The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or the others are actually early. Either way, how is everyone? What is going on in your world?

Plans for supper? Or activities this weekend.

I am having frozen pizza. Just got finished with my first turkey request.

And also hopefully last leaf blowing for the season. I am ready to put buckshot in my leaf blower.

Tell what's you are thinking. And what's going on with you.

Oh oh. Yesterday did that Mississippi pot roast that's been going around the interior a while. Outstanding and supper easy.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Happy Friday ALL!!! Was a busy week with work which is a good thing. I enjoy my job!

The weather here has been soooo awesome! And it’s going to be nice this weekend so going to continue to work with Captain. Also going to go get one of those big square bales of Orchard hay for the boys. Not doing much else. A friend is having surgery and it’s pretty extensive so I’m going to put a few pans of food in her freezer so her hubby just has to pop it in the oven for dinners, just got to decide what.

Dinner tonight is a light salad, I’ve been doing really good with the trying to lose a little weight so going to keep it up for a little bit longer.

Oh I do have to do leaves! I have a ton! Arghhh!! I have a blower and a leaf picker upper… but it helps if I chop up the leaves then I can fit more in there. That time of year! So probably do a little mowing and blowing!

Mississippi pot roast sounds good, I’ll have to look it up…

Went to Costco and not a toilet paper package in sight, also went to Target and nothing there either, I guess it’s starting again? WHY??!!! Lol I heard it’s getting bad in areas…. Oy vey

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
Happy Friday!
I didn't realize what day it was until aubie posted this thread, this week went by fast!

I spent the week menu planning for next week. Tomorrow I'm going to get up at 4 and head into town to beat the rush and get what's left on my list which isn't much.
I need to get my prime rib, some rib eyes for Friday night to go with the left over side dishes and smoker pellets. We have a little baby, portable electric smoker so the size of prime rib I can stuff in it will feed us all on Gobble Day but not leaving much for leftover meat. @aubie I know you smoke meat, what smoker do you use?

Last weekend we ended up with about a foot of snow. Hubby's Pete was stuck in the driveway and we spent a few hours Sunday getting it unstuck and pulled up to a spot to throw chains so he could get down the driveway onto the county road.

Tuesday it really warmed up and melted all but a couple of inches. I was finally able to pull all the horses blankets off and give them a quick brushing to get the itchiness out.

Wednesday it all melted and turned into mud.

Now it turned off sunny and cold. But I'll take the sun!

Happy Thanksgiving!
20201116_125832.jpg

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
@COWCHICK77 I also have an electric smoker. I never used the pellets in it though. But I also have a Big Green Egg that i do most of my smoking and grilling on. Both are very user friendly.
That's right, now I remember you saying you had a Big Green Egg. I definitely need user friendly..lol!

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The secret to getting that on the breast is I use tin foil and make a superman Shaped shield like on his chest. Tuck the bottom point inside the bottom of the cavity, cover and tuck the other two points under the wing. Take off half way through. The legs aren't as exposed and are juicer so they are fine by them self. With out it you can burn the breast skin.

Also it helps slow down the breast a little so thighs get the little more donenes they need and everything works out finished at same time.

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
Understandable! That's why I need "plug and play" hence the little electric pellet smoker.
We have the little Davy Crockett Green Mountain makes. It works for just the two of us and I love that it's very portable but I bet we will upgrade to a bigger one.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Surprisingly, my dad is not gone to his girlfriend's tonight - so not my usual quiet relaxation and takeout Friday. He grilled a ribeye so we had that, and green beans, and roasted potatoes and carrots.

I had thought that, because no gatherings, we were just going to have normal Thanksgiving dinner at home, so I picked up a 12-hour shift (I get time and a half AND bonus money). Just 0600 to 1800, so even getting out late enough time to get home for food. But, apparently his girlfriend had suggested he drive down to her family's beach place and spend a long weekend there, so now it's a little tangled. We seem to be doing normal Thanksgiving - dad is a big fan of turkey, I am less so, especially after 2-3 days - day-of, and then he'll head down to see her for the weekend. Gives me some quiet time.

@aubie your turkey is stunning!

I was surprised to find that I have the week off of school - no assignments due next week! But plenty of time to get ahead for the last two weeks of term if I like. (and I do.)

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
Leaves: I need to get the JD out and “mow” the leaves in the barnyard down into the Pet Sematary.

Supper was that delicious shrimp quesadilla from the Italian restaurant DH passes on the way home from work:):)

Gun/muzzle loader/archery comes on tomorrow (November 21st) and stays in until January 3rd. I am ecstatic —- NOT!

Unless someone trespasses on the surrounding farm land and as long as my horses stay out in the wide open parts of the pasture, they are safe.

There was heavy traffic on my one lane road tonight but nobody spotlighting thru the bushes into my yard - and I was waiting:devilish:

There was a blurb on the local news that there has been a huge increase in sales of hunting and fishing licenses by non-rural people, thanks to Covid1 — that also made me happy - nupe - nupe it did not. I honestly worry about my neighbor’s goats as they are right by the road for anyone night poaching.

On a good local news note, my dogs were pictured on the weather gal’s 5:00 PM weather segment the other night. I took a picture of the TV screen but I’m not sure if that’s a copywrite infringement if I post it publicly.

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
Today was pony pedicure day and it was a good thing he called last night because I didn't have it written on the calendar. Alarm set for 6:00 am and I woke at 7:35 am with him due at 8:00 am, HOLY CRAP! It's a new fangled alarm that has too much technology so I mess it up all the time. Then Little Miss threw one of her hissy fits while getting trimmed which entails her throwing herself to the ground. It's been a while since she had one of those so I don't know what brought it on. It's really quite comical to watch her 28 inches and maybe 150 pounds self throwing a temper tantrum. You just have to wait it out and then she's fine the rest of the time. I hear all you thinking "why don't you train that creature" and the deal is she only ever does that to the farrier and stands like a statue when I work with her. Good thing is he thinks it's funny too and says she behaves better than most of the other minis he trims. Majik acted like that the first time I had him trimmed after I got him and has been a perfect gentleman since, too bad she doesn't take after him. Anyway, only 1 out of 9 acting up is a pretty good farrier day.

Hubby is on a homemade pizza kick so that's what we had again. At some point he'll get sick of them and decide he hates homemade pizza. He wanted it yesterday but I'd been moving hay and didn't want to bother so talked him into some chili instead.

Supposed to rain for the next 2 days so I might just be a bum this weekend and do as little as possible.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Happy weekend and Thanksgiving when it comes.

Supper tonight will be grilled chicken and steamed veg. The turkey looks great @aubie. Makes my mouth water and puts my grilled chicken to shame!

The leaves are off the trees now. I'd planned to gather the piles caught behind fences and in the garden today. It's been a windy week and most of the piles have gone, blown down the hill to my neighbour's land.

The weather's been very unsettled. Sometimes mild enough to be out late at night in a t-shirt other times chilly and wet. It's very blustery today, the wind is buffeting the house and I can hear rain hitting the window. It's supposed to be sunny tomorrow though.

Some areas have been placed back in lockdown, while I'm not in them, travel restrictions have been put into law to prevent people moving out and into certain local authority areas. I haven't seen panic buying, most people seem to be pretty relaxed and dealing with it so they can get back to normal.

I'd planned to do nothing today, other than laundrey and housework. I was hoping not to go out, however my closest neighbour has workmen removing damaged Harling from the walls of his house and they've gone out to get away from the noise, leaving their Basset Hounds howling and barking inside the house. I'm not sure how long I'm going to last before I need to be somewhere else!

·
Registered
48,601 Posts
That turkey looked so delicious, @aubie Was that done in your Big Green Egg? I so want one of those, but they are so pricey!!! I might just bite the bullet, anyway. I love outdoor grilling.

What is a "Pete"? Cowchick saidh her husband's Pete was stuck in the driveway.

I have had to tell my mom that we are not doing Thanksgiving as a family this year. I've had to tell her mutliple times, as her dementia is progressing. I actually am just fine with a pared down version for just me and hubby and one son. Seriously, sometimes family holidays that revolve around a lot of eating just depress me. I am already hugely overweight, so don't need that.

The snow geese and Tundra Swans have arrived on their journeys south. They are so beautiful out in the fields. Many more will come. The soft honking, in the evening, is just lovely. Today, no rain. we have had just rain and wind for untold days, so one dry day brings everyone out for walks and rides. I am grateful.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Wow, Big Green Eggs are expensive @aubie ! At least if you use it regularly, then it's worth the money, especially if it produces tasty food.

I saw my first Christmas tree and decorations in a private house this morning; they're awfully early. Although, I can understand people looking for something to look forward to and celebrate after the last year.

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@Caledonian I got it a long time ago. Now the warehouse store offer better deals, and their is more compation at better prices. And admittedly it take a long time, but it's so efficient on fuel, and so tight when you close it off it completely shuts off you can relight charcoal. So you do save over time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts