The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Especially with the hustle of the holidays upon us.

I am spittin’ nails at TSC:evil:

The short version is that I bought a 4# tub of MannaPro’s “Sho-Flex” joint supplement for Rusty. The ingredients are what I want for him and it isn’t full of fillers.

The “made by” date on the container (always check that on any food product) is 09-09-19. Yay! It’s only two months old!

I went to open it and whaddayaknow —- the lid popped right off — no seal strip around the lid, no sealer top inside the lid.

Not being afraid to make use of 800 numbers, I called Manno Pro to see if the product shipped “seal-less” from the factory or did TSC re-stock a returned feeding supplement?

The very nice man at MannPro had to do some checking but he did call me back a few hours later to say this product ships WITH a peel off seal strip along the outside of the lid! a. He further suggested I return the product to TSC, which I was going to anyway.

Either someone returned the product to TSC or someone at TSC accidentally managed to pull the seal strip off and they put it on the shelf to be sold anyway.

I have always checked ingredients and use-by or made-by dates, and I check bags for rips but I have never had to kick it up a notch and now start checking to be sure the product is sealed.

Just a warning to other shoppers, even if you’re in a hurry, check for broken or removed seals.

While nothing dastardly probably happened to the product inside, someone MAY have used some, returned a partial for whatever reason, and you end up paying for the full weight listed on the container.

Somehow it’s fitting, I will be returning this product to TSC after I go to the dentist tomorrow, lol lol

·
Registered
309 Posts
I once got some weatherstripping at Home Depot, and when I got it home and took out the roll, it was only a fraction as long as it was supposed to be - a good bit (1/4? 1/2? don't remember, it was a while ago) was missing. Apparently someone had bought it, used what they needed, and returned the leftovers for a full refund. :mad:

At the time I blamed HD but considering the volume of returns they handle, and the fact that I enjoy their easy returns (honestly), I now place the blame fully on the unknown customer who basically stole from the store (since HD believed me when I told my tale, took the return from me and ate the loss).

·
Registered
17,312 Posts
You really do always have to be super careful. You just never know! Hopefully they will just give you a new one, with the seal on it this time! I know sometimes things fall through the cracks, someone may have just put it back on the shelf without realizing.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
I bought a tub of butter spread at the store last week, took it home, and when I took the lid off, there were crumbs and knife marks in it... someone had used it a time or two, then returned it, and it ended up back on the shelf! The liner had 'restuck' down, so the store clerk probably glanced at it and assumed it wasn't opened.

So, yeah...check everything!

·
Super Moderator
14,681 Posts
I check lids on coffee containers, hot chocolate large canisters often...in fact my son does it for me before we put it in the cart if shopping together.
I also check carefully frozen food items that have the reseal zippers that the plastic bag is not disturbed...
Today there are to many crazies in this world to take chances...

Although a inconvenience TS will make good on it the product and if you tell them you want a discount on the next tub for your having to return used goods, they will probably do that too...
And so everyone knows...ripped or broken bags of any food item regardless of species are discounted even if nothing much is missing, discounted price...that goes for horse shavings too!! :smile:
Corporate policy and store manager discretion of how much to discount.
I recently bought 4 bags of horse feed that had a tiny tear in them...half price!!
I took every bag torn for that deal, it won't spoil in the cooler weather and gone in a months time..win-win for me. :smile:
:runninghorse2:...

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
Corporate policy and store manager discretion of how much to discount.
I recently bought 4 bags of horse feed that had a tiny tear in them...half price!!
I took every bag torn for that deal, it won't spoil in the cooler weather and gone in a months time..win-win for me. :smile:
It's sure not that way around here! I bought a bag of chicken scratch at TSC and one of the employees was nice enough to load it onto my cart for me (he offered, I didn't ask). So I bought it and some other stuff, loaded it into my truck only to see it had a taped hole in it. I was too lazy to unload it again and exchange it. It wasn't a huge hole BUT if I had picked that bag out myself I would have saw that and picked another bag instead.

Local, privately owned feeds stores are notoriously known for that too. If you don't get a chance to see it beforehand, they will load a damaged/taped bag into your truck. I wouldn't care if I got a discount, but I hate paying full price for a bag that a) probably has some missing, no matter how little and b) may open up and spill out all over the place if I am not super careful moving it when I get home.

The only places I have seen give a discount for damaged bags are maybe Walmart, and it seems like maybe I have seen some badly torn/discounted bags at TSC a time or two. But apparently the chicken scratch wasn't bad enough to qualify.

I really try to check my bags when I can, but sometimes you buy something at a feed store and they bring the product from a back room and load it for you and you can miss the damage that way. :evil:

·
Super Moderator
14,681 Posts
If you didn't ask or inform..make the tape, ripped bag known...buyer beware.
It is a policy of the store chain.
The amount is what is up to the store manager on duty at the time.

I'm a really good customer to them...it was in their best interest to discount the ripped bags.
They are not the only feed store in the area and all now are pretty matched in prices since they compete so heavily for customer base...
I've bought shavings for $1.00 a bag several times if they got wet/damp, or had a rip and some leaked out...
Shavings dry and at that discounted a price...how do you say no.:|

·
Registered
311 Posts
That's good thinking Walkin'. I haven't yet had that happen for feeds but it's always good to be reminded. Not only is that important for perishables, it's especially important if a supplement contains components that oxidize...like trace minerals (copper.) I once bought too much CA Trace for one supply. Like all supplements, I kept it sealed. But such is the way with pelleted feeds - it still oxidized. The only indicator of this was my mare's steadily increasing disgust with her supplements. I contacted the company to inquire about palatability and received several kind replies. Apply dunce cap here. :mrgreen:

@avjudge Those shenanigans are so irritating. I hope whoever did that was on an extremely tight budget because weatherstripping isn't THAT expensive. It certainly isn't worth discouraging services like free shipping, free returns and lower prices. Makes life harder for everyone.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You really do always have to be super careful. You just never know! Hopefully they will just give you a new one, with the seal on it this time! I know sometimes things fall through the cracks, someone may have just put it back on the shelf without realizing.
Tehy will take it back, no problem. If they do gripe I will (appily let them listen to the am from MannaPro:)

They only had this one container - I will have to check the TSC in my county.

This particular TSC has gotten a bad reputation in the last several years for keeping way outdated products on the shelves. I have called their corporate more than once. It’s why I was ecstatic to see this Sho-Flex with a new date - I should’ve known the other shoe was about to drop, lol lol

I also once called the store manager out for a bag of Omega-3 Horseshine that was almost two years past it’s use-by - after I called Onega Fields while I was standing in front of the bag to be sure.

Non of the Dumor omega stuff was outdated - they want us to buy their crap and I’m not doing it. That’s why 90% of my supplements are ordered on-line.

I bought a tub of butter spread at the store last week, took it home, and when I took the lid off, there were crumbs and knife marks in it... someone had used it a time or two, then returned it, and it ended up back on the shelf! The liner had 'restuck' down, so the store clerk probably glanced at it and assumed it wasn't opened.

So, yeah...check everything!
Ho-leee Mo-leee - you win the prize on that one! My jaw dropped when I read that:eek_color:

I can’t wait to tell this to DH, lol lol lol

·
Registered
309 Posts
@avjudge Those shenanigans are so irritating. I hope whoever did that was on an extremely tight budget because weatherstripping isn't THAT expensive. It certainly isn't worth discouraging services like free shipping, free returns and lower prices. Makes life harder for everyone.
No, not expensive at all - wasn't the money that bothered me so much, but it meant when I started the job for which (I thought!!!) I'd bought everything I needed, I didn't actually have enough. Ugh.

·
Registered
759 Posts
The reason for the seal is to insure safety and quantity from the manufacturer, if that seal is broken it should be returned. I have a friend who's trucking company delivers parts and tools to several different retail automotive stores. He is given jacks, tools, parts etc. that were returned as defective. Most of them there is nothing wrong with and were used once then brought back for a full return. The American public takes advantage of return policies a lot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.