-blind horse or a not-blind horse (look at those grammar skills!); I have to walk slowly, pay attention to where I was walking, and hold the rope with one hand instead of two so he wouldn't run into me.

Gunner was like, why'd you stop leading me? He acted jealous. Crazy horse.

Traveler wouldn't move when a really tall plant hit his chest. I think he thought it was a tree. We got that sorted out though.

(If you're bored, this is where it gets entertaining)

Then I saw a little gap in the trees on the other side of the pasture, and I was like, can we go over there?

I my trainer was like, sure, if you wanna.

And I'm like, okay lets go!

Not the exact dialogue, but you get what it was like hopefully.

We go over there and there's a ditch where a creek would run through. It was about three feet deep and extremely muddy. My trainer said that she'd take traveler across. They got across fine.

Gunner got over there okay, too. He slipped twice and made a nice little hole that went up to his knees but he was good.

My turn. So I start to go across and ... yep, I step in the same hole Gunner made and sunk almost to my knees. Mud is heavy and I couldn't get out. It was like fricking quicksand. My trainer tried to get me out with my boots but it was impossible so I had to get out without my boots, which were filling with mud. We were both laughing. I walked in my socks (my precious socks! sobbing), through horse pee and crap and mud, and to the gravel. At that point I was unable to feel my feet and I couldn't feel the gravel under my feet.

She led me to her truck where she turned on the heat so I could feel my feet again. I told her that I was glad my mom didn't buy me new boots because the old ones had little holes in them. She said that was probably why I lost my boots because they were filling with mud and ... yeah.

Whoops.

We sat and talked in the nice heated truck and slowly my feet regained feeling. As did my legs, which were covered in mud (I was wearing jeans).

I learned that Hope wasn't actually a bay, she was a dark buckskin that had been darkened because of the winter. Surprising.

When I asked if I could use Gunner the next lesson and lunge him, she said I could. I mean, I like Samson but Gunner is heck of a lot sweeter and he likes being groomed and he's awesome. He has his issues. I feel like I'm going to have problems with lunging the next time: I wasn't too vocal with Samson, instead I swung the lead rope around, so I'll have to be vocal with Gunner because of his eye.

I might be able to have a lesson next week on Tuesday, depending on family stuff. It's supposed to be sunny and fifty two which sounds fantastic as I haven't seen the sun in more than a week. After that it's going to rain.

I hate Tennessee winters.

My trainer said I might be able to work for my lessons, too, which would be great. A whole day of horse-related chores sounds awesome.

I forgot to mention that when I got home Rosie wouldn't stop smelling my feet until after I got a shower.

Oh, and my jacket smells like bacon grease and horse.

AND I had to use Dawn soap to get the smell of M-T-G off my hands.

Bye.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
No lesson on Tuesday. It was supposed to be sunny and in the fifties, but my school decided that would be the day we're going back to school. So no lesson. Can't do it after school, either, because we get out too late.... 😭

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
I have no idea when my next lesson is now. I'm really excited for my next lesson because I get to lunge Gunnar on the lunge line! I've never lunged a horse on a lunge line before, only in a round pen, so I can't wait.

Two days ago I worked really hard putting a little agility course together for Rosie and she completely ignored me. I got frustrated so that ended quickly.

Yesterday I shortened the course to three jumps. She did really well; I was worried she hated me for a while. The jumps consisted of a hoola-hoop, the small wooden jump, and a tall jump where I put a broom on top of two metal porch chairs. I'll have to take a picture because I can't describe it well.

The problem I've run into is her concentrating too much on her toy, to the point where she's running into the obstacles because she isn't paying attention. I don't know what I'm going to do about that. Maybe I could teach her to follow my hand or something with treats, then abandon treats and focus solely on a toy reward.

I don't think we'll ever compete. I made a course to get some of her energy out and it does pretty well.

I might make a couple actual jumps today if I get around to it. When we moved, the people who used to live there left a whole bunch of older wood from when they redid the porch in the attic of our detached garage. I could get some of that and do a little measuring and maybe make a nice jump for her. It won't be adjustable or anything fancy.

My problem is that I don't know how to use a hammer without nearly losing my fingers and the last time I used my dad's drill the drill bit broke. I have no idea how it did, but it did. I can use a hand saw, but it takes a long time and the cuts are never even. I guess I'll have to improvise.

All of this might happen if it stops snowing and warms up a bit. It hurts when you hit your hand and your hand is cold.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Yay! You have to let us know how it goes with Gunner! Im so excited for you!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
@AbbySmith Thank you! I will. I can't tell anyone at my house the exact details of what I learned because they are not horse people. :) (I use that emoji way too much. Truth is, I'm too lazy to use any other ones lol)

·
Registered
977 Posts
@AbbySmith Thank you! I will. I can't tell anyone at my house the exact details of what I learned because they are not horse people. :) (I use that emoji way too much. Truth is, I'm too lazy to use any other ones lol)
Lol! Totally get that! My family doesn't understand either and they just get bored! 🙂

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Mine does too. After hearing me talk about horses pretty much since I've been able to talk (two), they're a little tired of it now. But, hey, they brought it upon themselves! Get me lessons and obviously I'm going to talk about it. I can't keep so much happiness inside me for very long.

I've decided to set small goals for myself like my trainer said for me to do.

Here's my goals for my next lesson:
  • See how good Gunnar is at backing up. I know me and Samson struggled with that so I have no doubts that'll come up as an issue.
  • Stop feeling so guilty for cheating on Sam.
  • Lunge on a lunge line.
  • Stop being so awkward when lunging. I really struggled with this the first time I lunged. I lack the confidence that I need.
  • Get Hope to look at me. She wouldn't acknowledge me the last time.
  • DON'T get dizzy when lunging. I can't be the only one who has that problem... right?
  • Bring an extra pair of shoes just in case the mud monster decides to claim my boots. Again...
  • See Bullseye because he's adorable.
  • Ask if my trainer can teach me to pick out hooves. I doubt it, though.
  • Don't be scared of Gunnar when he gets anxious. Power through his little fit and lead him around.
  • DO NOT get stuck in the cursed ditch again.

Long term horse goals:
  • Go to my first show!
  • Be able to ride all the gaits.
  • Barrel race.

And for when I'm an adult:
  • Find somewhere that teaches working cow horse. That is so neat and looks like fun!
  • Get a horse.

Rosie small goals:
  • Get her to jump over to jumps in a row without toys or a treat.
  • Get her to leave the cattle alone. She got in trouble earlier for going after them.

Rosie long term goals:
  • Do a whole agility course.
  • Take her swimming in the creek in the mountains.
  • Take her fishing.
  • Take her to Warrior's path lake to swim.
  • Take her kayaking in the Little River (and swim!).
  • Take her to the park.
  • Take her hiking.

That's all I can think of right now.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
My dad accidentally bought pellets instead of crumble feed for the chickens. He claims he likes them better because they don't waste as much.

I seriously don't like them, though. They're twice as heavy as the crumble, super powdery, and I don't think the chickens like them much either because they've hardly touched them. They never wasted the old stuff, anyway. I think the good thing about them though is that Rosie likes them, so I can use those as treats.

I got Rosie to jump over a super high jump earlier. I'll have to measure but I think it's almost three feet. She's like a spring: she doesn't get a running start, she just jumps over and lands on all four paws. I don't know how it doesn't hurt her, but she seems to enjoy it. She over-jumps somehow, too.

The jump is like an oxer for horses. She can knock the top one off but the bottom one she can move around a little. This is good because the jump needs to have some give so it doesn't hurt her.

I'll measure it if I ever get around to it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Okay, so those jumps look a lot higher than they are. The big one is only two feet and the medium is only 16 inches. I think it looks so much bigger because Rosie's probably only 20 inches high at her withers...

And Spec is now nicknamed the attack rabbit because he likes to attack my dad. It's hilarious.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
@AbbySmith Thank you! :)

We might be getting new chicks this year. I want to do the Chick Chain from 4-H, but my parents don't want twelve more chickens. Besides, last year we were supposed to get twelve red sex link but we got twelve red sex link, one black sex link, and five barred rocks -- eighteen chickens.

We might sell five or six of the chickens. I'm pretty much the one who chooses who we sell because I take care of them and know their personalities and I think I'll sell Pigeon, Lady, Pig, Henry, Chick-fil-A, and Noodles. I want to sell Ugly, but I don't think anyone will buy her because she's deformed: her head's off to the side and so is her tail. Her wing is also messed up.

My dad wants more black sex link but I don't. They aren't very pretty and they'll get hot whenever it starts to warm up. Sometimes it gets 90+ degrees so I don't think they'll do too good. I want white leghorns, orpingtons, and maybe more red sex links or barred rocks.

But it really depends on what Rural King has and if we even get more chicks, which we probably will.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Lol! Just eat a couple of them,then you won't have too many!
They're past their prime eating point, I think; they're layers anyway. Pigeon's too skinny, and so is Chick-fil-A and Lady and Pig, but I think Henry might be a good eating chicken.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
I really, really want to get rid of Henry now. I'm thinking of eating her, but my parents wouldn't let me because they said killing, cleaning, and cooking chickens was too messy :(. I thought previously that it was Lady yelling at me in the morning, but I opened the big coop door and saw it was Henry, Pillow, and Chick-fil-A. Lady was making little trills that I couldn't hear from outside. Henry was also screaming at me and walking up and down the ramp like an idiot.

That being said, I still don't like Lady much. She still yells at me. Nothing can be done about it, I guess.

I don't understand why people make such a big deal about putting "fresh" (they aren't -- fresh is straight from a garden) vegetables in their dog's food. I tried to give Rosie lettuce and she wouldn't touch it. Same with carrots. I don't think a dog would voluntarily eat vegetables.

I wish I had a lesson this week, but I have to wait until next week :(. I'm really excited though.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I really, really want to get rid of Henry now. I'm thinking of eating her, but my parents wouldn't let me because they said killing, cleaning, and cooking chickens was too messy :(. I thought previously that it was Lady yelling at me in the morning, but I opened the big coop door and saw it was Henry, Pillow, and Chick-fil-A. Lady was making little trills that I couldn't hear from outside. Henry was also screaming at me and walking up and down the ramp like an idiot
Lol! Just do it yourself, it's not hard. The messiest part is plucking, but only if there's wind cause it blows all the feathers around. Other than that, it's super easy! I had to gut and pluck a couple ducks at the rescue a couple weeks ago, and I had so much fun!!

Sorry you can't have a lesson this week! It'll just make you even more excited for next week though! :)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
@AbbySmith I would, but my parents insist we sell. :( I guess it will make me more excited. I just want to see Gunnar and Sam lol.

I decided to make a list of everything I've taught Rosie and Spec so I can .

Rosie knows:
  • Sit
  • Down
  • Roll over
  • Play dead
  • Stay (in sit and down)
  • Fronts
  • Come
  • You're alive!
  • Sit pretty
  • Hug
  • Paws on leg (command word: paws up)
  • Touch nose on hand with treat (command words: which one?)
  • Jump through hoop (command word: through)
  • Jump over objects (command word: over)
  • Get out of room (command words: get out!)

What we're working on:
  • Jump over leg (command word: TBD)
  • Jump over arm (command word: TBD)

Spec's tricks:
  • Paw
  • High five
  • Back up
  • Paws up on above the front entrance of cage (command words: paws up)
  • Paws up on the top entrance of cage (command words: paws up here)
  • Leave it
  • Stand up
  • Spin around (only when he wants to)
  • He used to know come when called, but we're working on that again now.
  • I think I forgot one...

What we're working on:
  • Walk on hind legs (command word: TBD)
  • Give object to me (command words: give it to me)

What the chickens know:

What we're working on:
- Shut up!

101 - 120 of 134 Posts