The Horse Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently tried these glue on shoes for my horse who has shivers in his forelimbs and needs sedation to be shod. My hope in trying these for him is because they require less time with his hoof in the air and avoid the hammering of the nails, which can be difficult for him.
they were holding up great until this week when I noticed they had started to crack. I’ve known others to use these shoes before with no known issues.
has anyone experienced this issue with this particular type of shoe?

·
Premium Member
23,899 Posts
Hi, some plastics are better than others & don't know which type this is, but yeah, they're generally much better for the horse than conventional steel rims.

You say you've just noticed it cracking - can't see any obvious cracking around the shoe, so think you're talking the crack just above the side 'clip'. That's been there for some time, but perhaps it's only just opened up & become more obvious/bigger. Can't tell much from that pic, but I'm guessing that bit is flared/disconnected & there's infection in it, perhaps originally from nail holes.

So, I wouldn't be thinking it's desperate for urgent attention, but at the back it looks to be near ground level so will soon be loose there & I wouldn't leave them to get at all overgrown, but organise to have them well trimmed within a few weeks, and that area - at least the back of it & any infection - cut back/cleaned out & free from extra ground pressure until it grows out. Infection should also be treated topically by you, with a broad spectrum antiseptic, but it's unlikely to 'cut it' without it being opened up a bit & cleaned out too.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts