The Horse Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
You'd be amazed at the trouble horses get in the moment you turn your back.

Oh I know, I learned the hard way this past summer with an expensive vet bill. I know many boarders where I am now will often leave their horses alone in the barn tied, but I never will. You should never leave any horse unsupervised anywhere. Not worth the risk.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I do not understand why people have stalls, where you can't do up the stall front, as in those commercial stall fronts seen at show facilities and anywhere a proper horse barn is built!
Those types of stalls just are not safe. Even though my horses don't jump out of stalls, I will put up those stall fronts , just in case, when not around, and esp when first stalling young horses not used to being kept in!
Ya the stalls we have at the barn is the ones with just a half door and no bars on the top with a slide out window for them to stick their head out of.

IMO, these stalls with no top half are a safety risk. At least the ones with the bars, there is no way any horse will try to jump through since all they can fit through is their head.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
I found a photo of the stalls we have in my area although it's not very good. Mind you these are our 'show' stables for when we have the Cairns show we also use them when we have cyclones and flooding. I don't think in my areas we really have proper stabling except maybe at the race stables ?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Sorry should have worded it better. Horses need to be completely comfortable being in a stall before being left there for extended time alone.

Ive walked into a stall with my mare I think 3 times and she doesnt like being in there. Though the 2nd time I brought her in, she made a huge improvement and felt a lot more comfortable. All times, I never left her in there alone, I was in there with her and for no longer than a few mins. This is actually one of the things Ive been wanting to do with her, in case I ever need to put her in a stall for 20mins, whatever.

Every now and then when I take her into the barn, just walk her into the stall, do a couple circles, then back out. I was told over time, they will become a lot more comfortable being in one.

Ive always been curious on whether giving timeouts by stalling achieves anything. From reading online, a lot of articles said it doesnt do anything cause by the time you get them in there, its too late. Can you give a situation where it would work?
I think it's more for a frustrated owner to get a timeout.

·
Registered
15,433 Posts
You should never leave any horse unsupervised anywhere. Not worth the risk.
SO you would sleep in the barn with the horses that are stalled overnight? That is a kind of unrealistic statement.....

If you are specifically talking about tying, there are 'safe' ways of tying and places to tie.....obviously you monitor a problem horse, but a horse who is used to being tied, should be able to be left. We had horses that lived in tie stalls during the winter.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Ya the stalls we have at the barn is the ones with just a half door and no bars on the top with a slide out window for them to stick their head out of.

IMO, these stalls with no top half are a safety risk. At least the ones with the bars, there is no way any horse will try to jump through since all they can fit through is their head.
If they can fit their head through the bars the bars are too wide.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
SO you would sleep in the barn with the horses that are stalled overnight? That is a kind of unrealistic statement.....

If you are specifically talking about tying, there are 'safe' ways of tying and places to tie.....obviously you monitor a problem horse, but a horse who is used to being tied, should be able to be left. We had horses that lived in tie stalls during the winter.
Well you never know what your horse is going to do when not supervised :D

I still kick myself for that 1min (literally 1min) that I was away from my mare this past summer when she was in a paddock grazing. I will not take that chance again.

Sometimes I will have her tied in the barn and if I have to step out, I will ask someone to keep an eye on her. Otherwise Im always with her.

·
Registered
15,433 Posts

·
Registered
14,169 Posts
An old trainer of mine once told me, "Horses are innately suicidal. You can wrap them in padding and put them in a padded stall to protect them from injury and the horse will eat the padding, colic and die.". She was right. Another one said, "Horses only have 2 things on their minds every day. What will I eat and how can I kill myself?". Another one that's true.

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
Yes, air ventilation is important, thus stalls are only solid half way up, including the top of that drop down stall door, and I also had hubby drill air holes into the bottom of all the wood panels that line the bottom of those stall fronts.
I also have not used tie stalls, per say, since leaving the tobacco farm of my childhood. We did ties the work horses in tie stalls, as that is all we had for horses
I do, though, tie horses all the time, either in the barn isle or in a stall, to teach tying patience
My stall fronts are secure, as they are attached to heavy wood pillars, that are sunk into concrete, thus very safe to tie to.
The stalls themselves are raised above level of barn floor, as I used to have flooding problems in early spring, just when I needed those stalls for the broodmares and foals.
I also have rubber floor matts in them. A horse is very safe, tied in them, and I do that all the time,esp when I first start them under saddle. Standing tied,a lone, after work is part of that training

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
At a barn in my younger days, the vet walked into my friend's mare's stall, and she jumped handily out the window!

Gosh, I hope Spirit is still in his stall when I get back!!

I leave horses tied in the barn aisle ALL the time.....no one watches them.
Several could be left with No halter on standing "ground tied", and still be there when I got back.

Paranoid humans create paranoid horses!!

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
So the only way around that is to be with her 24/7 and that is not realistic, you minimise the risks, but still horses are born as an accident looking for somewhere to happen.
I know but I always try my best to always have an eye on her as much as I can. The good thing about the barn now is that fencing is not a concern so Im no longer paranoid about her getting cut by the fencing like at the old barn.

·
Registered
15,433 Posts
I know but I always try my best to always have an eye on her as much as I can.
For the hour a day that you are there, so 23 hours a day, or even 20 hours a day, you are not watching her, she will either find something to damage herself on, or nor as the case maybe.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
For the hour a day that you are there, so 23 hours a day, or even 20 hours a day, you are not watching her, she will either find something to damage herself on, or nor as the case maybe.
But those 23 hours she is in the field and can move freely and I trust the BO because I know he checks up on the horses multiple times a day. When Im at the barn, a lot of the time she is tied. Mind you, she has become really good in standing tied now. Just yesterday I was really admiring it. She has come a long ways from when we first got to the barn, where she was dancing every second when tied. Now shes comfortable even when theres no other horses inside and its dark outside. Itll just be me and her in the barn, and she just stands patiently. I can do other stuff in the barn while she is tied and she just waits.

Remember how when I got to this barn, the first week I was really questioning if she will be able to get used to the narrow tach isle and dim lighting? Well its been answered.

I dont know exactly what I did but its obviously paid dividends big time cause there is a night and day difference in her, its really remarkable. Everyone has commented on how well she stands tied now.

Now, Im just working on the other areas of tying..."ground tying etc"

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
You know something I went and saw my horse Sunday afternoon really late probably like 8pm or something and when I came to get him 12 hrs later for a lesson he was limping because he put his hip out. Horses are accident prone we just have to pray that they will manage to not injure themselves when we aren't watching..

This occurred a couple of months ago for clarification.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
Remember how many times we have told you that to train a horse, you have to trust it?
Yes and i trust my mare a lot more today than I did months ago because we have cleaned up quite a few things. As long as I keep things as black and white as I can, she clearly puts in the effort to please. I can see it with my own eyes and its very VERY encouraging.

It was my fault before for not being as black and white as I could be. But right now I go the extra effort and do the research in making sure I make things as black and white for her as I can.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts