The Horse Forum banner

A Very Amateur Collection of Less-Than-Decent Artwork

981 Views 13 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Acadianartist
Well folks, time to do something I have no business doing- creating an art journal. I usually have just a few minutes a week so I probably can’t update it very often, and when I do it might just be a quick photo of some old work.
The hope with this is that I’ll improve, so please critique these! Say it sucks, it made you gag,etc. I know it sucks, it made me gag too, and I take no offence. But please also tell me what I’m doing wrong and how to fix it. As much as I understand that it’s bad and don’t mind you saying that, it also doesn’t help me improve.
Thanks everyone so much.
Some of y’all have already seen this one, but I don’t have more photos of my artwork; I’ll take a few and add them soon.
I did this a week ago from a photo. I spent about an hour getting the proportions right before shading but they still turned out wrong 😂. In total it probably took about 3 hours.
Painting Art Tail Drawing Illustration
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Banned
2011 bay Arab gelding (Galeno)
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok; I got some photos of other artwork:
This is a drawing I did of my horse Galeno. I think the ears are too large (especially the one on the right). I also made him look a lot younger than he is. The photo I worked from made him look like an older horse since it showed the little stiff scratchy grey hairs on his muzzle from eating (not the feelers), so I tried to make him look a little younger but he turned out too young. If that made any sense at all. I think the halter looks like a part of his face instead of on his face as well, and the forelock is messed up
Jaw Gesture Fin Painting Fish

This is one I did freehand about a year and a half ago. There are definitely a lot of issues here too (as in all of my work).
Head Horse Jaw Gesture Art

· Premium Member
10,694 Posts
Love the title of this thread. In the first head drawing above, yes, the ears are a bit off, as in the second one (too small in the second one). Some exercises in proportions might help you. Use your pencil to measure by just stretching your hand out with it and, using your thumb, measuring the length of say, an ear (in the photo), and compare that with other features like, say the width of the forehead, the length of the head, etc. So the length of the head might be 2-3 times the length of the ear (depending on angle), for example.

Forehead Nose Cheek Eyebrow Eye

Nose Cheek Hand Eye Eyelash

Everything needs to be measured against other features. Then sketch it out quickly on paper by just creating basic shapes, filling in the details last.

Nose Head Jaw Gesture Ear

Check proportions again and again, so is the ear the same length as the distance between the eye and the jaw? Between the eye and the nostril? It's tedious, but it's the only way to get accurate proportions. If you get those right, everything else will fall into place. You have enough skill and technique to draw very well, you just need to make these slight adjustments.

I also like to do a lot of really quick sketches while I watch my horses graze. I'm taking like 1-2 minutes. They keep moving, so you really have no choice. I don't put in any details, I just sketch the big shapes to teach myself proper proportions, and I try to do lots of quick sketches from different angles and capturing different postures. It's shocking how much our eyes and brain try to interpret incorrectly so you have to just learn to "see" more accurately.

· Banned
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Love the title of this thread. In the first head drawing above, yes, the ears are a bit off, as in the second one (too small in the second one). Some exercises in proportions might help you. Use your pencil to measure by just stretching your hand out with it and, using your thumb, measuring the length of say, an ear (in the photo), and compare that with other features like, say the width of the forehead, the length of the head, etc. So the length of the head might be 2-3 times the length of the ear (depending on angle), for example.

View attachment 1127862

View attachment 1127863

Everything needs to be measured against other features. Then sketch it out quickly on paper by just creating basic shapes, filling in the details last.

View attachment 1127864

Check proportions again and again, so is the ear the same length as the distance between the eye and the jaw? Between the eye and the nostril? It's tedious, but it's the only way to get accurate proportions. If you get those right, everything else will fall into place. You have enough skill and technique to draw very well, you just need to make these slight adjustments.

I also like to do a lot of really quick sketches while I watch my horses graze. I'm taking like 1-2 minutes. They keep moving, so you really have no choice. I don't put in any details, I just sketch the big shapes to teach myself proper proportions, and I try to do lots of quick sketches from different angles and capturing different postures. It's shocking how much our eyes and brain try to interpret incorrectly so you have to just learn to "see" more accurately.
Thank you so much @Acadianartist for all of your advice! Proportion isn’t easy for me and these tips I’m sure will help a lot with that.

· Banned
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
they are nice sketches. Very pleasant to look at.

I use a pencil just like in that post photo. on my computer screen.
try to MAKE tiime to draw. It has benefits, like exercize, but you have to WANT them
Thank you so much! I’m usually very busy and my spare time mainly goes towards riding my horses… seeing other peoples art on here (especially you’re art journal) has definitely made me much more interested in drawing well than I have been.

· Premium Member
10,694 Posts
Thank you so much @Acadianartist for all of your advice! Proportion isn’t easy for me and these tips I’m sure will help a lot with that.
I only know because I suck at it :) But doing lots of quick sketches helps. Still, I have a strong preference for painting trees because no one will ever know if you made that branch too long! 🤣

· Banned
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I only know because I suck at it :) But doing lots of quick sketches helps. Still, I have a strong preference for painting trees because no one will ever know if you made that branch too long! 🤣
True😂 and trees don’t have to be perfectly straight. Maybe I should take up drawing trees…

· Banned
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I started working on this yesterday. Any conformation/proportion issues before I get too deep into it. I’ll probably rogarte the eye and move it upwards, but anything else? Also any guesses as to who it is? He was a famous Canadian showjumper, but I don’t know how famous he is outside of Canada. Died I 2011.
Head Horse Jaw Art Font

· Premium Member
51,795 Posts
the eye needs to go a bit 'northwest', if that helps. Also, larger and really LOOK at the angles of the eyelids that enfold the eye. the horse eye is tricky becuase it is neither truly on the front of the face, like human, cat, dog eyes . . nor truly on the side, like fish or birds. It is at an angle, but not like a cartoon Siamese cat.

try tracing one off your computer screen to be able to see the lines clearly. Some are convex, and some places concave. this is important to really look without preconcieved ideas.

· Banned
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the eye needs to go a bit 'northwest', if that helps. Also, larger and really LOOK at the angles of the eyelids that enfold the eye. the horse eye is tricky becuase it is neither truly on the front of the face, like human, cat, dog eyes . . nor truly on the side, like fish or birds. It is at an angle, but not like a cartoon Siamese cat.

try tracing one off your computer screen to be able to see the lines clearly. Some are convex, and some places concave. this is important to really look without preconcieved ideas.
Thank you so much! This is great advice, I’ll be sure to put it into practice here

· Premium Member
10,694 Posts
Another thing I've done is rendered the drawing somewhat transparent using my photo editing software, then superimposing it over the reference photo. This will show you exactly where your drawing is off. I don't ever trace, but compare after an initial sketch to make adjustments if necessary. It's also a good way to teach yourself about issues you tend to get wrong. Not saying you did! The sketch above looks wonderful to me! But I always struggle with eye placement on horses.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.