The Horse Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!
I’m looking for some help/opinions on pricing for a horse I’m looking to purchase for one of my students.

she’s a WB mare with loads of experience at the 1m jumpers. Excellent confirmation and bloodlines, as far as I know has never foaled (not a brood mare). She’s sound and has a ton of energy. Having said that - she’s a 2002 model (21 this year). My student is hesitant to purchase because of her age. In the past year we’ve had her on lease - her only issue was a slight muscle pull.

Since lockdown in my area (Canada) we’ve seen prices for purchase and lease skyrocket - owning or leasing a horse is one of the only ways to ensure access to the barn right now.

Please tell me about your senior jumpers, my student has kept her WAY lower than her skill level this past year and I’m wondering how many realistic years we have left. I’m trying to justify a very low 5 figure price - is that reasonable? Am I crazy?!

thanks friends!
9ED26A13-D58C-483B-A8CF-59EEB2D4E85B.png

·
Super Moderator
12,885 Posts
I'd continue with a lease before purchase with a sale price in the 5 figures at this point if this rider is serious about progressing. She may well stay sound and serviceable for several more years but she won't be long term and even stellar breeding and conformation the path of a second use has narrowed to the point of not probable. Now if this is a rider that wants to continue where at level wise and truly enjoys riding this horse with no looking for rising higher then if she can afford it and they are a good fit I'd suggest it. Have there been considerations of what happens at retirement for this mare? As that time will come sooner rather than later. 10 years of continuing on this path I can see but more likely is a gradual slowing. Will this person as an owner consider that an issue? What of accident or injury at this age? Would rehab be feasible or affordable at this age?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts