The Horse Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Administrator
35,952 Posts
There are a lot of things in life that shouldn't happen. But they do. There is no 'magic age' where everybody is suddenly a rational adult. Just look at the world around you. In a perfect world there would be.

:gallop:
I think we all know that - which is why groups like the FEI have rules in place to protect horses from people having temper tantrums and taking it out on their horses - its also about doing everything they can to not bring their sport into disrepute - sure its not always working the way it should and the rules do need looking at to be careful they're able to be interpreted properly but without any rules it would be a downhill slide
I don't think there's any court of law situation where someone can put in a plea of 'well I just lost my temper' and get away with a crime

GH
I would think that using pain meds - for one example of drugs
To mask an injury that needs time and rest to heal so someone can continue riding/working a horse is abuse
but
To help a horse stay active when that's better for the horse's well being is not abuse - though with something like wear and tear arthritis you still have to weigh up beneficial exercise against the sort of exercise that could aggravate and accelerate the condition

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
A fair unbiased application of the rules is called for, but not a witch-hunt, ban for life, animal abuse charges, etc. Dealt with at the time and not on and ever after.

I agree, except to add a word "Dealt with at the appropriate time....".

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
I agree, except to add a word "Dealt with at the appropriate time....".
Is that not what happened?

Even when some well known trainer, tried to by pass the drug rules, unaware that the 'new' drug he was using, was already incorporated into that drug test, he just lost his World titles on those horses that tested positive and had membership with the ApHC suspended for a certain time interval.

The only witch hunt is happening on the public media, and in this day and age where everyone carries a cell phone, these types of videos will continue to appear, and not just horse related.
However, how did the governing body react, as to any disciplinary actions ? That is the crux of the matter
You are confusing public opinion, , what constitutes abuse outside of any regulated show venues, with how that governing body enforces their policy, fairly, impartially, ACCORDING TO THE RULES .

·
Administrator
35,952 Posts
Exactly that
Regardless of what the public says the decision will be made by the FEI on this matter - though public opinion does matter and many times has changed the way things are done in the future.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Jaydee, I think we are agreeing in a round about way.

Just because FEI didn't make its responses public, does not mean they did not respond.

As Smilie says, the witch hunt is on public media.

- though public opinion does matter and many times has changed the way things are done in the future.
The very real danger with this is that decisions are then ultimately made by the uninformed - is this what we really want? Because every man and his dog can see one incident and judge whole industries by it, demand their demise, but not even have to know anything about that industry.

If you think that can't happen, take a closer look at what happened to foxhunting.

:gallop:

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
You are confusing public opinion, , what constitutes abuse outside of any regulated show venues, with how that governing body enforces their policy, fairly, impartially, ACCORDING TO THE RULES .
I am hardly confused smilie. You misunderstood my post. Don't write in capital letters, it is rude.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Exactly that
Regardless of what the public says the decision will be made by the FEI on this matter - though public opinion does matter and many times has changed the way things are done in the future.
Public opinion/social media put the pressure on this incident:

5-6 ago a rider whacked his horse for refusing the water in the International ring in a Grand Prix at WEF. But the rider didn't just whack him, he hit him over and over, hit him going away from the jump and back towards the jump. It was ugly and he was well over the 3 hit rule. There was a huge crowd watching that night. I believe there was also live streaming.

Nothing was said to the rider at the time, but video of the incident was all over social media. Because of pressure, the FEI finally did take the correct action, and suspended the rider for 3 months, issued a yellow card with retroactive disqualification, and charged a hefty fine. An investigation into the role of the Ground Jury showed that the rider should have been eliminated immediately. The Ground Jury members were reprimanded by official letters.

The public will know if a decision is made, it is published on their website.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts