The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone seen this yet? I love Johnny Depp so seeing something he is in is a plus, but it would be nice if its also a good movie.

·
Registered
673 Posts
My husband dragged me to go see if on opening night with the promise of a concession stand pretzel...mmm...

I hated it. It was like an advertisement for hot topic. Johnny Depp played the same character he always plays, and while it worked in Pirates, it seems weird here. The movie might as well have been named "The Mad Hatter" for all the attention he gets.

I don't like Tim Burton's movies anyway, so I might be biased. But in my opinion the movie was boring and dull, and it would have been nicer if they had used brighter colors and had a more interesting story line. Nothing about it would make me see it again.

Also if it matters, my husband didn't like it either and he was looking forward to seeing it.

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^^Good to know, now I definitely won't ask my husband to go see it with me.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
I thought it was very well done, and my Husband and I thoroughly enjoyed it! Johnny what exceptional in it, as he always is in whatever roll he plays and I thought he portayed the Mad Hatter very, very well. All the characters in this movie were all very well done.

The 3D made it even more exciting. Very humorous and kept me enthralled from the start to the finish.

The girl who played Alice did a wonderful job.

This Alice movie, was based on the 2nd novel that was written, about Alice coming back to Wonderland for the second time - based on "The Looking Glass". Followed the book quite well I would have to say.

The theator was packed when we saw it on opening night, and there was alot of laughter.

I give it 2 thumbs up.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
I loved it, it was wonderfully odd. I thought it was going to be a little more of a Tim Burton grown up type movie, so a few minus points there, but overall it was great.

·
Banned
1,994 Posts
Oh my gosh. I thought it was soo awsome. I love Tim Burtons movies. I love Johnny Depp :)
5* stars. :D

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't like all of his films. I don't like Nightmare Before Christmas and I know lots of people love it.
I do love Edward Scissorhand, Beetlejuice and lots of his other stuff. I didn't like the way he redid Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. IMO no one but Gene Wilder could be Willy Wonka

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
Actually Vida, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was a closer rendition of the book than Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

Roald Dahl books are kind of creepy, and the first movie with Gene Wilder just didn't portray that. It was a cute movie, but I liked the second one better.

I've always enjoyed Tim Burton movies, even some of the lesser known films like Ed Woods, again starring Johnny Depp, and the wonderful Martin Landau as an aging, ill Bela Lugosi.

I even liked Sweeney Todd, although a musical about a murderous barber and his female companion who makes meat pies out of his victims was a stretch for a musical! Once I got past the weirdness of the singing and dancing numbers after he'd slashed up someone, I enjoyed the movie.

The Nightmare Before Christmas is one of my 'must see' Christmas movies every year, along with The Santa Clause, The Grinch Who Stole Christmas, and It's a Wonderful Life.

Yeah, I'm a freak. I've made peace with that! :lol:

I've been following the luscious Mr. Depp's career since he was the football jock in A Nightmare on Elm Street.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I will admit that when I first watched The Nightmare Before Christmas, I was enthralled. An uncle got it for us kids for Christmas, we probably watched it about 10 times. But I wouldn't watch it again now.

I just don't like the creepy now. I also admit I must be the only female on the planet who doesn't find Johnny Depp attractive. He was good in pirates, but he seems so type cast now... the kooky crazy guy!

I loved Roald Dahl books, although looking back now, they are kind of creepy too! I'd still read those again though :)

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I always think of Johnny Depp from back in the 21 Jump street days. Guess I'm old but the Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory will always be the best for me. I was 14 when it came out in 1971:shock: I never read the book.

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
I saw it over the weekend it came out. Being a BIG Disney fan, I had some pretty high expectations and I have to say I would rate the movie a good 4/5. Great story line which didn't follow the original Disney movie, but it had some great parts to the plot that were directly related to the animation.

Disney did a great job keeping it Disney, yet making the whole movie very Tim Burton'ish. A tiny bit to Burton flavoured for me, but a fantastic movie over all.

Definitely a must own on DVD.

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
I always think of Johnny Depp from back in the 21 Jump street days. Guess I'm old but the Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory will always be the best for me. I was 14 when it came out in 1971:shock: I never read the book.

There is a reason Pirates of the Caribbeans are my favorite movies :twisted:

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Great story line which didn't follow the original Disney movie, but it had some great parts to the plot that were directly related to the animation.
That's because the original Disney movie was based on the book 'Alice in Wonderland' - This movie was based on the sequel, 'Through the Looking Glass'.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.