The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mare Bella (28 years old) was recently given a few months to live, and then took a real turn for the worse. I was planning on putting her down this week, because she has melanoma tumors on her rectum area, and she has major lameness issues in her front right leg, which I was told was causing her pain. I struggled with this decision, because she didn't seem ready. I have never been religious but I prayed every night to be given more time with my mare (whom I've had for 15 years). I have my mare at a friends house, and she called me yesterday saying that her tumor had "popped" and said the vet would be there today to look it over. I feared the worse, and prepared myself for a hard choice. I got there, and my mare, for one, wasn't limping! I asked if anyone had given her bute or something, and no one had. Then my vet had checked out her tumors. ****GRAPHIC**** Black ooze was was coming out and I of course I was crying... he asked why and was actually smiling! I thought he was being insensitive! He then told me not only was this a good thing, he'd checked the rest of her tumors! They shrank! He said that this will buy her some more time. Then I asked about her leg (now I got a diagnoses from my farrier not my vet which was stupid of me) He flexed it a bit, and felt her pastern... She's fine, its arthritis! She's in no pain because of her leg! So I thanked God, and my vet. I now have A little more time with her, and he told me that I may have a year or more!!!!! And that she's not lame and even healthy enough to do light riding considering she'd been ridden up until I was given this diagnoses. I am in awe! I doubt I would really ride her, but just to know that she is sound enough. That I have more time with my baby! I had to share my happiness!!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Thats wonderful. Really a true miracle. Have lots of fun with Bella and take as many photos of you can. Never waste a minute you spend with her. Time is so precious.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My fiance is a photographer, and he has been taking pictures every time we go up, and I know he will continue to do that for me. I am so blessed to have this time with her.

·
Registered
615 Posts
wow, im amazed, if my nana heard this story she would be saying "i told you to pray to god and look what miracles he does for others, just keep praying"

so glad you have some more time with her, cherish every moment

·
Registered
987 Posts
That is so great for you and Bella. May your time left be blessed with joy no matter how much time you have left with her. A true miracle.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you. I have been spending nearly everyday with her :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.