The Horse Forum banner

A New All Be It Late Friday Night Conversation

2174 85
Sorry to anyone wondering. Have not been on in a while. What a week. My internet went out, going through huge hassle to get new. Should be here today. My Ipad finally gave it up. Its what i use for here. Had log on troubles with laptop, which is probably on last leg as well. - got both around the same time years ago.

Hope yours was better. What happened to you this week?

Plans for the weekend?

Whats for supper? No clue. Honestly at this point whatever I come across. Last night fast food burger

Sorry for lack of topics or kick off questions this week. Yall always tote more than your share of the water and I am leaning on it again this week.

Rectangle Font Circle Event Brand
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
12,787 Posts
YAY!!! Just so you know @aubie, the thread I just deleted was “aubie’s Friday Night Conversation because I figured something happened. I’m glad it was technical problems and nothing human or animal. Please don’t be mad at me — I filled in once or twice in the past and hoped it would be ok today I waited until 11:00, lollol.

Devices - blah! My desktop is probably 7-8 years old. My IPad is 5 years. I don’t even know where the laptop is; DH has some sort of race car engine performance program on it and it’s been around since 2005. The newest thing is my Iphine 12 and it was outdated when I broke down and traded my Iphone5 for it🤯🤯

A new question I had was some of the new TV commercials that are so stupid they’re funny. I have seen some doozies lately and wondered if anyone else had, lol.

·
Registered
9,332 Posts
Fall didn't arrive only on the calendars here in Vermont, it showed up for real yesterday! It's a chilly, blustery day today with highs around 45*F/7*C. There's a cold, stiff Canadian wind blowing strongly so my retired old ladies are in sheets today as a bit of a windbreaker. They seem happy enough that way. Both need to keep their calories on their bodies, not shivered off into the wind. Fortunately they have plenty of browsing in the pasture to keep them fueled. Our fall colors are slowly coming in, but there's still a lot of fading green right now. In a couple more weeks, this tree line with be glowing with yellow leaves.
Sky Plant Cloud Horse Tree

Interesting week for me, I took my first work trip since Feb 2020. I've worked remotely since the early 2010s, but for most of that time traveled every other week or so. I could pack and unpack a carry on in my sleep, and tell you every decent food spot in all the major east coast airports. 😉 It was really odd to be back on the road after such a long break. I was bracing myself for terrible travel delays, but actually all three of the flights I was on took off and landed early. I didn't get home until about 1:30am on Wednesday, and I've been trying to reset my internal clock all week. Didn't help that I came home to cold rain, which always makes animal chores more challenging.

Just have to make it through a few more hours of Zoom meetings today. I'm looking forward to being back in the saddle this weekend; 5 days is the longest I've gone without riding in months!

·
Registered
17,772 Posts
Internet troubles are no fun, Aubie. Happy Friday all! :)

Leftovers for tonight, although I'm in the office today & there's a hearing, so I'll likely be having a big lunch. Yum! :D

Still not sure what's going on for next month, regarding working a hybrid schedule...for the past 2 mos we've been hybrid, & everyone loves it. Including me. So I hope it continues, but not sure. We've been going on a month-by-month basis. Fingers crossed!

Fall is definitely here, too! Got chilly at night quick & in the morning. Feels nice during the day though so far. Gonna be in the high 60's & 70's next week I'm excited for that! I'm so done with the humidity of summer LOL.

Tomorrow I'm going with my friend to a fun haunted attraction, should be a good time! Otherwise, not much planned this weekend. May ride if the weather cooperates, it may rain Sunday.

·
Registered
881 Posts
happy Friday!
Sorry about that Internet and iPad situation Aubie! Sounds like a pain!

I am just struggling this week..
I went out Saturday and played golf with the fam for my brothers birthday, and the day before he was throwing up and said it was just food poisoning.. Monday I woke up and starting throwing up, a lot. 🤮 obv not food poisoning.
I hate throwing up, I’m actually terrified of throwing up for some reason. Anyway. I sat on the bathroom floor all day, about every 30 minutes I threw up, not fun.
finally Tuesday I felt a bit better, but I got a migraine and wasn’t eating or drinking anything because of Monday, which made my temps just drop so I was shaking like a leaf I was sooo cold, but never had a fever, unless I had one and never knew, but I was cold the whole two days. Wednesday I ended up working, I cut a bunch of corn stalks and made bundles to sell and decorate at the farm, took 3 hours and didn’t drink any water because I was still off, oops.. thankfully I was able to keep down some food and water that day.
And I haven’t slept good since Last weekend.

but then my trainer got the Flu, and she was really sick :(. And then one our close neighbors unexpectedly passed, he was a family friend,
so then I had to go to that funeral..

and then I broke my favorite mug!😂

Thankfully the highlight of my week was working with my big guy, and watching him improve his canter going the direction that’s hard for him. And this morning, was chilly (well for me anyway)
It was low 50s°, with a lot of breeze. I was able to pull out my cowgirl boots and jeans which was so nice and was able to work on the farm early this morning.
my trainers coming in a bit and I’m excited to see how my guy is going to do today.

dinner is probably going to be sausage and potato soup, but a spicy version.

No plans for the weekend, thankfully

hope everyone had a good week and will have a good weekend!
Cloud Sky Atmosphere Plant Natural landscape
Sky Plant Atmosphere Ecoregion Cloud

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Ah, well, I'm kicking the devil-spawn osteoporosis drug Alendronate, so in support of that, learning a whole new way of cooking (for the umpteenth time). Fortunately this particular protocol is not radical, but certainly doesn't support frozen pizza and Tater Tots! LOL! So although there's a lean pork chop involved, the emphasis will be heavy on veggies, far more than I'm used to. A couple loaves of spelt bread in the oven.

Started stripping the decks yesterday. One more section to go, but being south facing, may get too much sun today. Very hard work and I hate it! But the weather's fine and we're enjoying it!

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
It's never easy when the interent and technology fail. My laptop is a few months old, an HP, it replaced a similar version which I'd had for a good number of years. Mine are used for work and leisure so they're doing well if they last five years of constant use, travelling and rough handling.

I'm on leave until next Saturday. I've no idea what my plans are, it was a last minute decision to take time off mainly to use up days and I really needed time away from work.

No plans for tonight. It's evening here and we're in the gloaming - it'll be dark really soon. The weather is cooler about 13C/55F, still sunny and calm.

Tea tonight was a tuna steak, veg and chips (fries). I'm going to have a bowl of porridge and mint tea just before bed in a couple of hours.

I went into town this morning to do a food shop; get new keys cut for my front door, as I lost one; and, lastly, to visit my bank to get them to change paper money into the polymer type. I forgot that I had a lot of paper twenty pound notes in a drawer and had a bit of a panic when someone reminded me that the deadline to change them is next week.

I hope to ride sometime next week at least for a short time as I haven't been able to due to a sore hand. Riding one handed is fine but everything else needs two! It's been giving me a lot of problems so I'll need to go back to the doc to discuss the lack of power and movement in my fingers. Meanwhile, archery is definitely on hold for a month or longer.

happy Friday everyone!

·
Registered
51,485 Posts
Love the title! I was a bit confused , at first. "All be it". Then I realized you meant "albeit"..
Here's what a google search presented:

Albeit dates to the 14th century and comes from a Middle English word meaning, literally, "all (or completely) though it be." Its heritage is clear in its pronunciation, which is as though it were three words instead of one: all, be, it. In the early 20th century, albeit was accused of being archaic.

Not much to report here. Autumn is evident. wind blew the awful wildfire smoke into someone else's backyard. sorry, but glad to see it gone. I am getting the urges to make soup again. The Soup Goddess awakes from her slumber!

"Release the Soup Goddess!"

·
Super Moderator
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
3,124 Posts
Happy Friday!

That's so frustrating, @aubie ! Gosh, what is it about technology where everything seems to just give up all at once??

Haven't read everyone else's posts yet, but will shortly!

My week was all right. Started out rough -- just total exhaustion from working too hard all summer, and various deadline pressure from this time of year -- and I wasn't able to get really any of the work done that I had intended to do on my days off. Apparently I needed to take them as, you know, ACTUAL days OFF. My mind and body do feel much better for having done that, and I'm able to tackle some tasks again!

I've been riding three times this week. Hoping to make it four. Monday's ride was a bit of a bust -- I was feeling too lousy and anxious, and the weather had me on edge -- but Elle had some good lungeing instead. In fact, she just kept going and going and going... Crazy stamina in that horse!

Tuesday's ride was funny. Mostly really good. Elle is still a bit funny about the outdoor arena at the new place, but getting much better. Cars and huge loud schoolbuses blasting by the end of the arena didn't bother her, but two ladies wearing sun hats and pushing a stroller got her goat. And she kept shying a little going past this flower bed in one corner -- so we made friends with it afterwards.

Horse Plant Sky Ecoregion Working animal

We also had a lesson yesterday morning, too, which was perfect for getting me focused again and getting me out of my head! My coach says Elle, despite her advanced age, is looking and moving her best in years!

Overall, really enjoying the cooler weather and LACK of BUGS!! However, I'm not ready to see the leaves starting to turn. But they don't care what I think!!

Dinner tonight is probably going to be a frozen lasagna. Even though it's a gorgeous night, I should stay home and get some work done. Ugh! Oh well, riding tomorrow night, hopefully!!

·
Registered
51,485 Posts
Ah, well, I'm kicking the devil-spawn osteoporosis drug Alendronate, so in support of that, learning a whole new way of cooking (for the umpteenth time). Fortunately this particular protocol is not radical, but certainly doesn't support frozen pizza and Tater Tots! LOL! So although there's a lean pork chop involved, the emphasis will be heavy on veggies, far more than I'm used to. A couple loaves of spelt bread in the oven.

what is this drug and why is it devil spawn? just curious

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
YAY!!! Just so you know @aubie, the thread I just deleted was “aubie’s Friday Night Conversation because I figured something happened. I’m glad it was technical problems and nothing human or animal. Please don’t be mad at me — I filled in once or twice in the past and hoped it would be ok today I waited until 11:00, lollol.

Devices - blah! My desktop is probably 7-8 years old. My IPad is 5 years. I don’t even know where the laptop is; DH has some sort of race car engine performance program on it and it’s been around since 2005. The newest thing is my Iphine 12 and it was outdated when I broke down and traded my Iphone5 for it🤯🤯

A new question I had was some of the new TV commercials that are so stupid they’re funny. I have seen some doozies lately and wondered if anyone else had, lol.
I could never be mad at you. So glad you did those, and were looking out today.

My new router thing came so back up.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
One brand name is Fosamax. It is a bisphosphonate, a class of industrial chemicals used in detergents, fertilizers, etc. The problems with "the drug" go back to the ways in which osteoporosis/osteopenia are diagnosed. But the short story is side effects. For me (for many), inexplicable chronic pain that feels more like being poisoned rather than some biological source. Also, digestive upset, leading to use of NSAIDS, leading to stomach pain, leading to use of antacid drugs, with a side effect of ulcers. Worse, chronic heartburn, with a side effect of increased risk for esophageal cancer. And the fact that it can increase the risk of the very thing it is supposed to prevent: Fracture. It works by stopping the natural removal of old bone. The problem is, the old bone is old...it's brittle. It is not flexible. So as you take the drug, your later bone scans may show more density, but that's essentially old, brittle bone. Your risk of fracture may actually increase due to the use of the drug.

Oh, and it can increase the risk of lower jaw bone death.

·
Premium Member
7,966 Posts
@aubie I’m sorry about your computer troubles.

@baysfordays I hate throwing up!

It’s been a busy week. We are finally weaning calves on the mountain. I ended up needing Queen, so I was very lucky in many ways the ankle was just twisted. She was sound when I took her, but after the trailer ride up the mountain she was a little sore when I got on. Moving it relaxed it and she was good to go afterwards. Husband figured the day was actually a benefit to her recovery, and she’s been solid since.

It was a rough day for a young horse though, and traditionally something we don’t do with them. I was out horses though, and so I had to put her in the situation. She did really well and I was super happy with her.

Then we processed calves, and I was accident prone. We were branding the fall calves as we processed, and one managed to get his leg over the chute and kick me in the knee. Then I mashed my finger in the chute, and then I fell off the deck for no apparent reason at all. I figured I was lucky I wasn’t horseback that day or I’d have been bucked off with my luck.

To top off the business of work, it is homecoming week for the girls, so that’s added a lot of obligations. It’s just been a stressful week overall to be honest. I am happy fall work has started though. We have one more field to bale, and I just want it to be done with. I hoped we’d big bale it, but with horse hay so high in demand we are little baling it. I know there is a lot of money in doing so, but I don’t like the idea of anyone feeding third crop alfalfa to a horse from our climate. It’s dairy hay. I guess it’s not my problem who the buyer sells to, and I’ve seen people feed hot hay to horses before, but I don’t agree with doing so unless there are special considerations…

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Biggest thing: I had my first solo shift working my new job yesterday! It went well. Working again tomorrow. Next week gets a little weirder - I may be doing ambulance shifts instead. The biggest issue right now is we have more medics than we have vehicles, and those take time to order, and subsequently to kit out (even our SUVs, which are Tahoes, have to be the fancy-pants police interceptor style, and then get modded with all the storage, extra battery, refrigerator, etc). I think some may be on order, so. Hopefully soon. I really enjoy it the work.

The choir is back to its regular schedule, which is great - it's so nice to be back with everyone. Rumor has it, coffee may even return to coffee hour sometime this fall. (We have not had coffee for two reasons: one, COVID, and two, the lack of someone to actually make coffee. In the past we've had one of the teens be a paid beadle and one of the adults volunteer to supervise. Haven't found anyone yet. The Ops committee is on it, though.)

I've gone riding three times this week, in generally good weather, too - bright, dry, not too hot. The bugs have at least temporarily retreated, especially today - I think it was around 55F by the time I got to the barn. Wednesday we went on an adventure - we finally crossed the river after so long, and he didn't fuss too badly about it. However, we found out that when National Grid was working on the powerlines earlier this year, they put down about 50 feet of ballast uphill from the railroad tracks, and it's fist-to-cantaloupe sized rocks, all edged, absolutely rotten. There are patches where dirt and grass is filling in, but they're pretty sparse. It was a mess, trying to shuffle along the edge of the trail in the underbrush. But we got up to the hill and roamed around for a while, where we haven't been in more than a year. I think I wore him out. Next week perhaps we're going to try some other new (to us) trails. Getting a little bored of the loop along the lake, and the hill across the street is just brutal. There are some other places we can go, if he's willing, and we basically have a lot of leeway as to where and how far we can go as long as we don't do anything crazy and dangerous.

Kind of needing a nap at the moment, but worried I won't fall asleep tonight if I don't. (I don't work til 10am tomorrow, but still need my sleep).

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
This week was my first week at my new job - yippee! I hadn't realized before how much of a toll my previous job was taking on my mental health, and already after week one of the new job and I know things are going to be way better than the previous situation. All of coworkers seem awesome, and the culture at this workplace is so much better than the previous place. It is also a job in the field I've wanted to get into revolving around drinking water... So happy!!!

This weekend I am attending two separate dressage clinics - one for Paul Belasik (classical dressage trainer) and one for Rebecca Hughes (Britain dressage judge). I have never been to a clinic before as an auditor, so I am very excited to see the variety of horses and riders taking part. I couldn't justify the $300/45 minutes of instruction this year, but when we are schooling higher level movements I think I will start attending the 'higher-dollar' clinics.

I don't have much to say beyond that - I hope everyone has a marvelous weekend!

·
Registered
12,787 Posts
I have to catch up on this entire thread.😇😇

The weather was great today! I didn’t even sweat at the barn and the dogs had happy-waggy-tails going out to check fences😘😘

I take frequent pictures and sometimes videos to see what I don’t really see with my horses - my eyes lie to me. Since I didn’t make it to the attic today, as I had planned, this is only 23 seconds of 28 yr old TWH Rusty & coming 27 yr old DWB Duncan because:

1. I lovelovelove these fellas.

2. I am tagging @ACinATX to look at TWH Rusty, who is the sorrel horse in front. See how high his neck is set? He is in relaxed mode if you watch his Walking Horse head bob. His breeder gave him the registered name of “Ultra’s Sky Gazer”. Ultra is part of his family name, and my theory about Sky Gazer is that he was born with his head in the clouds😂🥰

Rusty is my only Walking Horse who has the true & consistent champagne-smooth running walk that people pay big bucks for. He has lost his muscle memory from not being ridden in several years but I could have sold him more than once for that running walk when he was young.

Anyway, 16.1H Rusty looks uncomfortable but he isn’t; I know because he has seen chiropractors for years, when needed. This is just who he is.

Duncan the 17H Dutch Warmblood, while having a high set to his neck, has a much lower head carriage when completely relaxed — he’s also looking for a good spot to grab some grass🥰

1 - 20 of 86 Posts