The Horse Forum banner

201 - 220 of 288 Posts

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·
I heard a crazy horse story from the barn owner today. I told her about my mistake with Hero. She was mentioning other scenarios, and also was saying how once some kids had left open a pasture gate. I said I wasn't too worried since we were quite far from any busy roads. Then she told me this story.

Apparently they once had a boarder with a nice, gentle horse. The owner decided one day to work on desensitizing to plastic bags. For some unknown reason, she tied a plastic bag into the horse's mane. Then the wind blew...

After the horse ran through his own fence, he ran about a mile straight through the neighborhoods surrounding the barn, up a steep hill, and then jumped over the barrier fence that led to the highway. After that he turned and ran straight down the highway. It happened that two semi trucks were going along, and saw the horse. There was a narrow turn off, and one trucker went ahead and turned his truck to block the road while the other came behind the horse and cut off his escape route. Another man driving a car stopped and jumped out, caught the horse and took the plastic bag off the horse, at which point he immediately calmed down. Poor horse. He was going to run across the state, with the devil chasing him just above his neck.

Pretty amazing he didn't get killed.

·
Registered
8,260 Posts
OMG, @gottatrot, how can our species be called Ho'mo sapiens? Tying a plastic bag to the mane of a horse not desensitised to plastic bags...

Brett says that this was not a very successful desensitisation!

And yeah, amazing story that the horse survived. I suppose three people in that scenario were actually acting like Ho'mo sapiens that day...

How's your bruise doing?

PS: I can't believe I had to put an apostrophe in our genus name. These screening tools, like the Microsoft spelling dictionary and thesaurus, are robbing us of our genuine language. Just because some people with IQs below room temperature use that word as a slur... we're deprived of its genuine use???

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
Home Oh Sapiens? Home Oh Ridiculus is about as kind as I can get nowadays. Maybe Vainicus. Maybe substitute Hubris for Home Oh. Hubris Vainicus seems fitting. And the software won't try to screen it out. We think we're the cat's meow (or the bees' knees) but I just don't see it. Not in me and not in others.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
That story is really incredible, Jesus. I hope the horse came out of it okay! I mean we **** sapiens do some stupid sh-- all of us. I mean tying a plastic bag to a horse that hasn't been properly desensitized isn't real bright but I hope otherwise they are loving and compassionate owners and the horse otherwise has a good life. Despite an unfortunate event.

As for humans in general, the general lack of compassion is what saddens me about humans. The lack of authenticity or genuine compassion. There are a lot of really great people in the world and many insufferable ones too that just make life difficult.

·
Registered
8,260 Posts
Home Oh Sapiens? Home Oh Ridiculus is about as kind as I can get nowadays. Maybe Vainicus. Maybe substitute Hubris for Home Oh. Hubris Vainicus seems fitting. And the software won't try to screen it out. We think we're the cat's meow (or the bees' knees) but I just don't see it. Not in me and not in others.
I'll add Hubris vainicus to my substitution list for Ho'mo allegedly sapiens, thank you! And Ho'mo ridiculus! 😎
Other possibilities I'm playing with:
Ho'mo excrementum (or Ho'mo stercus, look it up)
Ho'mo insufferabilicus
Ho'mo vacuosa
Ho'mo odiferus

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #213 ·
Sorry, no pics yet, will get some today. We didn't have any casual time...left at 8 a.m. and got home at 11 p.m.

A big factor was that we were also helping Estelle's owner bring a huge old RV that had just been fixed near where we picked up the horse, all the way back to park here in the town where we live. DH drove it for her, but the part of the freeway we were on had very steep hills and the RV topped out at 30 mph on some portions. We also had to coordinate leaving the RV in a couple of different parking lots so we could go to the farm where Estelle was, and then to drop her off at my barn.

I was thinking we could have won some kind of contest. Long story short, in about 2 1/2 hrs we put an unhandled horse into a horse trailer, without the benefit of chutes or a safe setup.

We showed up and found an unhandled mare, and I mean as completely unhandled as a wild mustang. The old owner did not show up at all, but Estelle was already paid for. The little mare, who is probably only 14 hands, was even skinnier, and in a pen with no food at all and very little water.

The good news was that she would eat pellets out of our hands. However, that did not mean you could get close to her or touch her at all. It wasn't a case of a horse that had learned to not get caught, it was a case of a horse completely unhandled. My guess is she was put into a stock trailer via some kind of chute, and released into the corral.

Unfortunately, we did not have a chute, and I spent the first half hour trying to see if she'd trust me enough to get a rope around her neck. She was in a large corral, so when it was obvious she would not allow us to catch her, we backed the trailer up to the gate and attempted to drive her into it. We probably spent the next hour and a half seeing if we could either drive her into the trailer, lasso her (we did not have any kind of stiff rope), or guide her in with long ropes making a chute. She did not think of the ropes as barriers, and just pushed right through them and ran away. There was a lot of space, so she could always get away.

Leaving her was not an option. She has some kind of skin condition going on, matted mane, hooves that have obviously only worn down naturally with no trimming, and hips, ribs and spine showing.

DH was a saint. It was a very hot day and we kept asking him to try standing here or there, or hold the end of a rope, or block a door. We kept trying to not overwork the horse, to get her to drink, and calm down frequently. She did get sweaty but her eyes never rolled, and she has just a dolly temperament. She knocked into people a couple times but never threatened us in any way, even when scared and with pressure put on.

We finally tried something that was rather scary, and took apart some corral panels and moved them closer to the trailer, so the pen was much smaller. This was very risky because as we moved them there was a chance of her escaping, which we tried to minimize by keeping her away.

At that point, we were able to reach the ropes across the pen, and we realized we could throw the rope back across to each other so both ends were around her neck. These I quickly threw a slip knot on, and then we had her on a loop so I got in and she allowed me closer with a lot of hay pellets and nowhere to run. Once she allowed me to touch her and flinched a few times, she realized she wasn't going to die from being touched, and it wasn't long before I was able to sneak a halter onto her.

On a lead, I gave her a quick lesson in pressure and release. She made it several steps, and had treats. She had never had a carrot, so didn't know what to do with those. Unfortunately, the gate of the corral had a pipe across the bottom, and she did not realize it was possible to cross this. Eventually I looped a long rope through one of the tie loops inside the trailer, so I could hold the end taut, attached to her halter. Then her new owner and DH put pressure from behind but she would not step over the pipe. Finally with a lot of pressure, she took a flying, rearing leap and I pulled her across.

Then she was stuck in an impossible space, standing between the pipe and the trailer step in front of her. I had taken out the slack again, so we tried the same strategy for a while, and soon she took another flying, rearing leap and landed in the trailer. I held her steady and yelled, "Shut the gate!" a few times. Her new owner was frozen, thinking I had been squashed. My DH was frozen with happiness she was in the trailer. I envisioned Estelle rushing back out, so risked scooting forward and pulling the slant load divider off the wall with a bang, and shoved her back, while DH finally mobilized and jumped up to help me close it.

She was so short, I realized she could easily duck under the divider, so I threw the ropes down and jumped to get the outer door closed. Once she was secured, I put her lead on a tie blocker ring and took off the long rope.

Estelle rode fine, although it was freeway, mountains and twisting roads for 4 hrs. I'm sure she was absolutely terrified, stuck in a box with no experience.
At the barn, it was again risky because we couldn't get the trailer all the way to her gate, so there was an open space between. I attached a very long rope to her halter and tried not to let her notice the escape route, especially since now it was 10 pm and pitch dark. Not a good time to lose an unhandled horse.

She came out fine, but froze once she got off the step, and I turned her toward the gate, ran in and pulled her forward while DH scared her with a light. She ran in, he closed the gate, and she let me get close enough to unhalter her.
It could have gone wrong in a hundred ways. But it didn't and now she is safe and in a place with lots of food, buddies nearby and a better life ahead.

·
Registered
8,260 Posts
It's the middle of the night here but I happen to be up and read this - well done! 😎 Didn't envy you the task and glad nobody got hurt - this stuff is always risky, and stressful because we know it. What a long, long day. Hope you get a good rest and glad the horse's life is looking up.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
I can’t wait to see pictures of the poor girl! The rope is exactly what I would have done too. Good job, and she sounds like she wants to be kind, so that is a great thing too!

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #218 ·

Here is a photo of Estelle's bony hips and hindquarters.
You can see in this video how thin she is:

Today I brought Amore down to spend some time with Estelle, and it was a non-event with Amore attempting to sniff Estelle while she moved away, and then Amore settling down to eat the hay on the ground. She didn't mind sharing with Estelle. Hero sniffed noses with her too, but I didn't put him in with her just in case.

While I fed Estelle hay pellets, she let me scratch her neck and touch her side and even hindquarters. I showed her a rope and touched her with it, but then just dangled it over my neck while feeding her since she was pretty nervous about it.

There was something strange though. I don't know what I was thinking yesterday. I guess the new owner told me that the horse was about 14 hands, and with her thinness it was an optical illusion, plus she was a real moving target. Today I immediately realized she was not even thirteen hands, and when I brought Amore down she looked large next to Estelle, and I'd say she is more like 12 hands. So this is not going to be a horse this gal is riding...I'm really not sure what she was thinking. Her new owner is probably thirty pounds heavier than I am, and I'm way too big to ride this pony. Possibly she might make a fancy little driving pony.

The plot thickens, however. Let's just say I'm happy to help the pony, but it might not work out so well with the owner. There was an element of having us do all the work, and she didn't even help unload the pony. I chalked it up to her being tired, but then today I was the one who cleaned out the horse trailer, and what ticked me off was that she didn't show up at all to check on her pony. She knew I was going to be at the barn, but she didn't contact me at all to ask if I would feed or check on Estelle. Which of course I did make sure her horse was fed, but she should be super excited to have a new pony, she should be worried about how the horse was doing after the long trip, and it is just a very bad sign to me about our ability to get along.

My thought is to work hard on gentling and getting this pony able to lead and be handled, so she has a chance to have a better home if things don't work out with her new owner.

After such a long day yesterday, I just exercised Hero loose in the arena. He's been on the 4Cyte a while now. It has been helping him feel really good, and he is moving very well. The only problem is he is feeling super. And he's been rather hot. So I've been having to really manage his energy, but as usual I feel great about getting him to this point.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Today I brought Amore down to spend some time with Estelle, and it was a non-event with Amore attempting to sniff Estelle while she moved away, and then Amore settling down to eat the hay on the ground. She didn't mind sharing with Estelle. Hero sniffed noses with her too, but I didn't put him in with her just in case.

While I fed Estelle hay pellets, she let me scratch her neck and touch her side and even hindquarters. I showed her a rope and touched her with it, but then just dangled it over my neck while feeding her since she was pretty nervous about it.

There was something strange though. I don't know what I was thinking yesterday. I guess the new owner told me that the horse was about 14 hands, and with her thinness it was an optical illusion, plus she was a real moving target. Today I immediately realized she was not even thirteen hands, and when I brought Amore down she looked large next to Estelle, and I'd say she is more like 12 hands. So this is not going to be a horse this gal is riding...I'm really not sure what she was thinking. Her new owner is probably thirty pounds heavier than I am, and I'm way too big to ride this pony. Possibly she might make a fancy little driving pony.

The plot thickens, however. Let's just say I'm happy to help the pony, but it might not work out so well with the owner. There was an element of having us do all the work, and she didn't even help unload the pony. I chalked it up to her being tired, but then today I was the one who cleaned out the horse trailer, and what ticked me off was that she didn't show up at all to check on her pony. She knew I was going to be at the barn, but she didn't contact me at all to ask if I would feed or check on Estelle. Which of course I did make sure her horse was fed, but she should be super excited to have a new pony, she should be worried about how the horse was doing after the long trip, and it is just a very bad sign to me about our ability to get along.

My thought is to work hard on gentling and getting this pony able to lead and be handled, so she has a chance to have a better home if things don't work out with her new owner.
It sounds like you went through quite the adventure to bring this pony home, I hope the work will be rewarding and you will gain from it what you hope to. I'm sorry they lied about the height as well. I mean sure plans change but maybe the new owner will need to sell her after she turns around and get something her size, unless she wants to drive. I know she'll recover and flourish under you. I hope she doesnt have too much mental baggage and is just a very green, inexperienced pony that will happily take once she gets going.

I'm really sorry about the owner. That has been my experience with people too. They seem so genuine, so kind and caring and then they show their true colours. It is really disheartening. It hurts the same every time. I'm sorry :( every time I think someone is legit and genuine, they prove to me why I need to stop moving mountains for people. The people you help the most are often the people who stab you in the back the hardest. I really hope this will not be the case. I really hope something came up and they had to attend to that or something. I hope they'll at least say thank you and express some gratitude!

I think it hurts so badly because we desperately want to believe people have the same heart we do and it hurts something fierce when we get tricked and fall for the deception. I think we fall for it because we want to believe in humanity and believe others have the same heart we have. The good thing is this horse will benefit so much from your kindness. The animals deserve the compassion and effort, I think at the end of the day animals make up for humanity and give us hope.

201 - 220 of 288 Posts