The Horse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a mare she 5 yrs. about 16.2 Hanoverian I'm looking for a feed supplement to help her to bulk up or fill out better gain a few without making her hot cause she already a little nutty! she on a good grain and hay all day long grass and is ridden 4-5 times a week and shows twice a month at minimum any suggestions?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Alfalfa pellets or cubes are good for adding cool calories. I prefer to soak them so that my horse won't choke(he bolts feed). Also beet pulp is good soaked aswell.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had good luck adding oil to my mare's diet. Soybean, canola (or a blend of those) or CocoSoya. Start out slow & increase over a week or two. You could also try a rice bran supplement.

·
Super Moderator
22,907 Posts
Hi,

What do you mean 'bulk her up'? Is she skinny? Lacking muscle? Sounds like she's not lacking energy. Need to know her condition & what the 'good grain' etc & how much. Could be she needs more fat, muscle, lower carb diet, better balanced nutrition...

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Assuming no medical or general nutrition problems, our simple general rules are:
- More high quality forage to add weight. Good forage is always the basis of a healthy horse diet.
- More protein and lots of work to add muscle. You cannot feed your way to adding muscle.

Reactions: loosie
1 - 5 of 5 Posts