The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All right, let's give this a shot! I've been meaning to do this for a while, but with my parents being unable to understand the premise of a horse being square, photos have been difficult. None of these photos are 'perfect' confo pics, but they're pretty darn close! SO just make of them what you can, this is for curiousities sake.

Some background: 19y/o 16-16.1HH QH gelding. The majority of these photos are from March this year when I first started leasing him, and he feet were terrible. He also needed to gain some weight, and had very little muscle. The last photo is the most recent of the bunch, from May. FWIW I just plod with him :)

To test my own skills, I see: Ridiculously long back, undermuscled neck that ties in low, tied behind the knee, nice short cannons, and I can never decide is he's sickle hocked or bow legged, if either. Sometimes I think his hind end is a little unsubstantial, and his withers are kinda funky.

He's camped out in this one and leaning back slightly, but it's side on and relatively square.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
He is not tied in at the knee. In fact he has pretty good bone.

He stands over a lot of ground. He is long.. But not incorrect. His legs are too short. He is very post legged behind with inadequate angulation. From behind he is base wide but not truly bow legged.

His neck is thick based and a bit low set. His shoulder is steep.

With a little more angulation in that hind leg he really would not be all that bad. His body conformation is good and he has a strong topline. NOT a bad horse at all.. Legs are too short.

·
Registered
7 Posts
He is not tied in at the knee. In fact he has pretty good bone.

He stands over a lot of ground. He is long.. But not incorrect. His legs are too short. He is very post legged behind with inadequate angulation. From behind he is base wide but not truly bow legged.

His neck is thick based and a bit low set. His shoulder is steep.

With a little more angulation in that hind leg he really would not be all that bad. His body conformation is good and he has a strong topline. NOT a bad horse at all.. Legs are too short.
I agree with most all of this except for the parts regarding his shoulder being steep and him being post legged.

I actually think he has quite a nicely laid back shoulder. It only appears upright in the last photo because he is resting his weight on that leg.

His back legs, while they could be more angled, do not look post-y to me.

Overall, decent looking fellow. Looks built to stay sound which is probably why he is still being used at 19!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, seems I've been to harsh on him! Then again, my nick name for him is 'ugly butt', so I am a little mean to my darling boy.

He's a great horse - he's had a few lameness issues because of his feet, but other than that he's brilliant. Plus, he carries me with no troubled which is no mean feat!

I'm so glad his legs are short though - He's over 16HH as it is!

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
I have illustrated the shoulder...
Hind leg is camped out first photo and in the second photo you can see the limiting post legged-ness. Still not a bad horse.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
Its the oddest thing. We always considering long backs to be a terrible conformational flaw, yet I'm consistently seeing older horses (mostly QH) with long backs who are still very usable. It makes me wonder just how much the long back actually matters. I suppose it depends on everything else. A long back with a weak topline, small hips, and poor SI placement would obviously have trouble, but these long horses with only the longness as an issue seem to be perfectly fine. We had an OLD mare a few years ago that was built almost identical to this guy...she was very successful in the cutting and reining rings as a young horse and was used consistently into her 40s, and she never did get any back arthritis which is what we were SURE would do her in. It ended up just being nerve damage in her back hocks that caused problems, and she had perfectly usable, nice hocks.

Beautiful gelding Tracer! I think his conformation has already been critiqued nicely so no comments from me other than that I think I want to take him home with me. I love me some bay horse!

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
A long back may not make a weak horse. It makes a horse much less handy and much more difficult to collect. This horse has a strong topline. His back is not long. His legs are short.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.