The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it my imagination, or is this site getting fuller with ads every time I look? It's really getting very annoying. Is there some setting I can change to see less rubbish? I already have ad blockers...

·
Super Moderator
13,881 Posts
If you are running a ad blocker and seeing ads chances are the blocker needs reset for this site.
I run a ad blocker...
I have no ads seen on my page normally.
If I do, I pull down my blocker and report a issue and highlight what is happening and when I refresh the page the ads are no more...
Sounds to me your program is not working properly...look there first for a solution on your computer/device.
:runninghorse2:...

·
Administrator
35,831 Posts
I have one ad running along the top of this page. Nothing more than usual

·
Super Moderator
16,046 Posts
I do not get a lot of ads BUT, what I am getting is a so called competition from mkipserver.co. which comes in a box, click on the x to dismiss it and it takes you to a web page with a spinning wheel. No matter what I do, which means deleting the page, I then reload HF only to go through the process again and again.

The only way I have been able to write this is because I opened another page about their cookie policy and related HF onto that one with the original competition page waiting for me to jump for joy because I might have won an iPhone.

I cannot get their IP addy as it will not select all and copy on my iPad. (Only for that site)

It occurred several weeks ago for a day or two and is back again now. A right pain upmthe jacksey

·
Banned
2,431 Posts
This raises a philosophical question: Isn't the purpose of ads to create a positive brand association in the consumer? This is like walking up to a stranger, poking them in the chest, and asking them, "Do you want to be my friend?"

In any case: desktop computer, chrome browser, "AdBlock" extension -- no ads.

In general, I don't mind seeing relevant ads. I even "liked" companies like "Shires" and "Ariat" on Facebook, so I'm basically inviting them to advertise to me --- and I enjoy looking at their ads. However, the entities that purchase ad space on HF confuse "ads" with "scams."

·
Super Moderator
13,881 Posts
foxhunter...
If you can screenshot and send the annoying ad to tech they might be able to do something about it.
There are certain ads that are truly problematic and HF will send tech to rid the site of them...
I think they need the www. address so they can do their thing...

·
Super Moderator
23,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have ads in the top bar(herbs for dementia today - thought someone told me they were meant to be relevant to me - at least I haven't seen Asian girls or penis enlargements lately!), side bar chockers & then sometimes I get a bucketful of large picture ads below too - yeah mm, not getting any positive brand associations from me!

Oh and Grammarly - that's popping up everywhere - if I was every wanting a service like that, thanks to their ads, I'd go look for their competition!

I use Firefox browser, not Chrome, but will look into a different ad blocker. And Fox, that to me sounds more shifty than just advertising - I'd think about getting onto your virus/spyware for support on that one.

·
Registered
14,153 Posts
Ads keep this site going. Sometimes I actually click on the ads.

Reactions: jaydee and bsms

·
Premium Member
12,703 Posts
Without ads, you may someday click on the site and see "website not found". I usually get one boring ad at the top & nothing else.

·
Administrator
35,831 Posts
Ads keep this site going. Sometimes I actually click on the ads.
Without ads, you may someday click on the site and see "website not found". I usually get one boring ad at the top & nothing else.
YES!

It’s the advertising that pays the wages of the many people who work behind the scenes here and make it worthwhile for companies like Vertical Scope to own forums.
They don’t do it for the fun of it!

·
Registered
294 Posts
I don't use an adblocker per se but I use a script blocker (currently Privacy Badger from the EFF) because I don't want to be tracked (to the extent I can avoid it) and that blocker seems to have the same effect - I see no ads on this site. I wouldn't mind seeing (non-video, non-popup) ads - I do actually feel guilty blocking them all for the reason Jaydee gives - but without tracking.

·
Banned
2,431 Posts
YES!

It’s the advertising that pays the wages of the many people who work behind the scenes here and make it worthwhile for companies like Vertical Scope to own forums.
They don’t do it for the fun of it!
But if the ads degrade the experience of using the website to an extend that one would rather not go there, it makes no difference. I absolutely cannot watch movies with a 10-minute commercial interruption every 15 minutes, which is why I don't watch the "cable channel" medium anymore. (Those are even worse because you have to give them money for the privilege of becoming aggravated, so they don't get money anymore either.)

If a company wants to profit from a forum, they have to figure out how to make it work for everybody. Nobody wins when this is not a "safe space" and people think, "Oh, probably another scam. Best not click on that!" (No, you didn't win a free iPod. Nothing is ever free. And epilepsy-inducing blinking ads in an obnoxiously fluttering window, or pop-ups obstructing my view, don't change that.)

They need to remember that people want to buy, but they don't want to be sold.

·
Premium Member
12,703 Posts
I've gone the last year on HF without ad blocking. I haven't had any pop-up videos, which is why I refuse to disable my ad blocker on many sites. I also haven't had ads crowd out the text and photos I come here for, unlike a number of news sites - CNN, Fox News, Daily Mail....

I use Pale Moon, based on an older version of Firefox, and haven't had a problem here. Thankfully. I also use the "classic" HF format. Don't know if that makes a difference.

I used to enjoy reading - rarely posting, but reading - a website run by Horse Grooming Supplies. Some months back, I opened it...and it didn't open. Gone. Many regulars had thousands of posts and people whose riding they followed and it all disappeared. No warning that I saw & I visited it 4-5 times a month. And IIRC, at one time it was the largest online forum for horses.

·
Administrator
35,831 Posts
But if the ads degrade the experience of using the website to an extend that one would rather not go there, it makes no difference. I absolutely cannot watch movies with a 10-minute commercial interruption every 15 minutes, which is why I don't watch the "cable channel" medium anymore. (Those are even worse because you have to give them money for the privilege of becoming aggravated, so they don't get money anymore either.)

If a company wants to profit from a forum, they have to figure out how to make it work for everybody. Nobody wins when this is not a "safe space" and people think, "Oh, probably another scam. Best not click on that!" (No, you didn't win a free iPod. Nothing is ever free. And epilepsy-inducing blinking ads in an obnoxiously fluttering window, or pop-ups obstructing my view, don't change that.)

They need to remember that people want to buy, but they don't want to be sold.
Why are you getting all these huge distracting ads and others aren't?
Nothing appears on my screen that I can't easily ignore

You'll struggle to find a forum of this size that doesn't have as many ads on it, some have more. The smaller start up forums that have less all want to make money and will strive to get more advertising

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Ads are one thing. Ads that make it so annoying to use the site or redirect me to the spinning wheel or 'congratulations, you won an iphone' make me not use the site. I won't look at HF on my phone or tablet because of it. Desktop computers only, or it's not worth it. When you can't even open a thread without a popup you can't get out of appearing, you aren't going to sell anything because people give up and move on to another site.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts