The Horse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi 🙋🏼‍♀️
My pony gave me a scare and had choke on Sunday, she passed the blockage by herself but was looking very depressed, she wasn’t eating or drinking and hadn’t passed any poo. Monday we went to the vets and was told she was fine, she had passed the blockage, carry on like normal but since she’s had it she it still coughing?! Is this normal? She is eating haylage, soup like feed and drinking plenty of water but every now and again she is coughing (no discharge tho), I have never had one with it before so I’ve no clue what’s normal or not!!
Thanks 🙏

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
When I've had horses choke, they didn't normally have issues with coughing afterward. Hopefully the vet gave her an antibiotic in case she aspirated because she could be at risk for developing pneumonia if anything got down into her lungs. I'd watch carefully for any discharge from her nose and report it immediately to the vet.

·
Registered
10,599 Posts
When I've had horses choke, they didn't normally have issues with coughing afterward. Hopefully the vet gave her an antibiotic in case she aspirated because she could be at risk for developing pneumonia if anything got down into her lungs. I'd watch carefully for any discharge from her nose and report it immediately to the vet.
This ^^^^

If the vet didn’t give you antibiotics, force the issue and make the vet give you something. I knew someone who lost her beloved Morgan to post-choke pneumonia because the vet took the blasé attitude the horse did not need antibiotics.

Reactions: Rebecca1999

·
Super Moderator
26,877 Posts
I agree with the antibiotics. There is a potential for getting fluids into the lungs when they choke. I wouldn't expect her to eat normally and feel perfect for a few days - her throat is probably a little sore and maybe even scratched. I also wouldn't be shocked if she doesn't do it again at some point.

Do you have any SMZs on hand? I would call and ask the vet if she could take some of those to be safe. They can tell you how many and how long...

·
Super Moderator
14,747 Posts
Everyone previously responding addressed antibiotics and the need to be cautious and treat in case...

My horse has also choked and it is not fun to watch and be so helpless till the blockage moves by them or by force from a vet...scary time it is.
So, after my horse choked the vet told me the dry matter that "stuck" when it moved scratched the esophagus and irritated the entire throat...
He said to expect coughing, stretching of the neck and elevating of the head with a twist motion for my guy....
To watch closely it is not again a choke cause once 1 happens, it is common it happens again...............
Today, at the vets strongly worded suggestion my horse eats a mushy food that can no longer expand in the throat when food particle meets saliva and expansion and choke occur.
In cold weather we use warmer water to hurry softening of the food..
In summer heat just tap water from the hose, wait about 10 minutes and food is ready.
The horse may look at you with ugly expressions at first but will get used to it and chow down all of it soon.
The added good is you know the horse just got that much more water so less chance of dehydration occurring.

A bit of adjustment for all to now feed the horse, but after a few days you won't remember it being different.
Wet feed, my horse eats slop wet...but he likes it like that, some horses like food dryer but the reason to wet is so it expands before it gets in the throat and create choke.
Good luck.
🐴....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts