The Horse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just met with a lady about some horses that she has for lease. I can't really afford to do a full lease (I'm a soon to be college student who is basically broke) but she is letting me ride for $20 a ride (assuming that someone with a full lease isn't riding at the time), and I can also come out and just groom and work with them in the round pen if I want. The barn is less than 10 minutes from my house, and the lady is there pretty often, so I'll probably be able to go down there often too.

I'm pretty darn excited, to say the least. I mostly was just working with her gray gelding, Bobby, today (couldn't ride, since it's pretty windy today), and he is sooo chill. I'm pretty fond of him already :D. I hope that this works out as it seems to be, because it sounds like a really good thing for me.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I just met with a lady about some horses that she has for lease. I can't really afford to do a full lease (I'm a soon to be college student who is basically broke) but she is letting me ride for $20 a ride (assuming that someone with a full lease isn't riding at the time), and I can also come out and just groom and work with them in the round pen if I want. The barn is less than 10 minutes from my house, and the lady is there pretty often, so I'll probably be able to go down there often too.

I'm pretty darn excited, to say the least. I mostly was just working with her gray gelding, Bobby, today (couldn't ride, since it's pretty windy today), and he is sooo chill. I'm pretty fond of him already :D. I hope that this works out as it seems to be, because it sounds like a really good thing for me.
That sounds great, but have you looked around for someone who wants an "exercise rider" or someone to keep their horses in shape? Last year I posted on craigslist that I was looking to exercise horses near me for free, and got about 20 responses and got to pick the best fit for me - no money involved!

·
Registered
346 Posts
that's pretty cool! It's going to be fun! ( I am just getting into my first lease as well)

I am glad you found a way to be able to ride and work with horses around your budget! Have a blast!

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
umm... If I had a full lease on a horse, and found out someone else was riding the horse, I would be really really p-off . A Full Lease no one else is allowed to ride that horse unless the leesee allows it. If I had a horse out on a full lease and found someone other than the leesee was riding the horse, the lease would be pulled, cancelled.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
aharlov, I hadn't considered looking for someone who needed an exercise rider. I'll check it out.

stevenson, I may have misspoke when I said full lease, but in any case, I don't know really what to expect from typical leases on horses, but it doesn't seem like that big a deal to me. It's entirely up to the owner what they do with their horse; if they want to ride it, or let others ride it, that's their choice. I'm sure that the owner would let any lessees know that I would be riding too. Of course, I have no experience with any of this, so what do I know?

·
Registered
95 Posts
BKLD, a full lease is usually like renting a house. The owner is still responsible for the cost of maintenance (vet, farrier, etc) but the horse is only ridden by the lessee. Similar to a rented house, the owner can't just let anyone around whenever the renter isn't home.

On a half lease, however, lessees pay to ride certain days/times only, usually with the understanding that other days the horse will be ridden by other people. That may be what your Barn Manager has going. If not, she/he may have some ticked off lessees pretty soon!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, gotcha. That makes sense. I'm sorry, I obviously don't know the legalities or common courtesies of leasing as well as I should. I'll talk with the owner and confirm the situation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts