Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Is it OK to listen to your iPod when you horse ride as long as if you have your ear buds in? Or is it dangerous?

Thanks, Gillian.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
i dont like riding with ear buds in because you cant hear as well whats going on around you. i would rather just have a radio on in the arena

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I agree with gypsy. If you are gonna be riding on a trail, that's especially true. Things jump out on trails and surprise and spook horses all the time. I find it easier to keep a horse between you and the ground if you have a heads up :lol:

·
Registered
470 Posts
Agreed, try to have a radio or something.
So you can still listen to music but aren't "deaf" for the environment around you.

Rather safe than sorry is what I always say ;-)

·
Registered
64 Posts
I remember, I once tried, but it wasn't that good.
I have to concentrate on my horse when I'm riding. And that's difficult while listening to music!

And when your horse (sorry, don't know the word, so I'll try an explanation) fears something, for example a noise, you can't hear it when you listen to music.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I personally don't and won't. Like other have already said, you need to be alert when riding. I have nothing against using a stereo/radio as long as it isn't so loud that it blocks out all other noises. My BO rides with her iPod and a small speaker and clips it onto her saddle. That's a good idea, especially if you don't ride in an arena.

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
To be the odd one out, I ride with my earbuds in all the time. And I mean ALL the time. I, personally, become more in tune with my horse when I don't hear all the other noise, like the cars, and my other horses rattling the chain on the gate, and this baby squirrel that lives in a nearby tree that sits and chirps non-stop. o_O I can concentrate on the music, and encourage my horse to move to the beat of the music. It's actually very beneficial for us.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I think it's pretty dangerous. It's good to be able to concentrate on what you're doing and not totally focus on what's going on around you, but at the same time you should be at least somewhat aware for safety reasons. You want to be reachable as soon as possible if someone needs to contact you for an emergency or something. You want to hear things coming that could potentially spook your horse, and if your horse spooks at a noise you want to know that he didn't just spook for no reason and what exactly it was that spooked him so that you can be aware of what sorts of sounds scare him and potentially work on them with him. You should be aware of your surroundings with as many of your senses as possible because you know that your horse is. Your horse knows how to focus on the task at hand while staying very aware of everything around him. In order to work well with him, you should have the same ability to some extent.
So as nice as it sounds to be able to tune things out to concentrate, it's just not the safe choice. Having a radio or speakers you can hook up an ipod to set up in your barn/arena/etc is a much safer option if you want to listen to music while riding. I can also imagine that it would work out fine to carry a small portable music player with speakers built in and carry it on your person or attatched to your saddle.
That way you can focus on the music when you want, but be capable of hearing potentially dangerous things happening around you.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To be the odd one out, I ride with my earbuds in all the time. And I mean ALL the time. I, personally, become more in tune with my horse when I don't hear all the other noise, like the cars, and my other horses rattling the chain on the gate, and this baby squirrel that lives in a nearby tree that sits and chirps non-stop. o_O I can concentrate on the music, and encourage my horse to move to the beat of the music. It's actually very beneficial for us.
That's what i was thinking. o_O Haha, but in a way it is dangerous like the other posters. :)

·
Registered
879 Posts
When I rode out I rode with one earphone in so I could still hear what was going on in my surrounding enviroment plus I could torture the poor pony while I sang along. He really didn't like Lady Gaga's PokerFace, don't why but if I started singing it his ears went back, lol.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Earbuds can be hazardous. Not only can they block out noise (well, certainly not the ipod ones but anyways), but the string can get tangled. I know a rider who just puts the volume on full on her phone/ipod/mysterious piece of technology and it gives her about an 8 foot bubble of music, like a quiet portable speaker which she riders with. Some people do ride better with music and I think this is a safer alternative than ear buds. I am personally old fashioned, I only will use a stereo in the arena/barn or no music at all.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I only will use a stereo in the arena/barn or no music at all.[/QUOTE] What happens if you want to go on a trail? Is it OK to ride with 1 ear bud? I know its still pretty dangerous though...

·
Registered
879 Posts
I've done it but I don't use the earphones that go into the ear canal I use the ones that just cover the entrance because I've found I can hear better, I only ride in one and I don't have it turned up loud so I can still hear and I'm vigilant when wearing earphones.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Lis- Haha I'm with the pony about Poker Face, I can't stand that song D;

HorsePride- For the trail again there are the ideas of bringing small portable speakers to carry on your person or in a saddlebag, or even like roro said using the headphones on full volume similarly but not wearing them (though I would think that would blow them out!)

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lis- Haha I'm with the pony about Poker Face, I can't stand that song D;

HorsePride- For the trail again there are the ideas of bringing small portable speakers to carry on your person or in a saddlebag, or even like roro said using the headphones on full volume similarly but not wearing them (though I would think that would blow them out!)
Thanks! :)

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
When I bring my iPod on the trail with me, I put just one earbud in my ear. I put my iPod in my front pocket and I run the cord down through my shirt. That way I can still hear everything around me and the cord can't get tangled.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When I bring my iPod on the trail with me, I put just one earbud in my ear. I put my iPod in my front pocket and I run the cord down through my shirt. That way I can still hear everything around me and the cord can't get tangled.
Thats a great idea! Thanks! :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.