The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had Casey now for five years and I am starting to think she might be better off with someone else. I got Candy 1.5 years or so ago, and Casey and I are sort of growing apart. We get along great and I love her on the ground, but under saddle we don't get along so great. Part of me is thinking it might be because I am not riding her as much- every two weeks. Of course, riding isn't everything, but I would like Casey to have a home with someone who can ride her on the trails and enjoy her. She is older, 15, and smaller, 14 hands. Unfortunately, she is small and feisty. And pretty much hates arena work. She goes nuts, trying to gallop around and buck. I know her, and I can handle her in the arena, she hasn't done even a fun crow-hop with me for a year or so, and rarely tries much with me. She tests (she's a mare!). She will weave back and forth with you on the trail, and if you let her get away with it she will go further, getting strong at the trot, and just acting funny, and eventually taking off and bucking. If she was worked with in the arena she would be fine in the arena, but she really just doesn't like arena work.

Soo, I don't know what I should do. I currently keep my horses at home on my smaller acreage, but I am hoping to move onto a much much bigger place (175 acres to be exact). It is all woods, but we would clear a spot for a house and some pasture, but there would be lots of space for trail riding. Hopefully I would get in lots more trail riding, so Casey and I could do lots of trail riding. I will know by Friday night - two days. I just don't know if I should (even could) find her a great home or keep her.... If I sold Casey, I could afford to board Candy at a boarding place so I could actually ride almost every day in an arena! What do you all think? I will keep Casey for a while, at least till summer time.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Problem is with her size she would probably only attract buyers interested in a kids horse, which she definately does not sound like. If you are looking to sell her, the first thing to do is ride her, and ride her often, so you can get her as broke as possible before people come out to ride. And I agree with keeping her until summer - winter sales are few and far between as most don't want to feed through winter...

Reactions: RedAce

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ace! I mainly live in an area where people mainly just ride on trails, although I will make that very clear in her ad. I would want someone to lease/test her out for a month or two.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
If that is the market, then get her out on the trails as much as you can - a horse that is getting used currently will be worth more than one that has been sitting.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would totally get her ready. Maybe I will find a long term lease person for her. Also I didn't mention that money is pretty tight, and I would totally keep Casey if I had the money to just "throw around." Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
You say you are getting a place with land and trails. If you could find someone who would be willing to lease her from you, then you could have your horses at home and also a riding companion who would help with the cost. Perhaps if this person really like her they might end up buying her

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You say you are getting a place with land and trails. If you could find someone who would be willing to lease her from you, then you could have your horses at home and also a riding companion who would help with the cost. Perhaps if this person really like her they might end up buying her
If I found a leasee for Casey, I would board Candy most likely. I would rather board and have an arena than keep Candy at home- I would bring her home a couple times a week to trail ride. Thanks for the advice! I would love to lease Casey out to someone until I go away to college then sell her to them if they really liked her.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.