The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found a half of a bag of alfa alfa cubes that we bought a year maybe more ago... Is it still good after a year and can I feed it to my horses? I gave them both a cube when they were out in their pasture. They liked it! But they wont like die or get sick would they??? :lol:

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
You mean alfalfa, right?

I would think if they are not moldy they should be fine. Smell them, do they smell like nice alfalfa?

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah sorry i always put a space between them! lolol
What does good alfalfa smell like?

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
As long as it wasn't moldy it will be fine ... but, not for nothing, why would you feed them to your horse and then ask if it will kill them?

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well I figured one wasn't going to kill them, I also inspected them for like 10 minutes before I gave it to them.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have a question about alfalfa cubes as well...I recently bought a horse that is slightly underweight. The place that I board him offers 'pasture board' - you can have a stall but you have to cleaning and turn in/out yourself and I don't live close enough. Anyway, feed and hay is included in board but it is 'coastal'. Other boarders there suggested I get some T&A hay and they would give him a flake of it at night when the other horse is brought in (one that can't have that kind of hay). I went to the feed store and they were out of T&A, said I could have alfalfa hay for that price, but since I'm not out there to 'oversee' the feeding and i don't want him to colic for getting such a more rich hay too much, I declined. But I did take notice of this bag of alfalfa cubes they had as treats (I assumed). I thought maybe I could get him a bag of those and keep them myself to give as treats? I'm out there 2x a week, would be better than not getting it right? I'm just wondering other people's opinions on them as treats

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I give them to Rosie as treats. I keep a few in my pockets when I'm working with her. Then hand feed her a couple after a grooming. I also give her about a half a gallon broken apart into smaller pieces right before I leave the barn.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Rottenweiler, the alfalfa cubes would surely help him with weight. I started my hardkeeper TB mare on alf cubes a few months ago and she looks noticeably nicer (even my non-horsey relatives noticed).

It would probably be better for him to receive them daily as part of a meal rather than treats. I know you're not there to oversee it, but if you can have the BO/BM agree to feed him soaked cubes everyday he'd most likely benefit far more than if he just got them as treats a few times a week :)

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
If you are just starting out with them, I would soak them. Especially if you're giving them quite a few). If you're just giving a couple here and there, it should be fine. On the other hand, if you're horse is used to alfalfa hay, you should be fine.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
I use alfalfa cubes as treats. What I do is to break them up and give it to them in small pieces.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
If you're going to be feeding larger quantities than a couple of treats here or there, I would soak them. It'll cut down the risk of choke significantly. Since they are so dry, if the horse doesn't chew well or bolts them they can cause choke on them pretty easily, in my opinion.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Soak them.. choke is a very real possibility with cubes. Would be better honestly to get alfalfa pellets. Then your BO/BM won't have to take the time to soak them, and would be much easier with the pellets.

Coastal (Bermuda) is generally pretty good hay.. whats up with not wanting that?

·
Registered
448 Posts
he is not used to alfalfa hay, he gets coastal. I just thought maybe it would be a more economical and easier to use solution, rather than getting T&A hay and hoping someone else will feed it to him. They throw the coastal twice a day and i have no reason to think that they would 'forget' that he has T&A...I just couldn't be sure because I am not out there everyday

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.