The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Change it up, just do lots of different things all the time, serpentines, circles, Uturns, stops, backs..... Just throw in lots of different things to keep him guessing.

·
Registered
356 Posts
What are you doing when you work with him? Ground work, riding? What type of area are you in? Is there anything in particular that he gets distracted by the most?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All ground work. Right now I'm mostly leading, although I'm going to introduce lunging an a week or so. I work in the pasture... it's the only place available. He's distracted mostly the goats bawling for attention, but also cars and other sounds.

·
Registered
697 Posts
When my horses (or my instructors horses) do this, I'm told to just bring their attention to you. If your riding and the horses head goes off looking at something - take your rein (opposite of the way hes looking) and bump it back to you. If your on the ground do the same thing. Just bump his nose back to where it should be. It may take a while, but he will get it. He should learn, even if hes board he needs to pay attention to you.....This is just what I was taught to do:)

·
Registered
958 Posts
I have the same problem. My mare is a little afraid of loud plastic above her head, so when she starts looking off, I take out this LONG piece of heavy, noisy plastic and flap it around. It gets her attention-- for now, anyway. I figure, either I get her attention, or she'll get totally bored by the plastic -- a win-win situation.:)

·
Registered
697 Posts
^^^but then wouldn't her attention be on the plastic bag...still not you?? Not sure, just a thought....

·
Registered
958 Posts
Ha ha, yes it is, but she knows it's me, I'm holding it, and she watches very closely at what I'm doing. That's what I want, just for her to watch me instead of the traffic. So I make a deal of folding it back up, sometimes stroke her neck with the wad, before stuffing it back into my pocket, then carry on with what we were doing. She keeps her attention on me...for awhile. I really try to keep it interesting, but right now she's still recuperating from her operation, so it's slow stuff.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.