The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a friend of mine wants to start jumping but told me someone told her that in order to jump at shows she has to do dressage and she HATES dressage .. I just wanted to know if its true cause I don't know a lot about shows :D
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
She probably should have a trainer to jump. It does NOT just "happen". And no, as far as I know you do not have to have dressage training.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
If she was getting into three day eventing, then she would have to do dressage as it is part of the testing system (ie dressage, cross country course, stadium jumping). Otherwise, everyone who jumps should have flat work experience and know how to ride a horse well on the flat before progressing to jumping - perhaps that is what the friend means.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
No, she doesn't "have to" do Dressage to jump. However, Dressage skills are useful for jumpers.

Your friend should find herself a trainer and set some goals. I hope she realizes that she can't just jump all the time and expect to be competitive without developing the building block skills.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.