The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
I live near Show Low, Arizona. I'm not as familiar with St. Johns, but I think it's more prairie-like than we are. One thing I would warn you about, although I LOVE this area, is we are in an incredible drought and this past winter has been super dry. We are all worried about forest fires.

We had to evacuate during the the huge Rodeo/Chediski Fire about 17 years ago and there have been several big fires in the general area since. So it is not just a hypothetical problem, it's a real one. Also, some of our trees are giving up the ghost, even though we've had them thinned more than once. And you might be able to pick a particular tree or two to water, but you can't water acreage. So we have quite a few dying trees. :frown_color:

On the plus side, we are very near national forest and have unlimited riding! Some of our neighbors even border the forest, so you can ride right out your back door. It's beautiful up here, and I love it. But we think about forest fires every year now, and especially after such a dry winter.

You might want to double check that the St. John's area has actual trees. They may be just scrub juniper. Although the way the pine trees are dying, that may be the only thing left standing after a while.

PS. I read somewhere that the reason it is called the "White Mountains" isn't for the snow, it's because of the smoke from the fires that burned through every summer. Now way back when, that wasn't such a big deal because there was moisture and the fires burned the grass and brush and not the actual trees. But it isn't that way anymore. Now the fires can be catastrophic. But yes, it's gorgeous here with lots of riding. And I suspect most of the West in a severe drought, not just us.

PSS. Dreamcatcher, I don't think Show Low is super expensive compared to the rest of Arizona. There are definitely some expensive homes and properties here, but compared with the rest of Arizona, it's not as bad, especially for the more rural areas. We used to live in Phoenix and we couldn't afford horse property there. Especially not anything over an acre. We moved to a rural area outside Show Low and now we have horse property. But that was also 20 some years ago, things always go up. But compared to the Phoenix area, land is cheaper up here, especially rural with no amenities.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.