The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I have a coming three year old I hope, in fact I need to, start. I can not let him go without being started this coming year. I just need a good foundation starting point to work with.

He is fully halter broke, lunges well at a walk and a trot, with and without a saddle. He has been in an in-hand trail class and showmanship. I have mounted him as a two year old, but have not asked anything more.

One hurdle I need to first accomplish, is getting his wolf teeth out. Which will be done, maybe I'll ask for it from the horse santa...

Second, I need a good fitting saddle. Birthday present for the both of us?
Current saddle I use to just play around in with him, sits off of his back. I tried a full quarter horse bar and it slipped underneath him. (Even after a lot of tightening) So that didn't help.

Third one.... Well I need the time and ability to work with him on a constant note.

Fourth, I need a routine and some guidance.

My second option I am looking at is someone who will teach me and him all at once. Like someone who will walk me through the training on him. I want to avoid someone training him as I have a huge bond with him.

So, my question is... Anyone have an answer to 1-4 or have an idea as to how I can find someone to help me? Any help is much needed! Technically he will be three January 1st, but his birthday is February 24th.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Wolf teeth are easy to do, just call your vet or equine dentist and it can be done in 30 minutes. It's cheaper if you haul to the vet instead of getting a barn call. My horse had to get stitches taken out and I was able to get her wolf teeth out at the same time. You might do this one soonest so it heals up before you start using a bit.

I want to avoid someone training him as I have a huge bond with him.
I felt the same way at first, but I knew in my heart that I probably didn't have the riding ability or the "feel" to start her correctly. I interviewed many people in my area, all with different techniques. I finally settled on a fellow whose horsemanship goals matched my own. I'm going to send her for 30 days, but he welcomed me to be involved as much as I possibly can. A young horse needs consistency most, and realistically with working it's not something I can give her - but that he can. But wanting to be involved through the whole process is totally great! I feel like I have a huge bond with my horse, but I also feel like we are "too close". I let her get away with stuff because I think it's cute/funny, but it's kind of disrespectful. Sometimes a trainer can treat your horse more impartially than you can and make your life easier. xD

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Sounds like you have a good start on things:D
I have started almost all of my horses,but getting them trained/work with any consistency is hard:-(. I find with work & being at mercy of the weather training tends to be sporadic & becomes a long drawn out process:cry:. This year I have a coming 3 yr old too. I have done her ground work & first saddling/rides at W/T,she will now sit & do nothing for the next few month,but plan on sending her to trainer in spring:). I did have my Coach/trainer come out & coach me with her once in fall. Her being in full time training ,will include me getting coaching/lesson with her:wink:. but my trainer will be doing most the work with this girl. I did however have her 1/2 brother in training but he is very much a one person type horse,so due to his temperament we took a different approach with him. I went out as often as I could about 3xweek. I rode him & she coached me through the training process.On days I wasn't there she worked mostly on ground with him & trying to gain some trust from him. He did warm up to her & she was able to ride him too, but he was still much more relaxed & different horse with me,hence we'd made more progress with me riding him. The experience with him & that training approach did wonders for the both of us:D Helped me take him to the next step in his training & I learned more about my own riding. The different training exercises that I learned could apply to my other horses,or things I knew only parts of how to do, now learned how to follow them through. Got much better in use of my aids:wink: Now I'm soooo looking forward to working my young mare,feel i'm more equipped to progress along with her in her show training,after all I learned working with her brother:D.
You may opt to work something out with a trainer similiar to what we did with my gelding.:)

·
Registered
8,362 Posts
Well, JMO...you shouldn't start under saddle w/o a good fitting saddle. It doesn't have to be a fancy or new one, just one that fits well.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I let her get away with stuff because I think it's cute/funny, but it's kind of disrespectful.
That is extremely true! Haha. He does so many stupid stuff I can't help but giggle at him... Like trying to eat my fuzzy coat...

Sounds like you have a good start on things:D
I have started almost all of my horses,but getting them trained/work with any consistency is hard:-(. I find with work & being at mercy of the weather training tends to be sporadic & becomes a long drawn out process:cry:. This year I have a coming 3 yr old too. I have done her ground work & first saddling/rides at W/T,she will now sit & do nothing for the next few month,but plan on sending her to trainer in spring:). I did have my Coach/trainer come out & coach me with her once in fall. Her being in full time training ,will include me getting coaching/lesson with her:wink:. but my trainer will be doing most the work with this girl. I did however have her 1/2 brother in training but he is very much a one person type horse,so due to his temperament we took a different approach with him. I went out as often as I could about 3xweek. I rode him & she coached me through the training process.On days I wasn't there she worked mostly on ground with him & trying to gain some trust from him. He did warm up to her & she was able to ride him too, but he was still much more relaxed & different horse with me,hence we'd made more progress with me riding him. The experience with him & that training approach did wonders for the both of us:D Helped me take him to the next step in his training & I learned more about my own riding. The different training exercises that I learned could apply to my other horses,or things I knew only parts of how to do, now learned how to follow them through. Got much better in use of my aids:wink: Now I'm soooo looking forward to working my young mare,feel i'm more equipped to progress along with her in her show training,after all I learned working with her brother:D.
You may opt to work something out with a trainer similiar to what we did with my gelding.:)
I will keep what you did in mind if I can't find the time! I hope to get a more stable job with better hours to where I can consistently have time off for him. Plus I will be doing in in the spring. Weather isn't to bad... or isn't usually. Its a double edged sword. I want to train him myself so no one can mess him but yet I could mess him up myself! D:

Well, JMO...you shouldn't start under saddle w/o a good fitting saddle. It doesn't have to be a fancy or new one, just one that fits well.
Oh of course! That is why its number two on my list of need to do. Second only to getting his wolf teeth out.

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
my advice is to send him to a trainer for 30-60 days of consistent work...go for some lessons to be shown his 'buttons' and then you take over from there. we have done that with all of our horses. and we sent our 13 year old last year for 45 days after over a decade of no professional work. why? Because I dont have the time to consistantly train him daily for his upkeep.

Getting that 30-60 days under belt is wayyyyyy better to start off with. with a young horse you cant jump on them every 3-6 days and expect them to progess in training. it doesnt happen! ive been there. and ultimately wasted 2 years trying to get somewhere I couldnt with a 5 year old. if i has sent her out at first and put my pride aside, i would NOT have had the problems I had with her. by inconsistently working her, I set her back, and nearly ruined her. she was spoiled and i was too proud to admit that i couldnt do it. Its not that I wasnt capable, its that my time restrictions were just too much.

Your 'bond' or 'connection' with him will not go away. it never will! but in his best interest, getting that solid work schedule under him and getting him going good, is going to be ultimately the best in the long run. and much easier and more stress-free on you.

There is nothing wrong with getting help. and you will learn so much! When my horses are in training, i get free lessons on them. so once a week ill go out and learn something. Im a dang good rider, and a great barrel racer/speed runner, but Im not perfect. and having someone watch what Im doing and correcting big or little things is awesome. my trainer is super willing to work with her clients. I bet you could find someone that will be eager to help you.

:)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I agree with CL:) best way is send them out to have someone that is able to work them consistantly:D. I usually start them with ground work & first rides just like i've done with my girl then they go to trainer were they can get consistent schooling:wink: My trainer handled her { in halter/in hand stuff} as a 2 yr old so already knows her temperament. She has also seen her under saddle with me & I already had lesson with her. Now this spring she is ready to get serious with her schooling & I am going to learn with lessons as many as I can get in:lol: that is all part of package, learning along with my horse:).I've done this with other horses & wanted to do similar with my gelding's training but had to take different approach as he is not typical case:lol: I brought up the experience with my gelding cause you said you wanted to do training yourself but with guidance,thought it might work for you:wink: but bottom line you still need the time to commit if you want to get anywhere...

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
trainer usually they are worked 5x week. I try to get out at least once a week to for lesson:D

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I just wanted to say, sending to a trainer will not wreck your bond, but it will show your horse that people other than you can ride and handle him, which is a skill that will come in handy later on, and make your horse more versatile.

first, get those teeth pulled.

second, get a great fitting saddle. these first two need to be done before you move on to the rest.

I would grab Clinton Andersons book for building trust and respect, and work through all the groundwork exercises. this will set a great foundation for under saddle work.

as to the third and fourth, you need to figure out your schedule regardless of sending him to a trainer or not. If you choose to send him to the trainer, ask how often you can come for lessons. I would go weekly to observe, but many trainers don't want to do lessons until near the end of the training process, which I think is fair. When/if he comes home, you need to continue the training regularly. Young horses need a good foundation, at least 60 days of consistent riding, ideally 90. Because he's still really young, the sessions don't need to be long, and you don't want to work him too hard, but you want him to have consistent riding and handling. If you cant commit to working with him 4-5 days a week, you should really send him to a trainer.

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
How often does a trainer usually work a horse? 3 or 4 times a week?
My trainer works them 5 days a week. Sometimes 6 if she has the time. Its so helpful and you'd be amazed where just 30 days will put you.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
23,642 Posts
Bookmarking to come back to.
Lots to say, having a recently started 3 year old coming on 7 months of under saddle training.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Human Brown Skin Horse Photograph

Brown Horse Sorrel Working animal Plain

Brown Horse Landscape Mammal Working animal

Here is the fat guy. These are all from spring and summer, latest one is from September. He is standing at 15.3 right now, and the picture with me I am 5'2". I think he had just hit 15 hands in that picture.

Also, how should I go about finding a trainer? I'm scared to death to send him to a trainer and them beat him or not feed him or something. Just scares me.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Interview a lot! I looked on Facebook for many trainers in my area, and I e-mailed or messaged them asking if they were taking colts in the spring, what was their training philosophy, if they have any video, if I could come visit and watch them train for an hour, how much, would you be allowed to come any time you want, come take lessons, etc.

I eventually found "my guy" after attending an ACTHA event and meeting some people who pointed me in the right direction. He let me come watch one of his clinics for free, answered a lot of my questions, and just gave me very genuine answers. I especially like a place that will let you stop by. At the clinic I got to see how he handled horses and their people, and his horsemanship closely resembled my own and how I would want my horse to be started.

I must say, trust your intuition. I've worked for "trainers" who lie through their teeth and have very bad practices. My gut always told me something was wrong before I actually witnessed it. Listen to your intuition.

Cute pony!

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
I once wanted a horse started under saddle by a trainer - I found a good one and contacted them. They said they'd keep her for 4-6 weeks working 5/6 days a week with her. However, he had a policy that the owner had to commit to putting an hour a day work into the horse everyday for at least the following three months. If the owner wouldn't commit to it he wouldn't do it, he said it wasn't worthwhile.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Sorry for the late response, if I remember correctly you are in/around Newcastle? Facebook Littlefield Performace Horses. I've heard great things and plan to send my colt there later in the spring for working cow horse training:) there are a LOT of great trainers in/around the central OK region. It's SO much more beneficial to you AND the horse to have the professional start your first one and help you learn along with it.:)

·
Registered
997 Posts
My horse is already broke, but has some holes.. So it's kind of different than your issue, but I haul him to a barn 2 times a week to work with a trainer, who helps me with him.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mango, Yes that is the general area where I am. Do you know some reliable trainers that work with you and the horse? I wouldn't even mind just trailering him about three times a day to somewhere really close so I don't have to worry about what happens when I'm not there. I guess I've seen to many bad things happen to horses in life to trust many people.

·
Registered
399 Posts
No real input from me, but don't buy a really expensive saddle, as a youngster he'll still be growing so it's very likely that the saddle will not fit in a few months time, especially as his back develops to carry a rider.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.