The Horse Forum banner
481 - 500 of 500 Posts

·
Registered
6,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #481 ·
The horses have been getting minimal attention for the past few days because I was following a stretch of work days with several days moving into our new house.

The timing was a bit unfortunate, because I had to get my second covid shot just before moving. Thankfully, I didn't have any fever but my lymph node under one armpit swelled up to the size of a tangerine, and then I had about 8 hrs of severe body aches.

After stretching out on a hard floor, I was able to lift heavy things OK, and finally it occurred to me to take a Tylenol, which helped. The good news was that after all the hours of moving stuff, my lymph node cleared right up. Probably all the muscle contraction helped.

In case you wonder, I was waiting for guidance on which brand of vaccine was best for autoimmune disorders. Rheumatoid arthritis, polymyalgia and sjogren's have severely affected my mom and her mom, and I suspect I carry the same genes waiting to be triggered. The autoimmune experts were a long time in coming out with recommendations. The word was "not studied."

My work now requires the vaccine, so I made the best choice I could. Supposedly autoimmune disorders are not being triggered or flares caused by the vaccine. It is difficult to track, however, and there was one case of RA that I know of that seemed to have a bad flare up after the vaccine. It was a lower risk to be vaccinated, but it is good information to know which are more likely to cause problems. My mom and I went with Pfizer. She's in a flare up (swollen knees and shoulder joints), but it hasn't worsened.

The rental house we were in was way too small for us, and my tack was mostly in boxes in a closet, or in the garage. I am looking forward to setting up a real tack room again. In case you didn't know, spare bedrooms are for tack and other hobby supplies, such as musical instruments, books, or crafts. Not for guests, they can get a hotel, lol.

The cats love the chaos of boxes piled everywhere.

·
Premium Member
13,275 Posts
My oldest daughter was required to take the vaccine for work. The first shot didn't bother her. The second one knocked her down for two days and she said she felt like she had golf balls in one arm pit. My son had what felt like bad flu after the second shot. I had no problems at all. My wife took the J&J one shot vaccine yesterday. So far no swelling but she seems pretty lethargic. Although that could be from pulling a LOT of weeds yesterday before getting the shot. When I was in the military, in a flying squadron, they always gave us the flu shot before a 3 day weekend. That way we could start feeling better in time for work....

A combination of an anthrax shot and a yellow fever booster shot in one arm on the same day resulted in what felt like a pencil in my triceps for a couple of months. Anthrax is a series of 5 shots. In its infinite wisdom, the military had started me, then changed their minds after 3 shots. A year later, they decided I needed the anthrax shots again....but they started me back at the beginning. So I eventually had EIGHT anthrax shots and it was number 8, combined with the yellow fever booster (which is no longer recommended 🤬 ) that zapped me.

·
Registered
6,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #483 ·
My oldest daughter was required to take the vaccine for work. The first shot didn't bother her. The second one knocked her down for two days and she said she felt like she had golf balls in one arm pit. My son had what felt like bad flu after the second shot. I had no problems at all. My wife took the J&J one shot vaccine yesterday. So far no swelling but she seems pretty lethargic. Although that could be from pulling a LOT of weeds yesterday before getting the shot. When I was in the military, in a flying squadron, they always gave us the flu shot before a 3 day weekend. That way we could start feeling better in time for work....

A combination of an anthrax shot and a yellow fever booster shot in one arm on the same day resulted in what felt like a pencil in my triceps for a couple of months. Anthrax is a series of 5 shots. In its infinite wisdom, the military had started me, then changed their minds after 3 shots. A year later, they decided I needed the anthrax shots again....but they started me back at the beginning. So I eventually had EIGHT anthrax shots and it was number 8, combined with the yellow fever booster (which is no longer recommended 🤬 ) that zapped me.
Maybe you didn't react to the vaccine because you've had so many! Your body might just think, "Oh, another one."

I've been busy cleaning and cleaning. I didn't realize there were people who just didn't clean at all. I'll readily admit that I'm not the best cleaner. I get busy, I'm a barn girl and the deep cleaning gets put off, and the dishes pile up. But our new house was occupied by people who apparently just didn't clean. It has been taking me about 3 hours to clean each room, sometimes more. Some things are difficult like grout and the edges of showers. But porcelain and tile? It just takes a swipe. I don't see how you could just never spray something over the outside of the toilet. There was an inch of dust on the sides, plus mold underneath that layer. Maybe you don't wipe down the moulding along the floor, but letting big piles of dust accumulate seems excessive. Well, things are beginning to look and smell much nicer.
Soon I'll get back to horse stuff.

·
Premium Member
13,275 Posts
Sounds a bit like the house we rented in Benson. Cleaning it was hideous. And so much of it was just someone who didn't care - AT ALL - about minimal cleanliness! We always live with a certain amount of dirt, dog hair, etc - part of having horses and dogs all at home. We are not neat freaks! But the nasty stuff we found....YEGADS! We actually went to look at a home to buy a few weeks ago. It sold while we were inside looking. 😕 But...the number of places where someone had OBVIOUSLY cut corners - painting over rotted wood, for example! The homes we made offers on were at least clean and in decent repair. But some folks.....and dirty toilets? Yep....

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I hate cleaning. Most of all I hate cleaning other people's dirt! I would rather clean the barn than dust and vacuum.

We moved in January and I am soooooo lucky. They left this house spotless! I walked in with my cleaning "tool kit" and found nothing to do.

Hoping you can get back to the fun stuff before too long.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
When I was first married we moved into a bunkhouse at a ranch we hired on. Bunkhouses are traditionally messy I guess, because cowboys are often young and single at those jobs. There was a couple in before us though, so I didn’t expect what we got.

It was awful! I am not a particular kind of person, but I am somewhat tidy. Anyways, this house was so bad that I sat and cried. Everything about it was bad. The kitchen was colored in sparkly grease, and mouse crap was an inch thick in every drawer. Some drunk cowboy must have scratched the word “stove” onto the stove, and the smell was hideous. Everything in the bathroom was yellow and everything had a stickiness to it.

The house itself was in awful repair, and a creek had ran straight under it, messing with the wiring where it blinked on and off. The area was stunning at least, and these big apple trees surrounded it in a meadow. You could pick apples straight out the window.

The week we cleaned everything and moved in I had cried to another hired man’s wife. She laughed, “well, maybe a tree will fall on it.” We went to the fair and came home and wouldn’t you know, a tree had fallen on the house. Husband was up in arms, “This is too much! This crosses the line.” I laughed like a crazy person. I thought that was the funniest thing that had ever happened.

The roof caved in over the dining area, and the light hung from the ceiling where you had to duck to get around it. The ranch hired someone to do a job of fixing the roof, but it wasn’t a good job because water poured in with the rains. They left the caved in dining room though. Lol.

The cat was spectacular, and she literally piled dead mice in the hall every day. She would leave 20 mice a day for the first month, and then she brought it down where it was only three or four.

When I had my oldest daughter I said we had to leave. They finally burned that house down after us. We were the last ones in there. I think they thought the creek mixing with the wiring was going to burn it down anyways.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Lol. It really was kind of funny. I couldn’t understand why no one would take their shoes off in my house, because I was young and because I figured it was required respect for my cleaning. Lol

It was an adventure for sure, but I think the house displayed my life at the time…

·
Registered
177 Posts
Lol. It really was kind of funny. I couldn’t understand why no one would take their shoes off in my house, because I was young and because I figured it was required respect for my cleaning. Lol

