The Horse Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently started galloping bareback and this is a pretty huge accomplishment for me, since I taught myself to ride and I only ride without saddle on a stubborn little buckskin mare lol. Lmk what you can do bareback!

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
I W-T-C bareback. I don't canter a lot, though. I would try jumping bareback, as my Pony is a very trustworthy guy, but I don't have the core strength or the body strength or the positioning yet to be good enough. I've trotted him over Cavalettis bareback.

I have been working on riding with no reins, also. I tend to do that bareback, because it's easier than tacking up.

Reactions: knightrider

·
Registered
2 Posts
I love riding bareback. I learnt to ride on a miniature pony who keep putting its head down to eat and because I didn’t have a saddle I would just roll down his neck so I had to learn to pull his head up and stay balanced, so to this day I still have some very strong leg muscles.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I have owned my main gelding over 17 years and have been on him bareback exactly once, and that’s because my teammates kind of shamed me into it!
I don’t enjoy riding bareback (obviously!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
I don’t enjoy riding bareback (obviously!).
Maybe if you had a Pony who was built like a sofa you might like it! LOL his back is softer than a gel cushion and he has no withers to speak of.

My legs do get stretched out to the side though, LOL.

Reactions: Txshecat0423

·
Registered
Dusty, 12hh Welsh gelding
120 Posts
I love riding bareback and do it often! It's awesome just heading outside, whistling for my handsome boy, he comes galloping, I joyfully slip his bridle on and we're off! It feels very relaxed and free; I like it.

And it's extremely beneficial for building core strength and balance. Riding bareback has aided me considerably as I've progressed in my riding.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My mare doesn't have the softest back, but I learned to canter bareback on her years upon years ago, and rode almost exclusively bareback for the past 5 years. Before I owned her she was a barrel horse, and got anxious and riled up when you put a western saddle on her, so I rode her bareback to change things up and build her trust in me. She has a very structured back and having her withers right in front of me was comforting. It is addicting though. I actually kind of had to get used to riding in a saddle again because I felt less safe in one after riding bareback for a few years. You can't bail as easily and I had a fear my feet would get caught in the stirrups. Also, it is a lot of work to get one that fits and then saddle up every time you ride, haha.

You just have to watch out if you are a woman because it may hurt your back, something to do with having a wider pelvis, but I'm not sure exactly what. Ultimately I stopped because I would pinch a nerve in my back only when I rode bareback and my pinky and ring fingers would go numb, which isn't great, lol.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I walk, trot, canter, and jump bareback, and I do it everywhere! Arena, round pen, field, down the road, anywhere I can. I feel more secure without a saddle.

Plus I’m then able to fold and pivot in ways I can’t in a saddle to avoid further injury to myself.

I do cheat and use a bareback pad. We’re both bony and nobody is comfortable without!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I learned to ride about 6 years ago, and loved to ride bareback, but have not had an opportunity to ride for a number of years. I live on a secluded rural property that is fenced, and has a horse barn. I recently acquired two very pretty Welsh Mountain ponies, a grey mare, and a chestnut gelding. The ponies are both about11.2 hands high. I am 5'-6' tall, and my weight is 145 lbs.{10.36 stones}. I have mounted both ponies bareback for short 10 minute rides. I felt comfortable mounted on either pony. Although I may be a bit heavy, I have strong muscular legs from skiing, bicycling, and weight training. Should these ponies be able to comfortably carry me on hour long rides?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm learning and haven't still tried bareback! This is something I want to try soon though! I think I'm just gaining enough confidence with my mare to try it out :) do you guys have any tips for feeling safe and comfortable when trying the first few times?

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts