The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
This was interesting, but confusing to me. Some questions.

1. I thought having thick sole was good, so why is he trimming so much dead sole away? From what I understand, he's trying to make it so that the hoof is trimmed at the angle of the sole, but why does he need to trim so much sole away to do that?

2. If he trims it like that, the toe is super long. I mean, if I look at fig 4 and then extrapolate what it would look like with that supposedly excess heel gone, the toe looks even longer than it already was. So how is his proposed trim a good thing?

Pardon me if these questions are a little dumb, I haven't had my coffee yet.

Reactions: Feathers7

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
Subbing to read later.

I have a very good farrier with years of practice trimming/shoeing using horses. When a question arises, or horse seems nqr, I carry them to the equine vet for assessment and xrays. Has always worked.

But then I am admittedly OCD r/t soundness in my horses

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Funny. After posting this I discovered I had posted the exact same article in 2015. Interesting comments from Patty Stiller that should answer most or all of your questions.

https://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/trimming-live-sole-592458/

RE: the toe looks even longer than it already was. So how is his proposed trim a good thing?
Comment: The toe may 'look' longer but it really can't be as dead feet don't grow:) The trim is a good thing as it returns the hoof to proper anatomy. Bone angles etc.

Edit: A friends wife was given a coffee cup that reads, "Add coffee for instant human".

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Edit: A friends wife was given a coffee cup that reads, "Add coffee for instant human".
I NEED that cup!!! And thank you, I will refer to the previous thread. I'm always trying to learn more about hooves.

Reactions: JoBlueQuarter
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.