The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Introduction
Hey, so I thought that I would start a journal to kind of talk to people that are like me. Also so I had somewhere to talk, and not take over other people threads! LOL! First, I will start with a little bit about myself.
My family moved to a farm in 2012, ever since then I have wanted a horse. I mean, what kind of farm doesn't have a horse? My dad continually told me that we were not set up for a horse. (My dad grew up working on a ranch and rode a very old, grumpy Appaloosa, and now he is pretty sure all horses are evil). I didn't give up though. Even though I was only 9 years old, I constantly asked for riding lessons, and in the mean time, I read anything I could get my hands on. Whether that was a novel, or an informational book, it didn't matter, so long as it had a horse. My mom looked around for lessons, and found a barn in town. She left countless E-mails, and left many voice messages, they never got back to us. I was devastated. My mom continued to look.
Eventually, I was now 14, and one Saturday while my mom was selling meat at the Farmers Market, her friend Lori, told her that I could come out and ride her horse, Tessa. She hadn't been riding her very often, and said she needed the exercise.I was very excited and we went out to see her. I wasn't able to ride her, but I spent close to an hour just brushing her, and loving on her. Eventually Lori's trainer, Justine, came out, and we went to check out her horses. She threw me on bareback on her gelding, O'Malley. She led me around the yard and that was the second time I had ever been on a horse. The first had been on a beach in Mexico that spring. Justine explained that she had stopped teaching lessons a while back, but would be willing to teach me. I was so excited, plus she only charged $35 for two hours! But, as my mom began to talk to my dad about it, they both decided that I would be unable to ride, because the only time Justine could teach, was the evening, and they didn't want to give up family dinners. I was devastated, I was finally about to get lessons, and all my dreams were shot away.
My mom continued to look for lessons, and we found a man named Harold. Harold lived by himself with his three horses, and boarded a couple others. In September 2019 I started lessons on a little gelding named Quinn. Quinn was an amazing horse. He would walk, trot whenever Harold said to, including stop. A couple lessons later I was introduced to his second horse, Storm. I love Storm, he was the best horse ever! He was a big paint gelding, and was super willing, and trusting. After that was Janice. She was a four year old, green mare. She was ... interesting. She was still very young and very green, and I hadn't been riding for very long, so she was a challenge for me. She would give little crow-hops, and once I was galloping up a hill with her, and she gave a big buck. I fell half out of the saddle, but luckily, I grabbed the saddle horn, and managed to pull myself back on. When I told Harold about this after our ride, he just laughed and said: "I wish I had seen that!" I loved Harold, he was a super kind old man, that loved horses. He would push me just enough, and would let me figure things out on my own. I had to stop riding in December because he didn't have an indoor ring, but I was looking forward to next spring when I could ride again. Then Covid hit, and because he was older, my mom didn't want me to accidently get him sick, so I have had to stop riding.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I enjoyed reading your post, I hope you are able to ride again soon! I'm a teen as well and I don't know what I would do without horses. Best of luck to you on your journey with horses!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aww... That is awesome! She looks amazing! How long have you had her?

Reactions: gottatrot

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Absolutely! What do you enjoy doing most with her? Eventing? Jumping? Cross-Country? I think Cross-country would be fun, I would just have to really trust myself as a rider, to ensure that I wouldn't hurt my horse by jumping into a log or something!

Reactions: gottatrot

·
Registered
31 Posts
Jumpers is our thing. She loves to jump and so do I, it's definitely one of our favorite things to do. I think cross country would be so much fun to do, I would love to do that!
Do you ride Western? What is your favorite thing to do when riding?

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
@AbbySmith, hold on to your dream! You have had so many setbacks, so unfortunate. You will make this come true. Don't give up. This Horse Forum is chock full of people like you who longed to learn to ride and have a horse . . . some of them until they were 40 or 50. I hope you don't have to wait that long. Also, hopefully with the vaccine just a few months away, you will be able to go back to your awesome lessons. It sounds like you were making great progress.

I wish you lived closer to me because I love to take kids riding that yearn to be around horses. It was something I had to fight for so hard, and I like to pay it forward to other kids.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@knightrider !!!! That is amazing what you do! That is what I want to do, I want to make it easier for kids to get lessons, and be near something that they truly live for!
@untamed equestrian, jumping sounds awesome! Do you compete? I was riding Western all the way. I never want to change to English, I love Western riding, and all the events and activities associated with it! When I was riding I was only ever walk, trot, canter, stop, back up, and do figure eights. We were getting there, but the only activity we did was go on trail rides, and gallop uncontrollably! So much fun! Barrel racing and pole bending sounds like a lot of fun. I really want to compete. I was going to try to go to a show this summer, but...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My Animals
So know that y'all know that I want a horse! I will talk about what animals I do have.
My family lives owns a pig farm, so we own 150 pigs. We breed them and sell their piglets, and sell their pork at the Farmers Market, online, and to local businesses. We also have 150 ewes, and 5 rams. We sell their meat as well. I love these animals. I have trained many many pigs to come to dogfood. They must love the corn in it or something because they will do anything for it! I had one I named Piglet. I could hold the piece of dogfood and tell her to sit, and she would. Then I could pat her tummy and she would roll over! She was amazing! I loved her! She is not around anymore (we ate her 🤫) but when she was, she was living in a 20 acre field with 100 more pigs, and every time I walked in to check in them she would come running across the field to get her treat! It became a game for my brother and I to try and get in the pen, check on all the pigs, and get back out again with out her noticing us! She was a great pig! I have trained many pigs to come to dogfood, I love my pigs!
I have also trained the sheep with dogfood, I don't know what it is about it, but we go through more dogfood on other animals than the dogs! None of the sheep will roll over, but they will come over to me, follow me, and even look through my pockets to find their treats. A lot of them died because they were old, but right now the sheep that follow me are, Callie, Camera, and Aggy's Son. And Wannabe occasionally. I know they are stupid names but there are more! Here are some of the names of the sheep that used to like me but are dead now; Mama, Greedy Gut, F1, Livvy, Oreo, Butt Sniffer, and there are a lot more!
I also have three amazing donkeys! It took me forever to find them, because there are literally none in BC! But now I have my Jack, Tim, he is for sale though because he is too small to breed my Jennets. My Jennets are Ruby and Lilly. They are a mother daughter pair, 8 and 5 years old. They are a little big for minis, 37 and 38 inches, so I can't register them, but I only have them to love them! I will post photos in a bit!

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Can you use your interest and care of the other animals to prove to your parents that you could take care of a horse? When I was 9, my parents let me get a pair of rabbits. I took really good care of my rabbits, got lots of babies, got other people's rabbits that they were tired of, and sold the babies. Whenever I was sick or tired or busy, I still took care of the rabbits. Sometimes my parents would offer to help, and I told them I was proving I could take care of a horse by being so responsible with the rabbits. And when I was 12, I finally got my horse.

Since you live on a farm with all those animals, including donkeys, I see no reason why a horse couldn't be added.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I compete a bit. However, because of covid I haven't in a while. That sounds awesome! I always thought barrel racing looked fun. I hope you are able to compete one day! Don't give up, you will get to be with horses and ride them again.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@knightrider I have proven that I can take care of a horse, I do all my chores (feed pigs, check on sheep, take care of donkeys, etc.). I do a lot around the farm, and they always see me reading horse books, so they know I can take care of a horse, that is not the problem. The problem is:
1. we are not set up for it, I know, I have tried to say that I will build a pen for him, but..
2. My dad only sees them as a money pit that doesn't do anything. He has said that we can talk about getting a horse this August, and he will feed them hay. But I will have to pay to buy the horse, tack, vet, farrier, etc.
Now, I realize that my dad offering to feed them hay is nice of him, but I already help make the hay. Like, I drove the tractor all summer this year, raking the hay. Even when my dad was cutting, or baling, I was in the tractor with him, getting out to get things unplugged, and helped fix everything that broke. So, technically, I should already get the hay? I know, it sounds selfish, but it is just going to be a lot of money. Plus, he won't let me get the horse until I have payed him back for my donkeys. I owe him $1400 for the donkeys, and he is letting me work some of the money off, but not all. I am trying to sell Tim since he is too small anyways, so we'll see. Then he will pay for some of the girls. I am trying to come up with ways to earn money, but it is hard when I live 30 mins out of town and we only have one car. I work on Saturdays but I only get about $40 a week, and my dad makes me put half of it away for college. He does pay me for working on the farm which is nice, I get about $160 a month but I also have to put half of that away for college. So, I am trying to work something out, so hopefully I can get a horse next summer.
Also I really do appreciate his offer to feed the horse, but he is feeding the donkeys right now, and he is just giving them free deed, and they are getting rather fat. It doesn't matter too much because they are just pets, but it is really going to matter when I get a horse, so I will have to limit how much he feeds to him.
Another item, dad will want to just put the horse in with the sheep but they are on free feed, and the horse is going to get fat. I need a separate pen for my horse and donkeys to live in. But I have no idea where.
Wow, okay it sounds like my dad is a jerk! He is definitely not! I love my dad and he does anything he can for me, he just doesn't see a use for an animal that doesn't give any profit.
And yes, I don't see why a horse can't be added. Dad says that our fences won't hold one in. But we have 5 foot page wire fencing in a 20 acre pen, and he ran a string of electric wire across the top of a quarter of it, so I could finish stringing that. I am pretty sure that a horse would stay in that. There are posts every 4 feet, with page wire fencing stapled all along it. Plus, I helped build that fence. My brother and I did most of the fencing. So I really don't see why he can't live there. I have talked to like three different horse people, and they all say that the horse would be fine there, but my dad is just not hearing it. He still thinks that all horses are evil. The appy he rode, would pin him into the fence every time he tried to unlock a fence, and was a grump.
I just need to find a way to prove to dad that horses aren't evil, and that they can live there!
I don't know, I guess I will just save up my money until August, and then talk. I don't even know what he wants to see! He doesn't say "you don't have a proper water system". Instead he just says, "we are not set up for it, we will talk in August."
Anyways . . .

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Here is another argument which convinced me to get horses for my kids: the horse is very useful because it keeps the kids from getting into things like drugs and gangs. We live way out in the country and yes, there are drugs and gangs out here too. Better for you to be barrel racing on Saturday nights than hanging out with a bunch of rowdy losers drinking in somebody's cornfield. I wanted my kids to have horses so that they would have a healthy safe outlet and have good friends to have wholesome adventures with.

My kids did barrel racing, camping with their friends and their horses, trail rides, parades, picnics, and fun shows. It's a lot better than being bored and car surfing, playing chicken, or drag racing on back roads. If my kids had been interested in mounted shooting or roping, I would have encouraged them to do that.

Horses can save kids' lives, and I would guess that there are some teens on the Horse Forum right now that would agree with that. Maybe you can tell your parents that.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good idea! I would try that but I am already pretty responsible so not sure if that would work. I don't think I am going to be able to do anything until August. My dad will probably just say; "We will talk in August". Dunno.🤷‍♀️

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Animals 2
So, when I uploaded the pics I realized that I had forgotten about the cows! We only have the three right now so there aren't any more.
My brother and I have always wanted a milk cow and finally in March this year, my dad caved and bought a cow. She is 3/4 jersey, 1/4 Holstein (giving her her colour). Her name is Maggie. When we bought her, she was bred to calve in June. The brown calf on the right is hers. His name is Henry. He is a super friendly guy and loves under his chin scratched! I don't know why, but I taught him to lift his hooves, so, he can do that!
When we bought the cow, the dairy also had the little black steer on the left. They didn't want him because he was a boy, so we got him as a package deal. The dairy said he was 3 weeks old when we got him, but he was very small. Looking back, he was probably only 3 days. Because we thought he was 3 weeks, we weaned him way too early. He is fine, and eating solids and all, but it is just taking him a little longer to grow. He is about a month older than Henry is, and Henry is a lot bigger. I named the little black steer Bullnard.
So, before we got Bullnard dad asked us if we wanted to bottle feed a calf. My older brother and I both said 'no'. We would have to be milking the cow. And we were already checking on the ewes every two hours for new lambs. We did not want to have to feed a calf as well. My younger brother and sister however said that they wanted to. So great, we got the calf. Eventually, my younger sister never did anything for the calf, and my brother began to get bored. One day the calf was still not fed, so I reminded my brother to feed him. He said he didn't want to, and that I should, because I never do. I did eventually feed the calf, because you shouldn't hurt an animal for something he didn't do! After that I started feeding the calf more and more. It then turned into my job to feed him. Unless there was friends over. The my brother had to make sure that he fed him, so every one knew he bottle fed a calf! So annoying. He maybe fed the calf for a week total! I fed him the entire rest of the time! Including 8AM every Saturday, and Sunday. And then he takes the credit, and says it is his calf. He does that with the sheep too. Whenever there is a lamb, I will spend hours with the lamb draped across my leg peeing on me, and the lamb leaking milk from his mouth in the other leg, while he learn to suck a bottle. Then when the lamb is two weeks old, he will bring a pail of milk up to them once a day, and they suck on the pail all day. Then he says they are his lambs. When in reality I kept them alive! The first few days are the most important! Anyways . . . I do love my animals, even if my brother takes the credit for them! I don't just love horses. They are my first love, but I do love all animals, but not any birds! They creep me out!

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Can you learn how to train the horses to do work around the farm? Then they could help pay for themselves. You can train them to do all sorts of useful things. Even just hauling logs or a feed cart for the other animals. That might overcome your dad's objections.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts