The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, my mare has arthritis in one lower part leg (ankle) and iv brought some bandages that iv been told can help suport the pressure when i ride- is this true? (she also has laminitis- problem with hoves so she cant have metal shoes) could it do damage or over heat? i live in spain so the weather is hot) the bandages are elastic with soft material for the first part. can some one help me ive never used them before. here is a link with a photo of the product Producto

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Short answer - no.

Bandages, boots etc. do very little, if anything at all, to support a horse's limbs. They prevent knocks and scrapes, thats about it.
When you have 500kg+ suspended on 4 skinny, delicate legs, a piece of elasticised fabric is not going to support much. And if it does, it would have to be wrapped so tightly that movement in the joint would be restricted, as would blood flow.
If you REALLY want to wrap legs, you can, for your own piece of mind - but it won't be doing your horse a lot of good.

I'd invest in a pair of magnetic boots that your horse can wear overnight, I have seen some very good results with these.
On top of that, look at some joint supplements that can be added both to the horse's feed, and/or injected by your vet.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.