The Horse Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
@knightrider, thank you! I do do a lot on the farm But I really love it. My first love is horses, and my second love is farming. My dad really likes that I like farming, so that's a bonus. We do a lot together. This summer my older brother got a summer job, and he is usually the one who helps with all the haying and stuff, but he wasn't here, so I got to do it! I was freaked out at first, but I figured it out!
@ACinATX, yeah, I don't know. My dad just bought a brand new tractor so he does most of the work with that. Hmm... I mean, am not 100% sure why he won't let me get the horse. He knows it is obviously something I love. And he wants me to be happy. That is why he let me get the donkeys. I am pretty sure that he would let me get a horse if I could just find a way to prove to him that the horse can live in the sheep field. He thinks it has to be six strings of electric like it would be for cattle, and he just doesn't seem to understand that that is not necessary. That is his biggest issue. Where is it going to live? And for whatever reason, that field isn't gonna work. Another thing though, I am not sure why he won't even talk about it until August. He didn't say "You can get a horse in August. He said "We can talk about getting a horse in August." So why won't he even talk about what I need to do, before I get the horse? Cause if he wants me to fence of an entire field, I could do that over the summer, but I won't know what he wants until August. I don't know. I mean, I am really really grateful that he is even considering it now, before, he would just instantly say no, and shut it down. Now, I just need to prove that a horse is not stupid, and that it can live in the sheep pen.
@untamed equestrian, Thank you! I do love my sheep! They are one of my favorite animals and my dad has taught me so much about the pigs and the sheep! I an literally a sheep expert! LOL! Well, I can pick out the different breeds that we own. I gotta say though, my favorite time of the year is January. That is when we start lambing! And I mean, sure, I have to go outside at 8, 10, 12, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10. every single day. But dad wakes up twice throughout the night to check on them, so... It does suck that it is so cold here though. In January it gets down to -40. Not fun. I have to sit there in front of a heater and warm the lambs up and dry them off. And of course my brother doesn't want to do it, so I get to get covered in afterbirth. Great. In January, none if my clothes are ever clean. LOL! I really do love living on a farm though!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I love sheep, I have 2 shropshires. I just live on a hobby farm, so they're just pets, but my Dad and I are trying to convince my Mom to let us breed our ewe. Your horse could definitely live with your sheep, and it would probably be a lot happier to be with other animals. In my area I've seen several farms that keep horses and sheep together. I would really try and get your Dad on board with having a horse. Although its great that you want to pay for as much as possible, if your horse gets injured or needs some extra care that you can't afford, it's good to know that you have your parent's support. Also, I don't know if you're planning to go to college, but if you are its good to have a plan on what's going to happen to your horse then as well. Could you see if someone would want to lease a horse if you got one? They could come down and ride a few days of the week, and it would also take care of some of the expenses of owning a horse.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Aww... we have a couple Shropshires too. We have two that look exactly the same so we named them Susan and Sally, and we literally can't tell them apart.
I am sure that if there was an emergency, my dad would step in and help pay for it. He doesn't like to see any animals get hurt, or be in pain. I am not too worried about that.
Yeah, I was thinking he could live with the sheep in their pasture all summer, but in winter they are brought to the house and get free feed. I am not sure if I want my horse on free feed so I was thinking of leaving him and the donkeys in the pasture, and just bringing hay down for them every day. Dad can drop a bale on the outside of the fence and I can pitchfork it in. Do you think that the horse would overeat if he was on free feed? My dad is going to say that having the horse in a separate pen is going to be a lot of work. But, all he has to do is drop a bale with the tractor once every two weeks. The only problem with leaving them down there, is that the water will freeze. In the summer we bring a trough down and fill it with a water tank, but that will freeze in the winter. I actually never thought about that! Wow, talking this out is really helping solidify my plan. Thank you for all your help! I really appreciate it!
That is an awesome idea! I never really thought about leasing the horse. My younger sister has a friend who really wants to ride, but she can't because of Covid. I am sure she would love that! That would totally pay for like the farrier fees. She owuld probably only come out once a week, but whatever. She might come out more over like Christmas break or something. Do you have any idea how much people usually charge for that?

·
Registered
30 Posts
That's so cute! Thankfully we can tell our two apart, but they are also an ewe and wether, sooo not so hard, lol.
