The Horse Forum banner

21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Id also agree in not calling the vet at this point. I don't see anything being physically wrong that you can't deal with on your own.

·
Registered
17,159 Posts
Definitely a good idea to call the vet out. Sounds like something's happened to him, but try to keep a positive attitude, even though it's hard. Try not to think of re-doing everything, but figuring out what's wrong & working through it. Day by day. Hopefully you will have him back to his old self soon.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
What does your mom SAY happened? Can you read between the lines?
We don't speak anymore. I didn't even bother asking. I know what she's like, and I've seen what she does to horses, so I can assume. She has polar opposite ideas and skills than I, and we do not mesh in our horsemanship styles. She's very loud, aggressive and a classic "know it all". If it's not her way it's the wrong way. She's turned nice horses into monsters, Flippers, rearers, buckers, biters and kickers. I shouldn't have left him there but I had no choice, and now I'm paying for it :(

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
I agree in treating for ulcers. We are using a supplement for one of our mares made by Redmond Rock it is a clay based supplement to help with stomach ulcers. So far our mare has put on a little weight and seems to be feeling much better.

Sorry to hear about Trouble but I think you have a good game plan and he will come around.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Okay, I'm putting my feelings aside and making a plan.

How does my feed plan sound? Broken down:
Free choice hay
Grazing 6 hours a day plus hay
One cup of honesty pellets
1 scoop (20cc) of vit/min supplement
One cup of vegetable oil
given at around 4pm for supper

Im going to get a round of omezaperole for him- do I have to go to a vet for that? What brand should I use?

I will hold out calling the vet and wait another month for signs of improvement.

I'll be spending time every night sitting in his stall with him.

He'll be coming along with us when we go to cut fence posts, etc to just stand tied and be around us.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I see he's an appy. They are sensitive, very smart and he will have to learn to trust you again. Give him time. Spend all the time you can with him... just brushing, walking, showing him he's back in good hands.
As for the ulcer medicine, you can order it online. It's the active ingredient in ulcergard.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
I've used abler AbProzole. Took a few weeks as it ships from the Pacific SW. Cost effective too. I had enough to treat a 1300 lbs horse for 30+ days, but ended up using it on a smaller one so I have extra. Was around $300.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Even if he had the worst life ever for a month, I don't think that it will undo completely how you raised him. It might take him a minute to realize he's ok but he'll get it. You already have him almost to the way he used to halter. Better use of money would probably be just to treat him for ulcers, just in case, and treat him the way you always have. He'll come around. Plus, even if he were in the best hands, he would still have to acclimate himself and find his place.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Just give him the hay and let him graze. I do not know what honesty pellets are ..hay ? Do not forget the free choice salt !

·
Registered
410 Posts
An old cat of my sister's was ruined like this; although it's not the same with a cat or a horse.
He was SO lovable. He loved people, attention, and pats. He would follow you and snuggle, and he was a really good comfort when you were sad.
We had went on a two week vacation, and he stayed with our uncle. When we got back, he was hiding from us. He loved my sister, and came EVERY SINGLE TIME she called otherwise, but stayed hidden then. After a couple days, he started coming out but wouldn't let anyone near.
He's hated men ever since, and it took a year before he liked his family again.

If I was you in this situation, I'd want to wham a baseball bat into your Mom's face, because I can't take people as they are, often enough, much less butts who hurt and ruined my friend.

Reactions: Blue

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
Okay, I'm putting my feelings aside and making a plan.

How does my feed plan sound? Broken down:
Free choice hay
Grazing 6 hours a day plus hay
One cup of honesty pellets
1 scoop (20cc) of vit/min supplement
One cup of vegetable oil
given at around 4pm for supper

Im going to get a round of omezaperole for him- do I have to go to a vet for that? What brand should I use?

I will hold out calling the vet and wait another month for signs of improvement.

I'll be spending time every night sitting in his stall with him.

He'll be coming along with us when we go to cut fence posts, etc to just stand tied and be around us.
Feed sounds fine. Don't love the vege oil, I think there are better options. I'm also not concerned about him gaining weight now that he's back with you so would just let it happen on it's own. Honestly he's always appeared on the heavy side to me and while pics and such aren't the greatest he's far from skinny.

You can get ulcergard which in the states at least is $30/day. There are other kinds you can get online (generic omeprazole) but they aren't officially approved. Wouldn't hurt as you're mostly doing it as a trial. The only official treatment is gastrogard which is Rx and is exactly the same as ulcergard.

Yup just hang out and TRY not to worry about him or get upset. Obviously correct him if he's bad but mostly just ignore him and let him come to you. I really don't think it will take him long to come around. You're "his person" and he knows that.

·
Administrator
35,822 Posts
Sweet Feed can cause hind gut ulcers but I don't see that they'd cause him to be as mentally unsettled as you describe
It could be that he's been traumatized by overly rough handling, I've seen really solid horses completely changed by a really short time in bad hands but you can over come that just by calmly picking up his old way of being cared for
I would be inclined to call the vet, you know your mother and we don't, as I would want to rule out neurological disorders like Lyme Disease or a brain tumour

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
How horrible for you and your horse! I'm so sorry. I understand because I sold a horse a few years ago and got him back after 2 years a mess. About 200# underweight and afraid of EVERYTHING! It took some time, but he came back mentally and physically. I did have to spend some time just letting him be. Relaxed and calm before we could begin building confidence again. In the end he was the same old "friend" I had in the beginning.

You can do this but I would treat for ulcers as a precaution. That is the most likely problem right now. And good hoof and mouth care.

Please let us know how it's going.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
So,

A few days ago we did some work cutting fence posts and I decided that wherever I go, he goes too. He was ponied off the four wheeler and brought out to the back lot to stand tied while listening to the chainsaw run and all that hubub.

For it being his first time ponied he did amazing! On the way back he did much much better and trotted beside the trailer like a pro. He also listened to the chainsaw intently but not afraid. I've narrowed down his fear to strictly whenever he's in the barn. Outside he is mostly okay. He's much more energetic this week, and I caught him lying down sleeping outside when I got home from work yesterday.

We're finally on a good schedule I'm happy with- he goes out at six am before I leave for work and goes in his stall at dusk, and is putting himself in at night. All I have to do is close the gate. For some odd reason he does not want to eat his grain for the last few days, he will eat half and leave it for the chickens to peck at. In a few weeks I will be getting him some omezaperole and starting him on a dose of that to see if he eats better. I would start right now but I have a car to put on the road and some bills to catch up on.

Over all he's doing better. He gets a little snotty in the barn and requires some firm boundaries, but hopefully I can ride next week and see how he is with that.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
@WhattaTroublemaker, that's good news. May I ask, is the grain necessary? And what kind are you feeding him?
He gets one cup of honesty pellets a day for his supplements, plus a cup of oil for his coat and to help the supplement stick to the grain. When that bag is done I'm switching to hay cubes/pellets.

21 - 40 of 81 Posts