It was an adventure for sure, but I think the house displayed my life at the time…
When I married my second husband (yes, they’re numbered…LOL!), we were really broke so couldn’t afford much in rent. We ended up renting a two bedroom house at the lake kind of sight unseen. I’m not a fabulous house keeper by any means but man….this house was horrific. The grease on the wall behind the stove was at least an inch thick and it was like a brick wall so I ended up having to actually take a chisel to clean some of it off. The bathroom hadn’t been cleaned in years and everything in there was painted a different color…a sunshine yellow vanity with purple, turquoise and lime green drawers, red linen cabinet with orange, blue and black doors, stuff like that. A big part of our entertainment was drinking cheap beer and you did NOT want to walk into that bathroom with that psychedelic color scheme after drinking a few too many. That husband gave me some stovepipe type western boots for a wedding present and I was putting them on one day. There were two scorpions in there that stung me about fifteen times before my husband could get the boot cut off…my leg had already starting swelling…hated losing those boots! After me cleaning that place up and us repainting etc, we ended up having to move after about three months because the owner’s house was being foreclosed upon and they gave us two hours notice to pack our stuff and get out. Hadn’t thought about that house in years!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
@Txshecat0423 it is funny how those things make life worth it. I think had my husband and I not been fighting so much back then we really could have had some fun in that house. We did a little, but not like we should have.

Now I see young broke kids getting married and remember those times and laugh. It makes you I guess.

·
Registered
6,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #491 ·
Our first apartment after we got married was in the city, and the tenant in the upstairs unit above us had bipolar. There would be several days of complete silence, followed by her manic period where it sounded like bowling balls being dropped overhead, and the vacuum running all night, loud laughter as she chatted on the phone for hours. Then silence again.

When it rained, we discovered that during the quiet periods, our upstairs neighbor would not bring her dog outside, but instead was putting her out on the deck. So when it rained, the dog waste began dripping down on all our stuff we had on our deck outside. We complained to the landlord, he talked to her, she slashed my tires. Unfortunately, it was just before a riding lesson, so I had to cancel. I would have rather it happened before my work, LOL. The landlord said there was nothing he could do about her behaviors, so after several months we moved out and decided to never have an apartment again.

Our next little house was much better, although there was no insulation so in the summer we lay dying on the sofa, too hot to move, and in the winter the pipes froze and burst in the middle of the night, and the water shut off was underneath snow so DH had to dig it out. Then we had a couple of days waiting for the pipes to be repaired, with no running water to flush the toilets with or take a shower. We would drive to the grocery store to use the bathroom.

·
Registered
6,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #492 ·
Aria's harness arrived, and it is beautiful. Unfortunately, it is also a little too small, so I have to exchange it for the next larger size. Now I have to be patient. She let me put the saddle and back strap on to try it on, with no issues. Of course I didn't attach the crupper yet. I know how that one goes...horses need a lot of room to run with their hind end tucked under while they figure out the feeling of something under the tail.

A couple days ago DH came to help get hay in, and pick up five wheelbarrows of manure off the field. I was a little behind from the time constraints during moving. Now things are looking better.

Mikey's rider was supposed to meet me after her work at around 6 pm yesterday. Unfortunately, she called at 6 from the vet's office where she works. It was the day after the three day weekend, and they still had a dog to stitch up, a cat to see, and a horse to geld so she would not make our ride. She has been doing the virtual Tevis cup and is almost finished.

I ponied Aria off Hero, and we went the farthest we've gone yet. About a mile and a half total. So far it just feels like I'm riding Hero. The ponying part is no issue, except Aria doesn't trot yet on the line so when I have Hero trot, we come to the end of the line and have to walk again. I've only been using a regular lead rope so far, but I've ordered a longer line to use. Hero is still calmer with his buddy along, but sometimes he doesn't want to go forward if he's scared, and then we get stuck. But I didn't have to get off, I was able to work him forward after a bit, so that was good. Aria is adapting very well to going out and seeing new things. She has very little concern after going to a new place once.

·
Registered
6,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #495 ·
Lovely ride yesterday evening. DH was willing to go for a walk so led Aria while I rode Hero around the 45 minute loop I usually do with Mikey's rider. When we went by her stable, she said, "I wish I knew you were riding!" Too bad, but it was a last minute decision - we hadn't been sure if we'd make it out in time for me to go for a ride.

So far I've had trouble getting Aria to trot when she is being ponied, but tonight every time I trotted Hero she would break into a trot too. Hopefully that will carry over to ponying. She is a brave little pony. The first several times Hero went onto the wooded trail with Mikey, who is unflappable, Hero was very nervous, jiggy, and worried. I had to drag him in.
Aria walked right into the wooded part and then immediately noticed there was green grass along the trail and was diving for it. She had many snacks all along the way due to her handler, but I thought it was good for her to think positively about getting out into the big wide world.

There is a part where we leave the woods and enter the backside of a nursery. Hero is always quite calm about the debris since he believes woods are scary and man-made things are comforting. The track gives that to horses. But that was where Aria spooked. There are piles of empty plant pots, tarps, trailers, a pump house that makes noises, and it's a very stimulating scene. Still, she only spooked once and then calmed right down. The only way you can tell she is nervous in areas she has never seen before is by listening to her breathing, which gets a little shorter and faster. But she keeps walking out and also searching for food as we go.

We commented about how different a green Aria is from how a green Amore was. DH thinks Aria is so much like Amore, because she has a lot of the same mannerisms. Such as being very food oriented, and she has many little looks and postures that remind us of Amore. When you get her home and stop, she immediately begins to rub her head on you. Amore always did that. But they are very different when it comes to reactivity.

If we had brought green Amore out of the woods into the nursery storage area, she would have snorted, darted and danced all over the place for at least the next half hour, for sure. Aria was like, "Yikes!" and then immediately began walking calmly again.

Hero was far more worried about things throughout the ride, compared to Aria. Still, he has improved immensely in the past year, and even in the past six months. I even offered for DH to ride instead of walk, because Hero was that good. No bucking, skittering or kicking at all. He's had enough good rides around the area, I think he's mellowing with age, his physical problems are the best they've ever been, and he feels safe with his little pony. DH wanted to walk, and that suited me fine. It was nice to be riding.

·
Registered
6,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #496 ·
As I was unpacking a couple days ago, I thought that I needed to find a new home for Hero's Scoot boots because he does better in the Renegades. I tried asking Mikey's rider if she could use them for her mule, but Maybelle actually wears a very small size because her hooves are so conical and small at the bottom.
Then yesterday @egrogan popped up on my FB page asking about used boots and I realized she was looking for 3 slims, which is what Hero's boots were. So today I'm shipping Hero's boots to Fizz, and ordered Renegades for Aria's hind hooves. That worked out great.
I have bought some toe straps for the Renegades with buckles instead of velcro, so I'm going to try those out soon to see if I prefer the buckles.

·
Registered
6,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #498 ·
Yesterday worked more with Aria on lunging. She is doing so well, I think we can transition to ground driving when her harness arrives.

Unfortunately, I made a mistake. Both horses had their boots on, and after lunging Aria I had the horses loose in the arena. I decided since there was no time for a ride or walk, I should get them running around a bit for exercise. Hero got a bit too excited, right away. He began galloping, but too fast for the area and doing tight corners with legs flying everywhere. I began to look at the boots and get an ominous feeling. I couldn't even see his hooves, they were blurring so fast in all directions as he snorted, kicked, bucked, galloped. Argh. By the time I got him stopped, sure enough, one hind boot was flapping in the wind, hanging off his fetlock.

I took it off and surveyed the damage. Something new I hadn't seen before...he'd ripped the cables through the side of the boot, breaking them through the plastic. Each boot is "only" about $100, and I was feeling very dumb about my choice to have Mr. Ungraceful wear his boots while galloping about madly. We live and learn.

I believe that after cramming the cables back through the plastic, closing the broken area back together with gorilla glue and adding duct tape for good measure, we might have a workable boot again. I doubt it would hold up to wild galloping again, but if I am dumb enough to do that again I will deserve to have it break. 😬

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
I’m sorry, that’s a bit of a loss isn’t it? I would mourn the loss of one of my boots, although I rarely use them anymore.

I hope the fix works out.

·
Premium Member
13,275 Posts
I'm back to using Bandit's boots any time we go to the desert. The chat we put in our corral seems to have encouraged them to move around more, and the fine gravel wears down their soles as well as their hooves. I view that as a positive, but it means Mr. Thin Soles needs boots for the desert.

481 - 500 of 500 Posts