The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm leaving for Florida Saturday, and (obviously) Rainy will be left up here. Well, I mentioned it to my friend who actually enjoys (or rather, isn't bothered by) riding Rainy, and she was apologetic, but knew she wouldn't be able to come out very often during the next week. The other girls who might be able to ride her more often have informed me that they are less than enthusiastic about riding her, and so, she'll have to be without work for a week. Does anyone have suggestions as to what to do when I come back? Getting on right away sounds like a terrible idea to me, so I was thinking lunging (w/t to start off, then adding in some ground poles and a 6 in cavaletti) to get out some of her energy, and then doing lots of circle work, serpentines, and such, bending and flexing, and then a trail ride to cool down if the weather's nice. Does that sound like a good plan, or is there something else I should do?

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the input! :) I mentioned lunging to the girls, but I don't want to force anyone into doing anything they aren't comfy with. I'm glad I at least have a decent plan, and that the work off won't kill her. ;) I know it's not too long, but she's awful when she goes more than a few days without being riden/lunged.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She's out all day when the weather's nice, but she doesn't really...play. She just sorta stands, as she's boss mare and doesn't *have* to play fight. :p She's only on 1/2 scoop of grain, once a day, so I might ask the owners to knock it down to like once every two days.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Sorrelhorse! :) If it were any other horse, I probably wouldn't be worried, but again, after two days of no exersize, she gets hyper and crabby and is no fun to deal with. :p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.