The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My advice: invest in emergency release ties before you wind up with a giant vet bill! :cry: Last week I was unloading Lemonade from a slant load trailer when she pulled back HARD. By the time I realized what was happening, she was halfway out of the trailer and the quick-release knot in her lead rope had tightened so much I couldn't get it undone! She leaped back up in the trailer, catching her chest on the sharp corner of the divider :-(.

The girlie in question:

The Aftermath:
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

The cut's about 7" long, 5" deep.

All stitched up!:

And this is a horse that trailers very well! Be safe, learn from my mistakes!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey accidents happen, hope she heals well. I use the tie blocker rings in my trailer and they seem to be working well.
Thank you! :D She's a rock, and acts like it's not even there.

Yikes, poor girl.

That's one of the reasons that I was taught to always untie your horse and be ready to guide them out before you open the door or remove the butt-chain.
I definitely had a lapse of judgement. I had already unloaded my gelding and didn't think to do up the door again :oops:

I have to take her back up on Wednesday to get them removed, does anyone have a recommendation on safety ties? Blocker rings, equi-ping, regular trailer ties? Any help greatly appreciated :smile:

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I'd think regular quick release snap ties would be best. You could go with the blocker rings as they're pretty slick but I think depending on where they were bolted in your rig they could just bang around and make a bunch of noise which is no good for the babies.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
This is why I would never trailer without some sort of breakaway or leather halter, and always untie before opening the door! Poor baby, I hope it heals nicely!!

A prime example of something that could have gone horribly wrong in my world: my father and I had just transported my horse several hours away, and when we got to the barn I was walking to untie the horse. My dear non-horsey dad didn't know any better, and opened the door to the trailer. Horse decided to back out, and freaked out when his head wouldn't move. All it took was a couple of good pulls and his leather halter snapped, he backed out, and was calmly eating grass all while I was still racing over. Everyone has their own opinions, but I will not trailer without one.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
I don't tie my guys. Never had a problem. When my friends use my trailer, if they tie, they tie to a blocker tie ring clipped onto twine - double safety. If a trailer rolled and the horses we're untied, the horses would be able to move with the trailer and not hang themselves on their rope or get tangled in it. I have heard of crashes in which the horse was severly injured/killed due to their lead rope - even something breakaway may not release fast enough. If you have a horse that turns around or misbehaves untied (and its a hazard) then by all means, tie. Also, not tying alows the horses to lower their head (assuming no manger) and clear their respiratory system. I have had my horses/other horses looking under the dividers and saying hi to each other when loading, but in my experience, once you get going the horses are on travel mode and are focused on balancing themselves.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Most people I know tie up in a trailer, but ALWAYS to something breakable such as string with a release knot, never tied up fast with a release knot. If my horse pulled back the string would hopefully break.

What was the sharp edge on the divider?

Hope your horse recovers fast :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
I tie but I have an open top trailer. I watched the previous owners (of the float) young warmblood rear and spin to turn herself around in the float when she wasn't tied. No injuries luckily but I tie in case my youngster gets a similar idea into her head. In a closed trailer I usually don't tie. Hope you horse heals quickly

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
We always tie solidly and have never had a problem. The problem is not from tying but from opening the door or butt bar with the horse still tied.

When we use our Sooner 6 horse slant, I run the lead from through the tie ring and tuck it over the top of the hinge into the next stall back. Then, I shut the divider and tie the horse to the stall tie ring in the stall behind the horse. That way I can release each horse without getting in that stall or going around and opening the front drop-down doors.

Our horses all trailer and tie well and always wait for us to tell them to "back up". But, when I trained for the public and hauled a lot of horses I did not know, I found this to be the safest way to trailer even idiots.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
We always tie solidly and have never had a problem. The problem is not from tying but from opening the door or butt bar with the horse still tied.

When we use our Sooner 6 horse slant, I run the lead from through the tie ring and tuck it over the top of the hinge into the next stall back. Then, I shut the divider and tie the horse to the stall tie ring in the stall behind the horse. That way I can release each horse without getting in that stall or going around and opening the front drop-down doors.
I also use this method and I've tied off to the ring outside the window when I have a horse I just don't/won't/can't trust. That way, I can untie outside and don't even have to put my hand in the trailer with a real spook.

I removed my butt bar from my trailer, I've seen too many disasters when the horse gets anxious and starts backing and hits that thing.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Exactly. This is why I NEVER trailer without a breakaway or a leather halter.
I tie with bungee trailer ties.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Thanks for the good advice! It is always good to be reminded of the ways horses are able to hurt themselves. Good luck to your beautiful "knothead".:p

·
Registered
7,788 Posts
I tie in the trailer.

But the doors get closed before they are tied.
And they are untied before the doors get opened.

And I haul with breakaway halters.

And there are panic snaps on the window side of all the trailer ties.

Can't be too careful!

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
I don't tie and keep the divider tied open when it's just my horse. When I have 2 horses, I tie because I think the divider is a little bit high and I don't want my horse thinking about climbing under it (or the more likely scenario, trying to reach a bit of tasty hay that's on the other horse's side at an inopportune moment) When I do tie, I use this tie: Tie-Safe Ties - Cross Ties & Trailer Ties from SmartPak Equine But you could also use a regular lead rope or non-safety tie with something like an equi-ping: Equi-Ping | Dover Saddlery

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Off topic but that first happy picture of her & her name being Lemonade is adorable. What a cute name for a palomino.
Aww, thank you! I find her one droopy eye endearing ;-)

Thanks for the good advice! It is always good to be reminded of the ways horses are able to hurt themselves. Good luck to your beautiful "knothead".:p
Thank you! Yep, I got too comfortable with her trailering skills :oops:

Our horses all trailer and tie well and always wait for us to tell them to "back up". But, when I trained for the public and hauled a lot of horses I did not know, I found this to be the safest way to trailer even idiots.
THIS is what I'm going to be doing from now on. Thank you so much for the idea!

Most people I know tie up in a trailer, but ALWAYS to something breakable such as string with a release knot, never tied up fast with a release knot. If my horse pulled back the string would hopefully break.

What was the sharp edge on the divider?

Hope your horse recovers fast :)
She caught herself on the top corner on the end of the swing divider when she jumped back up into the trailer :-(

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.