The Horse Forum banner

All My Horses

4679 Views 95 Replies 22 Participants Last post by  Acadianartist
I am not a person for journaling but there may be times when I want to honor those who are no longer here and this seems to be the best place to put Duncan’s journey since his current owner and myself are making such a big deal out of it😍😍.

I managed to cut off the last 22 seconds of Duncan’s loading video as that is where there is a full face view of the handler.

Duncan is getting backed into his spot by a local hauler from Orange County, to be carried to the van that will bring him to Tennessee. There are two big bales of covered timothy hay and a five gallon pail of beet pulp/supplements in the stall to Duncan’s right, so I can transition him over to life with orchard grass/mix hay and timothy pellets when he isn’t on pasture 😀😀

I thought this thread might be a good way to give Duncan his own place in his new world, even though I have linked it to Joker’s memorial😇😇

My brother, who has become more astute about horses and their care over the years, still contends Duncan’s demeanor is very “Streeter-ish”. Streeter was my precious Arab who loved small children and was a lesson horse for them — giving several of them what is probably their only horse memories, thankfully happy ones. The more I see Duncan’s face, and his demeanor in general, the more I agree😎

Horse Fence Natural landscape Working animal Grass
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
I am not a person for journaling but there may be times when I want to honor those who are no longer here and this seems to be the best place to put Duncan’s journey since his current owner and myself are making such a big deal out of it😍😍.

I managed to cut off the last 22 seconds of Duncan’s loading video as that is where there is a full face view of the handler.

Duncan is getting backed into his spot by a local hauler from Orange County, to be carried to the van that will bring him to Tennessee. There are two big bales of covered timothy hay and a five gallon pail of beet pulp/supplements in the stall to Duncan’s right, so I can transition him over to life with orchard grass/mix hay and timothy pellets when he isn’t on pasture 😀😀

I thought this thread might be a good way to give Duncan his own place in his new world, even though I have linked it to Joker’s memorial😇😇

My brother, who has become more astute about horses and their care over the years, still contends Duncan’s demeanor is very “Streeter-ish”. Streeter was my precious Arab who loved small children and was a lesson horse for them — giving several of them what is probably their only horse memories, thankfully happy ones. The more I see Duncan’s face, and his demeanor in general, the more I agree😎

Excited to see more updates!

· Registered
3,993 Posts
What a Champ is Duncan, I'm glad you are keeping a journal of his journey to you
Looking forward to the next chapter.
the name Duncan brings back a little story of when my daughter was working at a Beach Campground for the summer. She and another young fellow were working at the admission booth when a lady came in and wanted a day pass to the beach. the fellow gave her the prices but mentioned to her that no dogs were allowed on the beach. The lady was mightily offended and firmly told him not to call him a dog. HE IS DUNCAN! She paid for her pass and when the transaction was complete the young fellow said. Now remember ma'am no Duncans on the beach as well.

I know this has nothing to do with the transport and arrival of your Duncan but every time i hear that name I think back to this little story

· Registered
3,993 Posts
Also I have to say he loaded so well and I wonder what goes through his mind as walks into the trailer. Where am I going today? What will I have to do when I get there? When will we be coming back home?
I wish we could tell them what it's all about and that he is going to a wonderful place where he will be the happiest of horses.

· Registered
13,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@Woodhaven your Duncan story is too funny. Quick thinking on the part of your daughter’s friend to say “No Duncan’s on the beach” 😂😂

Yes, the rest of the video (that shows the handler’s face:( shows the Sweet Fella easily backing into his spot and just accepting that is what he should do - it’s bittersweet even though I know he is coming here.

@ksbowman thankyou! Duncan is a handsome guy for 26 isn’t he!? It did not go unnoticed by me that the picture of the young lady sitting on him with nothing more than a stirrup-less bareback pad and how the reins were dropped. How fast can I learn to post without a saddle - even if it’s only for fifty feet🐎😎

@weeedlady I hope Rusty is welcoming - he can be a pip but Duncan will stay in the barnyard for awhile, eventually moving into Joker’s six acres until I am sure there won’t be any serious pushing & shoving.

The critter chiro is already scheduled for Monday. I asked her to add Duncan for an exam and a good massage at the minimum. He will meet the farrier the end of next week.

Accroding to the weather channel the south/southeast is really under the gun for severe storms, high winds, tornadoes. My area is in the Torcon 3 zone. Wouldn’t you know it. I may not sleep at all, until I get word Duncan is off the interstate and headed into town. Yessirree - I just worry about what to worry about next, so I do😳🤯😳🤯

· Registered
13,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just looking at the weather this morning and it looks like you've got some heavy stuff coming your way.Hope the seas part when Duncan's tranfer time comes.
Amen to that👍😀👍😀.

Looking at the Weather Channel map, my area has been upgraded to a Torcon value of 4 - I figured that would happen😳. We have a lot of cloud cover ATM, which is what we need to keep the air from juicing up enough to allow tornado spin ups.

It’s all supposed to be out of my area ~11:00 PM C. Duncan’s owner hasn’t heard from the transport company and we’re hoping no news is good news. They make the trip from SoCal to KY all the time with expensive race horses. In my infinite wisdom (🥴🙄🥴🙄), my thought is they will try to stay behind the cold front that is coming from the west and fixing to collide with all that warm Gulf air in a couple of the states they have to pass thru.

This weather has made me remember that I went after Rusty, 26 years ago, in a horrible thunderstorm. I left right after work, went to the stables and loaded Duke as he was a great PR horse. I-80 was a one lane each way construction mud-slingin’ mess and I had to go over the Plateau range of the Allegheny Mountains.

It was not that much of a fun time, lol. Rusty did end up colicking but it was three days after I got him back to the barn. <knock on wood> that was his only colic, ever. ——- I really wish I wouldn’t have remembered this after 26 years💩💩

DH will be following me in his pickup. Since trees on our road have a knack for falling at the mere mention of wind, he is carrying the chainsaw with him. No kidding. He has to move tree branches about once a month to get to work, lol. The drop off farm’s road isn’t much better😂😂

· Registered
13,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
UPDATE:

The transporter texted Duncan’s owner to say Duncan will be delivered between 7:00 AM - 9:00 AM tomorrow March 31st. In my mind that means they played it safe and are staying behind the storm system, which is buckin’ huge if you haven‘t been able to see anything on TV.

It wouldn’t surprise me if they have weather stations in their rigs.

Thank you Jesus❤❤

· Registered
13,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
YAY! Duncan arrived around 7:15 AM! KC Transport arrived about five minutes after me, we transferred Duncan to my trailer in the daylight and the storm was long gone, with the worst of it thankfully missing my end of the county😇😇

I got a few fotos on my phone and I am waiting for the video of Duncan getting off the van to upload toYouTube. DH has a bazillion pictures but they are on an SD card from his digital camera so I have to upload them to the desktop😂😂

Anyway, that sweet gentleman walked right off the van without issue and bless his sweet soul, he stepped right into my set-up trailer. We had to take the front center divider out and just use the big front/back divider door because Duncan is too long to fit in the front and be able to hook up the butt bar, lol

His companion horse, coming across the U.S., was a race horse who had just won a million dollar race and was on its way to Kentucky for more racing.

They laid over in ElPaso, Texas and all the horses enjoyed eight hours of rest in box stalls. The storm was the reason for that longer layover time.

Based on this experience and how they took care of Duncan, I would recommend KC transport to anyone who is on or near their path of travel from SoCal to Kentucky👍👍

Fotos won’t load and I’m having difficulty getting the video to load to YouTube🤐💩🤐💩

I have to do a barn check. Hopefully cyberspace won‘t be so contrary when I get back to the house🙄

1 - 20 of 96 Posts