Ok so here are a few things I would consider to cut horse costs. First, try and get a horse with good feet who is barefoot. My horse is barefoot and trimming is pretty inexpensive and it doesn't have to be done as often as shoeing. Depending on the type of shoes and the cost in your area, some owners have to pay $150 for special shoes on a routine basis. Barefoot is going to cut some costs. Also, if you can find an easy keeper, that's another plus. I'm guessing you would be looking at quarter horses since you ride western, and they do tend to be easy keepers. If your horse will mainly be doing trail riding and not be in a rigorous training routine, you can probably just keep him on a vitamin and mineral supplement and hay, and you wouldn't need grain. Again, if you get an easy keeper you often don't need to feed grain. As for feeding hay in the winter, you can probably just let him free feed outside, but keep track on how many flakes you feed him morning and evening. Horses are designed to eat almost constantly, so if you find he's overeating or gaining too much weight, you can put the desired amount of hay in a slow feeder so that he can still have access to hay for longer, since it will slow him down from eating as fast. Water freezing is common in the winter, if you can try and get an insulated bucket or bucket cover and try and put it in an area out of the wind. Horses are pretty smart, and given that the ice is thin enough they will often break it to drink. Just try and keep it ice free as often as possible. If your horse is going to be in a separate pen, try and see if you can have his pen close to some of the other livestock, so that he can at least see them.
Well, usually a half lease is a pretty common type of leasing where the owner and lease split the costs of the horse, such as boarding, feed, farrier, etc.), and the leaser can ride the horse for half the week. I've never leased a horse or leased out a horse, so I'm not completely sure on all the details. If your sister's friend would only be coming out once a week, it probably wouldn't really be a lease, but instead you could charge her for riding for an hour or something like that. I would work out with your parents and her parents what they think would be a reasonable price for that. If you do that or lease out your horse, make sure you cover liabilities of someone getting hurt or something like that. If you have a local tack or feed store, you can always advertise in one of those places to try and see if someone would want to lease your horse. I'm sorry I'm not to much help on that subject!😅

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Oh my gosh that was amazing info!
I kind of toyed with the idea of keeping the horse barefoot, but wasn't sure if that was a good idea, but if shoeing is $150, I will definitely try and go for barefoot. My farrier that is doing my donkeys charges $35 per trim, so it's not so bad.
Free feed, okay. My dad will be happy with that, because for some reason he feels it is easier.
Okay, if the horse will break thin ice, that is very helpful. My donkeys, and the sheep don't break anything. Even if it just like the thinnest little film, they just won't drink anything. I will look around, maybe they make wireless tank heaters? We don't have any power down there, so I couldn't use one that needs to be plugged in. Maybe they make ones that get charged? I have no idea! I'll look.
As for the lease, yeah I have no idea. She could probably only come out once a week. Because she has never ridden before, and her parents probably won't want her riding alone, so we will have to both be there, and we are both pretty busy. Yeah, I guess I could post something in town, maybe on Kijiji too. My dad might not like that idea though, because he doesn't really like a lot of people coming out (sigh). He'll for sure let the friend come out, and who knows we'll see what happens!
Okay, so now I just need to find one that fits the need. I don't really care too much for breed. I mean, I LOVE AQH, but I would rather have one that is barefoot, and if it isn't an AQH, than so be it. Okay, thank you so much. You are really helpful!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
So I found a boy on Kijiji. He is not barefoot but... what do you think? They say he a great beginner horse, and is the closest one, at 1 hour away

Reactions: gottatrot

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would ask a lot of questions. How old is he? If he's 5 and they say he's a beginner horse, I would be careful. Ask why they are selling him. Ask about health problems, behavior, tack, feed, you can't be too careful, so ask as many questions as you can. Ask for videos of him being ridden. If you know anyone else who has experience with horses or owns horses, I would show them his ad ask them what they think. If everything looks good, I would ask someone who owned horses and knew what they were doing to come down with you to look at him. Do not buy sight unseen. Ask if he would be ok not living with other horses, some horses turn into nervous wrecks when they are kept alone. As for his feet, ask why they shod him and if he has any foot problems. A lot of people shoe horses just because they think they need to be, and can often live without them. If he has no medical reasons for wearing shoes, you could probably pull them. My horse jumps, flats, trail rides, everything barefoot. Just remember to be very careful and proceed with caution, a lot of people will say anything if it gets the horse sold.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Makes sense, I probably won't be able to get him for a while, because I have to save up. I need another job!
Good to know, I wasn't sure if you could pull the shoes off of a horse after they had been shod. I was looking for a horse that was already barefoot, so that will make things easier. Maybe I could adopt one from the Animal Rescue? I am sue she would give it to me for cheaper than other places, and she will be honest about it. And, I could probably ride it once or twice and see if I like the way it moves. Hmm... I might actually do that! I am there every week, so I get to see all the horses that go through there. How often do you have to trim their hooves if they are barefoot? I know shoeing is usually 6-8 weeks, but you said something about it being longer if they were barefoot?

·
Registered
30 Posts
That’s great, and a good rescue will definitely be a lot more honest with you. It depends. Some horses need their hooves trimmed just as often as shod horses others can go over 8 weeks without a trim. It also depends on the season, hooves grow slower in the winter. It depends on the horse, and I can usually tell when Shani needs a trim. Horses out in rough terrain also sometimes can go longer since they wear their hooves down a bit naturally. It’s not that expensive either, usually around $45 dollars for a trim.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Yeah, I work at the rescue so I know the lady that owns it, and I will get to work with the horse, before I make any commitments. Plus, she should be able to tell me how often they need to be trimmed because they are in the same living conditions as they would be here. Plus, our driveway is gravel so that will wear his hooves down whenever I ride up and down it. It is like half a kilometer long, so it will be nice to cool him down on. Is the $45 for a barefoot trim, or a shoeing?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Donkeys
So, today I went out and worked with the donkeys. I just bought new halters for the girls so I tried them on to see if they fit. They did and all went well. I tried getting a halter on Lilly a little while ago, and yeah... she was not a fan. But she did really well today! I got the halter on and she was super patient. I had a little difficulty doing up the buckles with gloves on. I started leading her around the barn, but she didn't like it too much. I don't really care if she can't lead, so long as she lets me get the halter on her, tie her up, and lift her hooves for the farrier. Ruby was being a grump (like normal) and wouldn't let me get near her with the halter. Of course, she did come the minute I dropped the halter and approached with treats! Dogfood of course.
Then there was little Tim. I really love him. The whole time I was working with Lilly he would walk along with us, begging to be pet. I really wish I could give him treats, but it just doesn't go over well with him. Every time I give him even the smallest little treat, he is grumpy for the rest of the week. He will nip at you, and dig through your clothes trying to find the next treat. It sucks because he has so much potential to be a kids donkey, but I just haven't quite figured out a way to positively reinforce what he is being taught.
The of course Henry wanted to say hi, and let's just say he did not enjoy the halter! He just wanted his neck scratched. Weird thing though, I was leaving the pen and walked up to Maggie, and I have the lead rope over my shoulder, and the minute she saw it, she turned around and ran away. She has never run away. There is a story there for sure! Not sure what it is though because she has a halter on, and my brother had no problem putting it on even though that was literally his first time putting a halter on. Something happened to her, just not sure what...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
@untamedequestrian that's awesome! My farrier charges $35 for a trim, not sure how much for a shoeing, I guess I could talk to him about it. Yay! He won't live on gravel, but I will have to ride him on it to get up to the house, to the arena, and back home again.
@WildHeart I have tried doing that, but I already pet him a LOT so he doesn't seem to notice the difference. He is also only one this August, so his attention span is very small! He is halter broke, and I can lead him for a while. He really like to run, so sometimes I take him for a run up and down the driveway, he loves it! I was having issues with him biting me a while ago. He was in his own pen, and I got really busy and didn't have time to take for his walk, so he got very bored and restless, so when things settled down again, I tried to walk him, and he would just try to bite me, and he wouldn't move, so I was dragging him along, as he tried to bite my fingers off. I had no idea what to do, he was obviously bored, but I couldn't do anything with him without getting bit, We tried throwing a couple sheep in with him. And he just ran them around the entire pen and bit and kicked them. This might have been a terretorial issue though. Eventually in October, I threw the girls in with him, and they are older and did not put up with him. They kicked the crap out of him, and he has settled down a LOT! He is much better behaved and only gets nippy when he is fed treats. So, yeah, I have been trying to think of something. I have tried a thousand different kinds of treats, half of them he doesn't even eat! The girls will eat anything, he will not! Hmm... I guess I will think of something!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Eeek! It is 6AM where I live and I am getting ready to go to work! I was up at 5:30 to have a shower before I logged on. Who in their right mind wakes up at 5:30 on a Saturday?! Why did I decide to take this job! Right, it's for a horse, I am working, so I can get money for a horse. Okay, I have to go pack my lunch, I'll be back to check in with y'all some time this evening, I have someone interested in Tim, and they want to know how tall he is, so I have to measure him when I get home. I don't think he will approve of being woken up this morning just to be measured! LOL! Alright, I'm leaving now! Hope y'all got to sleep in longer than me!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
My riding past
I know, I am supposed to be at work, and I am, it is a split shift, so I am off right now, and figured I should write about what kind of riding I was doing last year. Here goes . . .
