The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thought id ask a question as it got me curious does ai give u a better chance of a certain sex for frozen or chilled say more colts with chilled or ect ect just thought it would be interesting may be a way of creating a poll but I have no idea so thought breeding section would be the place to ask peoples experiences so if u have ai before post something like this maybe

Frozen- colt

or
frozen - filly

and multiples answer just the same way

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
While I have seen trends of certain stallions seeming to produce more of one gender over the other, I have not personally seen any difference from the method of AI used.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I have heard that chilled has a tendency to produce colts but there are too many factors that go into it to make any predictions. Some stallions naturally have higher colt or filly production, other stallions are about equal in producing genders. Then you factor in temperature, length of time until insemination and where exactly a mare's cycle is. The reasoning for some to say chilled produces more colts than live cover is because the mare is being inseminated when she is ovulating and Y chromosome tend to swim faster. Although they also tend to die faster so length of time being chilled could kill them. No way to make absolute sure you get the gender you want, it is all a gamble, from disposition, conformation, height, build, gender, amount of white, etc. you stack odds in your favor with choice of mare and stallion. If you have a gender preference, you can look at a stallion's filly vs colt production as a factor in making a decision.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah I know there's probably so many factors to consider I dint actually mean that you would do one certain way to get a colt or a filly just interested me in if one way actually has more of one sex then another. So many different theory's on sexs just thought it would be interesting to hear other peoples experiences :)

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Due to the wide range of factors, including an individual stallion's natural tendency of filly/colt production... You would have to conduct a controlled test, using the same stallion and what he produces live cover, cooled and frozen. This would require huge numbers of foals from one stallion to even get an idea if gender of the foal is effected by the method the foal was conceived.

I talked to a breeder about their stallion who only did cooled AI, they were convinced that his over 50% colt production was because it was cooled semen inserted into a mare as she ovulated. But since he had never done live cover, there was no way to even know if the AI breedings were even a factor in the foals' gender.

So basically, there may be a trend in having a colt or filly depending on the method, but it is probably as reliable as choosing the time of breeding based upon the cycle of the moon to influence a foal's gender. Yes, there are charts out there telling you what you will have based upon the lunar cycle. The lunar cycle chart turned out being correct for 2 foals I know of, was wrong for the 3rd foal. But if you increased the number of foals, it would likely average out to bring correct about 50% of the time. The easier method to predict a foal's gender is to flip a coin ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
990 Posts
Well when we AI a cow we usually get more heifers but I think it's a 50/50 chance.
Now that I think about it some years we get more bulls.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Cows can actually have sexed semen. When I breed my beef,aster heifer the bull I've picked out offers heifer sexed semen which is what I will use on my heifer. I'm currently building my herd so I really would prefer heifers.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks everyone yeah so many different ideas on sexes ive heard about the moon one also one about feeding mares vinegar to increase the acidity or something like that then about different times of the cycle, also fat mares over thinner mares and breeding on the first and third day just so many theory's lol I just want a filly for once after 10 years of colts id probably walk don town in a chicken suit flapping my arms and clucking if someone said it would increase my chance of a filly haha

·
Registered
393 Posts
I'm not sure what the case is with horses, but from my experience with artifically inseminating cows, certain bulls definitely throw more heifer or more bull calves. There is one bull that we used a lot of (14 or so pregnancies to him) and we only got 1 bull. That's better conception than using sexed semen! With sexed semen there's around an 85% chance of getting a heifer as opposed to a 50% chance of getting a heifer with unsexed semen.
I have also heard that the later you breed a cow during their heat the more likely it will be a heifer calf.... Something about how the XY chromosome sperm swims faster?
Definitely haven't heard anything about more bulls or heifers using frozen semen though. I do know that the conception rate drops considerably when AI breeding as opposed to live cover.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.