The Horse Forum banner

A question of size!

3522 Views 29 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  Cari123
Hi everyone,

I just joined and am looking for some reassurance honestly. I'll try to post in the welcome area right away too. Sorry to rush right into my question!

I recently fell in love with and bought a lovely little (tiny) warmblood mare. She's a gem and young at 3. Fantastic personality, manners and a joy to work with. I'm not regretting the purchase but her size is nagging at me! She's 14.1. Her former trainer swears by the string method and believes she's done for height. She was being sold due to her height (or lack there of) by a show jumping barn.

I was looking for a sweet, eager personality and athleticism for a trail partner. I didn't question her height until looking at pictures some time after... Is she too small? Would it bother you? Do you think she may yet grow??

I'm an experienced rider with 15 years under my belt, however it's been a long time since I purchased a horse and I admittedly got carried away. My experience is primarily with ottbs and Appaloosas. Pictured is the trainer- slightly taller but slimmer than me. I'm stocky and muscular at 145 lbs and 5'4 with short legs. She carried me well and will not be worked heavily until she matures. We do work within the 20% weight ratio but ug... I just don't know!

Thanks so much.

Attachments

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 30 Posts
I also think you look fine, and nothing wrong with your size ratio.
How is she bred, Warmblood wise,and what age is she now?
her size, compared to you is fine, but far as level you wish to show at, her size could influence that aspect
Myself, I currently ride two horses completely at the opposite end,far as size, and both do the job for me
Charlie is 16.2HH, so a bit tall for a western pl horse, but Iove her movement, which is not just due to size , but her breeding. Her half brother Einstein, a horse I did everything with, a was 16.3hh.People used to ask me, in my days before knee replacements, as to why I rode such a tall horse.My answer was always that he stood by anything, for me to get on, and once on, I had a safe 'Cadillac ride
The horse I currently trail ride the most, is only about 14.2hh Carmen can really walk out for her size, out walking much taller horses, and is a very sensible trail horse
In the end, I think mind, ability and disposition are the most important aspects, unless you are very seriously involved in any particular discipline, where other factors are given some prominence

Carmen, yesterday

[/URL

Last fall

[URL=http://s335.photobucket.com/user/KiloBright/media/trail%20riding/Carmenbartonroad_zpsf0e76b3a.jpg.html]

Charlie, 16.2,hh,, helps keep feet dry!

I am 5ft 7". Won't elaborate on current weight!
See less See more
Reactions: 1
Yes, they look the same color, although Carmen is a roan and Charlie is grey, at max expression!

Charlie doing one of her more /usual jobs

See less See more
For me, trail riding, size does not matter. While I ride with complete comfort after double knee replacements, there is no spring, so I use some ground advantage, ditch , log, whatever, to get on, even with Carmen. She also has about zero withers, so mounting her from the ground is something I do only if there is no other option
What counts for me, far as atrail horse, is that the horse stands wherever I put the horse to get on, is sensible on the trail, walks out without needing to be pedelled, and on a loose rein, at the gait I ask for, coming or going
I expect to be able to put on a slicker, without getting off, to be able to get stuff out of my saddle bag, including things wrapped in plastic, a horse that stands, with my reins drapped over their neck, allowing me two free hands to take pictures
Along time ago, and horses of various size. What counted, was that they were safe to put my young kids on

See less See more
1 - 4 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.