It all started when my mom was at the Farmers Market. A man came in to buy a package of bacon, and was short like 10 cents. He dug around in his pocket to find a dime, but my mom insisted he just take. 10 cents doesn't matter. He reluctantly agreed and took the bacon. My mom then made up something, and tole the man that today all bacon was 10 cents off for everyone wearing a cowboy hat. The man was wearing a cowboy hat, and he laughed. My mom proceeded to tell the man that I was a total fan of everything cowboy and horses, and that I didn't have a horse, but wanted one more than anything. The man told my mom that he taught lessons, and that we should come out to him. My mom and the man exchanged contacts and went about their day. My mom then forgot about the man and never mentioned him to me. Eventually she was looking through her contacts for someone else, and came across a contact named Harold. She had no idea who he was, and was going to delete him, when she remembered, he was the guy that had came to her at the market! She came and told me about the man, and I told that I was sefinitely interested! My mom texted with Harold and the next Wednesday I got my first riding lesson ever. This was just last September. I was first introduced to an older horse named Quinn. He was definitely a push-button horse, and would walk/trot/stop, whenever Harold tried to tell me what to do. Sometimes he would just spell it out, he would say "let me see your s-t-o-p" That way I could signal to Quinn, instead of Quinn doing it by himself. A couple weeks after working on Quinn. He introduced to my favorite horse, Storm. I had seen him in the pasture, but he was huge! And there was no way I was going to be allowed to ride him. But one day, I showed up, Harold passed me a halter, and told me to go get the big paint from the field. I walked over and brought him back, and got saddled up. Storm was amazing! He was the sweetest horse, that wanted to do anything he could to please you. I loved him! A week or two after that, Harold had a new horse saddled up for me. This was unusual because he usually got me to saddle up the horse I was riding. He made me do everything actually. Get the horse, groom the horse, tack-up the horse, ride the horse (lol), un-tack the horse, groom the horse, put the horse away. I didn't mind though, I loved learning, and wanted to learn everything I could about horses. This new horse was a small mare named Janice. At first, I hated her! She wouldn't listen, and you had to be aware of everything you were doing, all the time. I just wanted to go back to easy going Quinn. Eventually though, as I rode her more and more, and we spent some time together. We grew to trust each other and I began to love her. Sure she had some flaws, I mean, when you wouldn't let her go faster, she would give little crow-hops. An she hated to be left behind. If we were out on a trail, and Harold began to pull ahead, she would make sure we caught up. I had to work with her on that though. Sometimes we would stop to look at something. And the minute Harold and Storm started to walk away, she would follow, Before I could even think of telling her to. I would stop her, and make her wait, until she stopped fighting me, and I signaled her to go forwards. One time, Harold decided to canter up a hill. Well, Janice decided that since Storm's strides were so much longer than hers, she needed to go faster to catch up with him. Halfway up the hill, she bolted forwards, and began to gallop up the hill, chasing Storm. I was caught off guard, and I lost my right stirrup. I began to slip off to the left. Luckily, I was able to grab the saddle horn, and pull myself back on and wasn't hurt. Janice, didn't even notice I was doing anything, she just kept running! When we got back to the ranch, I dismounted and began to tell Harold about how I had almost fallen off. He just laughed and said "I wish I had seen that!" He was a great teacher, and pushed me just enough. He wouldn't tell me everything, instead he let me figure things out on my own. He was definitely not shy, and that year, Halloween happened to fall on a Wednesday. That was when I was taking my lessons, After our lesson, he asked me what I was doing for Halloween, I told him that I was going over to a friends house after I was done, and was going to go trick-or-treating with her. He instantly told me that his favorite candy are the little chocolate bars. That year, I saved all of my little chocolate bars, and gave them to him the next week. He loved them, and ate most of them as he taught my lesson. He was such a sweet old guy, but didn't let me get away with anything. He could be talking to my mom, about anything, and I would be trotting around the arena, and then all of a sudden, he yells "Heels down!" I could never remember to keep my heels down, but he made sure I remembered! By the end, he said I was becoming a very good rider, and was talking about showing this year. Due to Covid, I have been unable to continue with lessons, because he is older, and my mom doesn't want me getting him sick. I do still love all of the horses, and will remember them for the rest of my life. Even the little things remind me of them. Like, this Halloween, I actually ate my chocolate bars, and that made me miss seeing them every week. The other day, I was outside in my Cowboy boots in -6 degree weather, and my feet were so cold. It reminded me of riding, because my feet were always cold. Because we rode outside, and my boots didn't fit another pair of socks! I really miss riding, and I hope that I will be able to continue again soon.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Hey every body! Someone just contacted me about Timmy! They are sending a deposit tomorrow for him! They sound super excited to meet him! They can't come pick him up right now due to Covid, but when they are able to, they will come down for him. That is nice, because then I will get a little extra time with the little guy before he gets sold :( I really love him a lot.
I also brought the tape out to measure Tim today, and he is 34 inches!! I totally thought he was way smaller than that compared to the girls. I was told they were 37 and 38 inches, but they won't stand for the tape, so I have no idea how tall they actually are. It would make sense though that they should be taller. Which means they are probably small standards, not minis. Good to know, I will have to look to buy another male that is a small standard. I am pretty sure the girls are bred though. I mean, they have packed on a lot of weight, and Tim isn't showing any interest in them at all. Now, they could just not be cycling, but, who knows?! Right now, I need to focus on saving all the money I can for a horse. Tim will pay of the money I owe my dad for the donkeys. And then the rest of my money will be saved away until next August.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts