The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My horse has never caused me any problems, he's very sweet friendly....but lately he has been taking my arm and putting his mouth around it and just gently rubbing his teeth on it, almost like massaging. But, when I go to pull my arm away he pulls back and it's almost like a gentle tug of war. He also rubs my face with his lips, doesn't use his teeth just his lips.....is this bad behavior that needs to be corrected before it gets bad, or is he just being affectionate?

I don't want to scold him for being affectionate or for just allogrooming me...what should I do?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
This needs to be stopped. It will lead to him biting!

His teeth need to NEVER touch you and lips should be nowhere near your face. It may be him grooming you but still not on. You are not a horse.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What other ways does will horses show affection to you besides allogrooming you...it's taken me a while to get this relationship with the horse, and I don't want to think showing affection is bad and that I don't want it. By the way, this usually happens when I've been grooming him everyday so IDK of this is just him showing mutual feelings.

Yeah I don't want him to bite. That won't be tolerated!

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
My 10 year old will place his head on my shoulder or under my arm/into my chest while I rub his ears and his face - he usually falls asleep! I have no problem with this as I have invited him to put a part of his body into my space. As long as he doesn't push, then I have no issue.
Basically, my rule of thumb is that the horse does NOT step into my space unless I invite him. Otherwise you're just asking for pushy behaviour. If my horses come in and demand I pat them, I'll ask them to move away from me.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, then I'll have him stop. So, how do you recommend stopping this behavior.

And my horse will also rest his head on my shoulder. But he doesn't like his head touched except for his cheek, so I try not to crowd his head too much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.