The Horse Forum banner
461 - 480 of 500 Posts

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
What is 'too warm' to a person is all relative. Humidity on the left coast is generally much lower than other places, but that just means you aren't use to it at all. I can remember thinking I might die after being in oregon for over a year, then coming back here to visit family in july - and they thought the weather was lovely!

I am at the Jersey shore, where it's currently 84 but with 79% humidity.. I am sweating just sitting on the porch (in the shade) typing this. At home, it's a real feel of 102. The ride we were originally supposed to be at in Maine is 106. I suspect @bsms laughs at those temps (though 'it's a dry heat' .. but so is an oven!").

A good day for inside in the AC things or swimming. @gottatrot you are very dedicated to be jogging!

·
Registered
177 Posts
What is 'too warm' to a person is all relative. Humidity on the left coast is generally much lower than other places, but that just means you aren't use to it at all. I can remember thinking I might die after being in oregon for over a year, then coming back here to visit family in july - and they thought the weather was lovely!

I am at the Jersey shore, where it's currently 84 but with 79% humidity.. I am sweating just sitting on the porch (in the shade) typing this. At home, it's a real feel of 102. The ride we were originally supposed to be at in Maine is 106. I suspect @bsms laughs at those temps (though 'it's a dry heat' .. but so is an oven!").

A good day for inside in the AC things or swimming. @gottatrot you are very dedicated to be jogging!
All too true. When I was traveling with a rodeo drill team and performed throughout the Texas summer rodeo season, we would hear “you shouldn’t ride at (certain temps)”. We would just shake our head and say well we’d never get to ride if we stuck with that! I also rode Mounted Patrol in the heat of the Texas summers. People where we rode MP would say, “Oh, those poor horses to be out in this heat”. I always wanted to say, “This horse lives outside. What about us poor humans???” LOL! Anyway, what the horse is used to and conditioned to has a great deal to do with it as well, in addition to what the horse is being asked to do. A big part of my “Oh, it’s too hot to ride” is that it’s too hot for ME

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #464 ·
I know I shouldn't complain! Wow, you all have it so hot. I looked up the temperature, humidity and real feel today. It says 71 degrees, humidity 78%, real feel 78 degrees. Still feels hot to me! August is our hottest month.
Maybe I can complain a little because having air conditioning indoors is a very rare thing here. So it's always at least as hot inside as it is outside. We use fans.
I don't think the cats believe it is ever hot enough. They're always looking for sun patches in the house.

I guess our horses live a rather comfortable life though too. I pick up manure off the field, and so far this year I have scarcely seen a fly. I put on fly spray just in case, and sometimes I put the fly masks on because they look cute. The horses don't really show signs that they've sweated when I'm not there.

Whenever I might feel like being lazy about running, I talk to my sister. She's getting ready for the Hood to Coast in several weeks. It's a team relay that runs from Mount Hood near Portland down to the coast. Each runner does several legs, and she has to run a total of 18 miles. So after she told me about her training I got on the treadmill. 😊

·
Registered
6,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #466 ·
Thanks, @Phantom Horse!
Aria's boots just arrived! I can't wait to try them on her tomorrow. They're cute and small compared to Hero's clunkers. I suspect I'll have to buy a size down for her hind hooves, but I wanted to try the fronts first.
It's always funny putting boots on a horse for the first time. But the hinds are usually more dramatic.

Dogs also think boots are weird.
That reminded me of a funny video I saw of a cat that does an extended trot like a dressage horse.

·
Premium Member
13,275 Posts
I wouldn't want to be the rider who taught the cat dressage....wonder what bit they used.

July was the wettest on record for Tucson and August is continuing almost as wet. We're between two mountain ranges, the Rincons to the NE and the Santa Rita's to the SW. Both about 9,000' high compared to ourselves at 3600' MSL. We always get more rain than Tucson because it tends to roll off the mountains and we're there waiting...

I rode Bandit briefly yesterday. Clouds were building up and I expected rain so we did a fast 20 minutes. Of course, once I dismounted and put things away....the clouds thinned. But 80 degrees and 80% humidity is tougher than 95 degrees and our normal 15% humidity. Also, I want to spray for weeds but iin my experience it needs 16-24 hours without rain for it to take effect - not the 6 hours the box says - and we aren't getting those gaps. We've moved from "Extreme Drought" to "Severe Drought" and might hit mere "Drought" if this keeps up for another month. But I wish some of it would get further north. It moves north from the Pacific but I don't think it is getting past mid-Arizona. I keep looking for my friend's ranch in central Utah and it seems to be petering out before it gets there.

@gottatrot has mentioned before what a place is used to. We used to joke in England about how in Arizona, the roads are designed to shed water even though Arizona is a desert, while in England the roads seem shaped to RETAIN water even though rain is omnipresent! But in reality, folks outside and horses can handle a given climate just fine if the climate is acting "normal". It is just...well, right now I'd LOVE 4-5 days of normal intense sunshine and no water! THEN I'd be glad to see some more rain!

And I'm posting because it seems like a lot of HF friends are just having weird weather. Hot or dry or wet or fires (!!!) or just stuff that isn't NORMAL. The rain we've had the last 6 weeks would be trivial in Oregon but we aren't used to it here. Although...my wife's roses are loving it! Got a hunch she may shed some tears when the rains slow but the rose blooms have been spectacular this summer.

BTW - I used some of the horse's fly spray yesterday on me. Doubt it is approved for humans but the flies and GNATS - gnats are right up their with pack rats on my hate list - had decided that if Bandit was protected and I was not, well, then I was a good secondary target. So I used what was on hand. BTW - Bandit loved the grass but he behaved well on our paved road segment. Wish I had gone farther from home but I didn't want to be a mile from home and hit with a thunderstorm. But like I said, once Bandit was back in the corral and the gear all put away..... :cautious:...but if I'd kept us going, I know we'd have been hammered!

·
Registered
6,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #468 ·
I wouldn't want to be the rider who taught the cat dressage....wonder what bit they used.
Hilarious!!

It's definitely about what you're used to. I love this scene from the show Portlandia where they are chasing sunbeams.

Also I've found that weather can be amazingly different in different places. We consider ourselves rain experts and I don't believe I have ever stopped driving due to rain in the pac NW, even when tourists are acting nervous. But in Texas it rained and it was like our car was under a waterfall. No visibility at all and everyone pulled over. Scary.

Sometimes I think our area is for wimps. We don't have much heat and no snow or ice to speak of. The snakes are non venomous. The little black bears run away, we have coyotes instead of wolves. The flies are small and don't bite, mosquitoes are rare. DH was stung by a bee the other day, but it was a fake bee and the sting never hurt or got red.

But many people like sunshine, warmth and even snow I guess. I think the bad and scary creatures must too. 😁

We were on the beach the other day and thought it was fine. In august, our hottest month it was about 60 degrees on the beach with a fairly blasting wind. The tourists had coats on and looked unhappy. I've heard people ask about when the sun will shine, but we have at least minor cloud cover 98% of the year. Many people like myself don't ever wear sunglasses.

I think many people have a climate they prefer and feel most comfortable in. But I really love visiting other climates and can tolerate them quite well in the short term. The heat in the outback in Western Australia is simply unbelievable. We've hiked in Florida in July, and Arizona in summer, Death Valley even. Also experienced Minnesota in winter, Iceland and the northern part of the East coast up to Nova Scotia in October was quite chilly too.

I think it's enjoyable experiencing the weather and climate in many places. But where you want to live is another story. If I have to scrape ice off my car windows, it makes me feel very put out. And if you have to turn a fan on to get cool, to us that feels like a bad day. 😁😁

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Firstly I am terribly jealous of your run. The walking boot I have to wear now is discouraging. I think I may have to pull out of my race in October, but I don’t want to jump the gun. My hopes keep dwindling. The foot still hurts and it feels weak outside of the boot. I find it super odd to still feel pain in it, but I did get the boot crashed into a couple times.

It’s been crazy hot here. I wanted to ride last night, but I hid inside from the heat. It is normally hot in August, so it’s not particularly surprising like it was hitting 100s in June.

I think living here is for hard people. Lol. I always think of that song “paved paradise” when I think about how people complain about agriculture here. It is cold in the winter. It’s not uncommon for it to be -20, and I’ve worked once when it hit -30, and in the summer it gets to be low 100s, not all summer but a little. There is ice in the winter and dust in the summer. Usually someone is sick too, and that blows my mind when we have rarely traveled into touristy big places and it seems everyone is healthy!

The horses seem built for this environment though. They would probably complain in your humid places. The horses that move here seem miserable for a bit and then fit right in.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
I suspect that cat has cerebellar hypoplasia, so actually learned all of that bitless. 🙃

And I'm posting because it seems like a lot of HF friends are just having weird weather. Hot or dry or wet or fires (!!!) or just stuff that isn't NORMAL.
Our weather has certainly been interesting this year (interesting like the Chinese curse). We joke we have an invisible dome over our place at home, as you can watch the storms and rain approach, then deflect north or south (and sometimes both). The towns around us are having above average rainfall while we are in moderate drought. Really awful to watch Keith's crops withering. And as if that wasnt enough, it was the hottest June on record, July tied the record, and August is looking to follow the pattern. Because of the crazy heat, I have found myself following @knightrider 's example and riding a bit first thing in the morning before its too hot, then hiding inside. I try not to whine (esp since we are not on fire!), but it seems unfair that we are having a summer similar to the South, yet we have winter with ice and snow while they get prime riding conditions!

But many people like sunshine, warmth and even snow I guess.
🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
6,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #471 · (Edited)
@Knave, being injured is the pits!

Today was my birthday (44), and I went to try Aria's new Renegades on her. The base fits perfectly, I just need to adjust the cables so they tighten a little more.

I was very careful when I put the boots on. She was like, "Guess my hooves have boots now." Didn't concern her much. At first she seemed to think they were ice skates, and swooshed her feet along in the dry gravel instead of stepping forward. That was kind of funny, not a reaction I'd seen.

People on the forum have told me I'm wrong about Arabs, and even though most I've met are super spooky and reactive, my experience does not reflect on the majority of Arabs. I'm more inclined to believe it, getting to know Aria. I don't mean to say "good," about her temperament implies those reactive types are "bad." But she is nice to work with.

Horse temperaments are different in such complex ways. Hero is more stable in many ways than Amore was. For example, if I tie him I don't expect him to react to anything he understands, and he has been exposed to a lot. If he gets a rope over his neck, or a big truck pulls up, or something falls with a crash nearby, he'll just stand calmly. But if something does make Hero worried or upset, he's a big reactor, and it's going to be a dramatic and exaggerated response.

Walking the horses down to new places Aria had never been, in her new gravel crunching boots, she did not react in any dramatic way. When we saw new things, her eyes got bigger and her nostrils went snork, snork, but she kept walking calmly.

She is much better to walk with Hero than Amore was. Hero and Amore would ask each other, "What is it, is it OK?" The question would ping pong back and forth between them as they hopped around. Hero says to Aria, "Is it OK?" and Aria says, "No worries, mate." Some horses galloped around in the fields and normally that excites Hero, but Aria was nonchalant so he was too.

The horses did spook one time. My boot slipped out on some dusty gravel and I fell down. The horses thought I spooked, and since they know it takes a lot to spook me, they got momentarily freaked out. Hero was heading toward the horses across the road, Aria though it best to shoot home backwards. But as soon as they realized I just fell, they calmed down.

Neither horse is embarrassed about spooking. Halla used to hate admitting she had spooked, and would act super tough afterward. She'd startle, and then be like, "You want me to go run up that hill where I can't see the top? Cause I'll do it. I'll take all these wimpy, scaredy cat horses right up there. Want me to jump over that ditch? Cause I will, just watch me."

I trotted Aria on the lead for the first time. When we passed a bunch of cows in a field on the way home, Hero stopped to stare but Aria wanted to keep going to get home and eat hay, so he followed her.

She is a little Napoleon. Sometimes Hero pushes her off the hay, and he is big and powerful. But today she went past him into the shelter where he could easily trap her, and she parked at the biggest hay pile and started eating it. He just let her.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Happy birthday!!!!!!!!

The Arabians I have been around are more like your new mare. They were smart and thoughtful. I can’t remember any I particularly considered hot by any means. There was a paint cross that I didn’t like, but I wouldn’t say he was hot. He was rude. He’d buck and he’d strike and spook, and I disliked riding him. He was in my string. I never remember another person touching him to be honest. Boy I dreaded catching that jerk.

·
Registered
6,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #474 ·
After adjusting the cables, the Renegades fit Aria great.

Hero has been taking advantage of the fact that their hay nets are close together and hogging both of them, the barn owner says. She never calls Hero by his newer name, but says "That Rascal." That rascal did this, and that rascal did that. She always has a story for me.

So I took down the corral that had been put up to teach Aria to get caught. It made the two shelters separated enough that Aria did not want to walk clear around to go in the other side to eat hay. Now she can just peek around the corner to see Hero is on the other side, so that way they can each be fed in their own shelter, and Hero will have a hard time taking all the hay in both areas.

I feel like her belly and back muscles are tightening up a bit already, with the little exercise I've done so far. I would like to have more time, but this month has been crazy. We are trying to simultaneously buy a house (closes the 31st), sell a house, and move. Next month will hopefully be better for training.

She looks funny stretching for the clover. Now that there's no middle sized horse, their height differences are quite noticeable. 13 hands vs 15.3 hands.

My friend with Mikey and Maybelle has moved her horses across the road to my barn. The fields where she was keeping her horses are full of tansy, and not much grass. I think Maybelle has great dun markings. I like the stripes on her legs.

·
Registered
8,115 Posts
Buying and selling houses is definitely stressful, and it sounds like that is all compounded right now given how hot the market is. I hope both transactions go smoothly and you can finally feel settled!

Loving all the pics and updates as usual!

·
Registered
6,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #477 ·
Today I put the surcingle on Aria. She tolerated having it rubbed all over, so I held the cinch around her and squeezed it tight under her belly. She gave a big hop. I gave her a cookie. Then I buckled the cinch on, and she ran forward a step and I gave her more cookies. She decided she could wear a belt as long as I gave her cookies.

I lunged her with the surcingle on and took it off and put it back on. No problem. She's already starting to make pretty good circles, and today she was beginning to respond to "walk," "trot," and "whoa."

Hero did his five minute warm up and then I walked them on the scary woods trail where Aria had never been.

Hero: This looks scary.
Aria: Come on!
Hero: OK...looks scary...
Aria: Why would I be scared? You're as big as a house! Also we have the cookie lady. She has scars all over, I don't think anyone would mess with her.
Hero: I'll stand here in the woods and look around for danger.
Aria: Green, green grass!
Hero: Let's make our way home carefully.
Aria: We are having an adventure!

·
Registered
6,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #479 ·
My good friend has a pony almost the size of Aria, and she also is training him to drive. She messaged me about the harness she bought and really likes, and then did a 13 minute detailed video review of it for me with her pony. She included explaining all the features she liked, and also showed me how it fit her pony and should adjust to fit Aria also. So I ordered one tonight. I told her the company should pay her. She's had two other people admire the harness and both of them bought one also.
It looks like this:

The one above has a gray saddle and breastcollar lining, but I ordered maroon to match Aria's Renegades.

This is what the bridle looks like up close, but I ordered one without the silver dots since my friend's doesn't have them and it looks classy.

She's been using the new Easyboot Sneakers on her pony. I hope once we get the ponies trained we can go driving together. Here is Milo modeling his harness for the video. She hasn't bridled him yet, so she didn't put that part on him.

Today I took Hero and Aria for a walk, and we went over a scary bridge. I put Amore's blanket on Aria for practice, and she seemed used to it after about twenty seconds. I also put her surcingle on again, and worked on bridling with a rope.

I saw the cutest beaver, he had a very whiskery face like this guy:

The horse fields had flooded recently, and it was due to a beaver dam that had created a blockage that even made the golf course soggy a mile away. So they sent a backhoe to clear it out last week. Mr. Beaver was hard at work today, putting everything back again. :)

DH also caught this guy walking by our house a couple days ago on the wildlife cam:

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
It sounds like she is coming along perfectly! I’m happy for you that she is such a nice pony.

The harness Zeus uses is one my mom had. I was harnessing Cashman, but it was with the old work horse harnesses from the ranch. You know, the best collar was getting too small for him. I decided to give it up because of that and because I wasn’t working on him enough. We’ll just have to keep driving Zeus.

461 - 480 of 500 Posts