The Horse Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
My Pony is halfinger size/shaped. He could go through a 40-pound bag of feed in an hour, I bet.

But seriously, if your horse is an easy keeper they probably don't need supplemental feed. Hay and forage should be enough. Plus a ration balancer if needed.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Easy keeper and how! Mitch is currently rockin around in his "fat girth" mostly because of the extra hair fluff, but I also don't ride him as hard as I do during the rest of the year (walk trot canter whereas he only walks mostly in the winter because I've been too lazy to body clip him)

He'd go through a 40 lb bag of feed like that. Which is why I don't give him any. He gets less than a pound a day of soaked grass hay pellets as the base for his pelleted multivitamin supplement. I like Horse Guard. 2 oz a day.

·
Super Moderator
14,686 Posts
You feed all horse feed of feed/grain and or hay by weight, not volume.
Depending upon brand and style of food fed will also dictate how long your product will last.
If, if you have a easy keeper who only needs a pound of product a day in feed/grain or ration balancer {aka vitamin/mineral supplement} then it will last far longer than the animal that needs 5 pounds of feed/grain or ration balancer a day.
You must feed to the animals needs, not feed to a stereotype of "easy or hard keeper" ...every animal is a individual and needs fed that way too.
🐴...

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Good quality hay and a vit/min. Easy keeper doesn't need grain. Actually ration balancer could also be to many calories for an easy keeper.

Horse tech has good vit/mins without the added calories. On average a forty pound bag of feed ,last my two horses 5 days when in hard work.

Not grain alfalfa pellets my horses are on forage based diets. I feed no commercial feeds haven't for almost two years.

Right now mine get a couple handfuls of alfalfa pellets with a vit/min.

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
"Feed"? Nothing like specific enough. Take a photo of the label and post it here.
Most Haflingers shouldn't be getting much of anything out of a bag except vitamins and minerals. Just hay or graze.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I am from a Texas ranch. Whats the deal now with companies selling feed in 40 lb sacks? And for the same price as 50 lb sacks once sold for I notice. Have people just become so weak and wimpy they can't transfer 50 lb sacks to their truck?

·
Registered
165 Posts
It’s happening with many things. Groceries have been doing that change a couple years now.
It’s a way to raise the price without “raising the price”.
If your 50 lbs jumped from $30 to $36 people are certain to notice and complain a bit. People are less likely to notice the weight change.
Although 10lbs of feed is a bigger change than two ounces of cookies it’s the same practice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts