2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One for general health
One good for joints and mobility
If anyone knows of any and that is not go to expensive thank you

·
Premium Member
23,921 Posts
There are specific supps for joint health - glucosamine is a general sort of thing & I'm no nutritionist but I've been told by a biologist & 2 equine nutritionists it's a waste of time. There are drugs, pentosan for eg, or hyaluronic(sp?) acid, depending on what's wrong/needed.

A supp for 'general health' would be a good diet with attention to well balanced nutrition - that means doing a diet analysis on whatever your diet is, then adding whatever is necessary to 'fill the gaps'.

·
Registered
211 Posts
From personal experience I like horseguard vitamin and mineral supplement, their trifecta includes a joint supplement as well.
However I use the vitamin and mineral supplement and OCD pellets.
My girls also get cbd pellets for general health, focus, joint and gut health.

The biggest thing is getting your hay tested to know where you’re lacking for general vitamin and mineral supplements. Talking with a nutritionist can greatly help narrow down your feed routine and what you need.

·
Premium Member
23,921 Posts
^Was going to ask you what the OCD pellets were, but googled first - they look interesting. With Hyaluronic acid, and chondroitin, which was another 'ingredient' who's name escaped me earlier, sounds like potentially a good thing.

Also looked up CBD Pellets, but the website I found(What Are CBD Pellets for Horses? | Joy Organics) sounds like they might have been... sampling too much of their raw product! They talk about hemp oil & CBD oil interchangeably it seems, when they're different things, different effects. They talk about pellets being better than hay because horses gallop around & kick dust on their hay. These pellets are a mix of hay, corn(!) & wheat(?) They talk about horses being 'herd bound' and having 'waves of sadness' about this. They say "Not only are horses uncomfortable from their hooves, but the stallion left behind in the stall may feel a bit left out too." - WTH?? That's as far as I read, but perhaps you've got a more... rational sounding source for me to learn more about that?

·
Registered
510 Posts
I bought my 29-year-old mare a supplement in hopes of helping her arthritic knee. It’s call “Devil’s Claw Plus” and contains said ingredient as well as turmeric, yucca and willow bark. As someone who’s worked with plants for many years, I know that these ingredients are natural anti inflammatory and analgesic.
My mare appears to be able to lift that foreleg up higher than she used to (for hoof cleaning and the farrier) so I believe it’s made some difference.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Also looked up CBD Pellets, but perhaps you've got a more... rational sounding source for me to learn more about that?
Bahaha oh my gosh yes 😂 look at phytosana Frequently Asked Questions – PhytoSana CBD you can also email them and they are amazing at answering all questions!

Also i was skeptical on the ocd pellets but i have an arthritic mare that was previously on equioxx before we got her and she is doing well on them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts