The Horse Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mare is very sensitive and absolutely hates clippers with a vengeance! Can get the job done with some sedatives but her face is a no go . I was wondering if anyone had used any alternative methods of achieving the same clipped look without actually clipping their face. I have seen the handheld manual clippers online but I鈥檓 a bit doubtful of them . Grateful for any ideas 馃挕

Administrator
I dont think the manual clippers would be much good

Have you tried the really small battery clippers?
They're very quiet but the smallest ones struggle to go through anything but fine, not too thick hair

Super Moderator
I've read that a women's shaver you use with soap and water like in the shower also works but never did it myself.
Patience otherwise and a blunt tip small blade scissor I have done...slow and painstaking.

If you show under FEI rules before clipping make sure you will be in compliance of new rules going in effect come April 2021...
馃惔...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont think the manual clippers would be much good

Have you tried the really small battery clippers?
They're very quiet but the smallest ones struggle to go through anything but fine, not too thick hair
No I haven鈥檛 but I鈥檝e brought a quiet men鈥檚 shaver and even that set her off ! And that鈥檚 wear ear buds in ... I鈥檝e tried to desensitise her but at this rate it鈥檒l take years

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've read that a women's shaver you use with soap and water like in the shower also works but never did it myself.
Patience otherwise and a blunt tip small blade scissor I have done...slow and painstaking.

If you show under FEI rules before clipping make sure you will be in compliance of new rules going in effect come April 2021...
馃惔...
I have thought about a razor but was worried it would remove everything . I have plenty of patience at this point . Literally willing to do anything to get her face clipped 馃槀

Administrator
No I haven鈥檛 but I鈥檝e brought a quiet men鈥檚 shaver and even that set her off ! And that鈥檚 wear ear buds in ... I鈥檝e tried to desensitise her but at this rate it鈥檒l take years
I wouldn鈥檛 be too pessimistic!
I鈥檝e bought horses that were terrible with clippers but seemed to suddenly decide they weren鈥檛 that dreadful and accepted them without any real effort at desensitizing.

It might be worthwhile having them running by her every day for a short time without trying to clip and then turning them off and stroking her face with them.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wouldn鈥檛 be too pessimistic!
I鈥檝e bought horses that were terrible with clippers but seemed to suddenly decide they weren鈥檛 that dreadful and accepted them without any real effort at desensitizing.

It might be worthwhile having them running by her every day for a short time without trying to clip and then turning them off and stroking her face with them.
I guess I am being quite negative, Will keep at it with the mini clippers. I'm sure my husband will be delighted :ROFLMAO:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts