Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:p

On Friday morning, too early to say goodbye, I will be boarding a plane for my trip. The first leg of the trip is a brutal flight from Atlanta all the way to Seoul South Korea. OUCH!! Then on to Bali for two days. Then I will be spending a week diving on the island of Ambon.

Maluku Divers Resort, Diving Ambon

Then we will fly to the southwest coast of West Papua. We will board a sailing/motor vessel belonging to Dive Damai

We will be island hopping down a chain of islands that, to any one's knowledge, has never been dived before. We have no idea WHAT we might find. Hopefully, some of the best diving in the world!! We will end up on the island of Timor.

We'll then begin the long ordeal of flying home. I'm sure a big trip report with lots of photos will be in order. Keep your fingers crossed that all goes well.

I will be gone from Dec 8th until Jan 8th (actually, we'll be back just before the eighth). I WILL miss all the fun here, but trust you guys will keep everything ship-shape.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Sounds like a trip of a lifetime!! I'm going to suggest to the Admin that if you don't post a thread with at least 20 pictures by Jan. 9th you should be permenantly banned then tracked down and publicly flogged!

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
ahh that sounds so cool!im sooo jealous right now, i have to stay up in snowy canada... maybe on your way you could stop by and pick me up? i promise i don't eat that much or complain... that much.

have fun!!!!! i agree with kevin, we need TONS of pictures!!!!!

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Wow Allison! I am also envious but since I don't dive...well...I cannot be that envious. But I would go on that trip just to lay about in the sun and read.

Have a fantastic time, be safe and take many many photos!

·
Registered
11,953 Posts
I'm liking Kevin's suggestion.

Hope you have a fantastic time Allison. LOTS of pics are expected!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I'm going to suggest to the Admin that if you don't post a thread with at least 20 pictures by Jan. 9th you should be permenantly banned then tracked down and publicly flogged!

Hmmmm.....naw, I won't go there....

Trust me,
I will be coming back with literally thousands of photos. Underwater photography is a main reason for going.

For a sample of my work....go to;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/allisonfinch/sets/

·
Banned
4,289 Posts
Interesting trip. Be prudent... I'm not aware of any specific problems on Ambon, but there is a lot of Muslim terrorism in Indonesia. Some significant actions happened on Ambon in WWII...don't know if they have any museums there, but I would think so...

·
Registered
15,433 Posts
Dammit you can't go now, I need you:wink:

OK seriously if you are coming up by this way to pick up ridergirl I'm going to hitch my sleigh onto the convoy and head out with you all:D

Have a great great time, that all sounds amazing, apart from the flight from Atlanta to Seoul, how long does that one take??

·
Registered
11,953 Posts
Thanks for sharing your albums Allison, wonderful photos! Plan to show them to my little monster, she'll be fascinated!

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Hey - since you are flying out of Atlanta you will be going right by my farm - stop in for a cup of coffee ... or a shot of scotch. I haven't been diving for 20 years and I'm jealous.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Allison - take care not to deep dive on the day before you fly

As for the best diving in the world - well there's a lots of spots to look up
Try some of my favourites:
Malta in the Med. - the Blue Grotto is unbelievably blue
Dubrovnik in the Adriatic - the water is deep and crystal clear.
Jamaica - out on the drop off to the bottom of the Ocean - awesome
The Bahamas - shallow water but absolutely stunning.
and if you are up to some cold, dark, green tidal water then:
Cornwall UK - clear, tidal water on the Eastern edge of the Atlantic -
fish, lobsters, wrecks and waves.
The English Channel from Chichester westwards - cold, tidal water but
so many wrecks and a constant battle with the currents. Fun.
Scapa Flow, The Orkneys where the Germans scuttled their WW1 battle
fleet. Deep green clear water and Ghostly ships
Off the Normandy Beaches - where the Allies landed. Go find a tank.

(and to think I gave up diving to ride horses with the idea that horse riding was safer).

Enjoy your trip and tell us all about it so that we can dream and reminisce.

B G

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Allison - take care not to deep dive on the day before you fly
You're right. Luckily, I get to take a month diving every year. I mostly go somewhere in the Asian/Pacific regions. I spend more time in PNG than anywhere else.

As for the best diving in the world - well there's a lots of spots to look up
Try some of my favourites:
Malta in the Med. - the Blue Grotto is unbelievably blue

Never been to Malta. I may have to check into that. I do, however, have one criteria necessary for my diving.....WARM WATER! Mediterranean diving skates on the edge of too cool. I like water in the 80'sF.

Dubrovnik in the Adriatic - the water is deep and crystal clear.

Never been there, either.

Jamaica - out on the drop off to the bottom of the Ocean - awesome

The closest I've been to Jamaica is almost everywhere else in the Caribbean. From both Virgin Islands all the way to Bonaire.

The Bahamas - shallow water but absolutely stunning.

I was born and raised in Florida, so been all over the Bahamas.

and if you are up to some cold, dark, green tidal water then:
Cornwall UK - clear, tidal water on the Eastern edge of the Atlantic -
fish, lobsters, wrecks and waves.
The English Channel from Chichester westwards - cold, tidal water but
so many wrecks and a constant battle with the currents. Fun.
Scapa Flow, The Orkneys where the Germans scuttled their WW1 battle
fleet. Deep green clear water and Ghostly ships
Off the Normandy Beaches - where the Allies landed. Go find a tank.

No No No No!!! Totally violates the warm water rule. Not gonna happen! I would love diving the wrecks in Scapa...but HECK no!

(and to think I gave up diving to ride horses with the idea that horse riding was safer).

Hey, why not do both? It can be done!

Enjoy your trip and tell us all about it so that we can dream and reminisce.

B G
I've been certified since 1970 and have been really lucky in my diving. While NC has some of the best wreck diving in the world, it is difficult to get nice diving conditions. The water can be clear, but those big waves.....

Last week this guy was filmed off of our coast

This video has strong words, so turn volume down!!

·
Registered
11,953 Posts
Eeek! That guy would be enough to keep me out of the water!

Showed your pics to Morgan last night, she loved it. Lots of "What's that thing?" lol! Dan & I snorkeled in Belize and it was stunning even in the shallows. I'd love to get certified someday and go back to dive it.

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You know, diving is a great family activity. Too bad is is a bit expensive. About that shark, I have to admit that if I were there with my camera...I might have eased myself in the water for some shots. In my many years of diving, I have found sharks to be curious, but ultimately fearful of people. We try to approach them all the time, only to have them flee. The hollywood sharks we see on film have all been hyped up with hours of throwing "chum" in the water.

This is kind of like throwing a Big Mack hamburger into a room with hungry college frat boys....feeding frenzy!!

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Allison - dive and ride - well for a brief period I did but that was a long time ago.

Now Olde Father Tyme has caught up - especially since my back yard pool is the English Channel. I've lost the lung capacity and the fitness.

But what I can say is that some of the best memories of my life (and near death) were over 100 feet down in cold salt water. The memory of one very special dive was 210 feet down on a 1917 FWW wreck outside Plymouth Harbour.

But then I'd have to think about when I galloped along the beach at Cape Trafalgar on a fabulous Andalucian or went fox hunting with the Brecon Beacons Hunt on my favourite horse of all time - William.

But at my age, its the lick from my Rottweiler or a nudge from my Irish Draught mare that gives me a buzz. The rest is all memory.

Do it Alli - but don't miss out on Scapa Flow - just get yourself a drysuit and try not to have to sail across the Pentland Firth in anything but a very big ferry.
PS there are no Great Whites this side of the Atlantic.

Thanks, You've brought back a few memories and I haven't even left my chair.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.