The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a second horse, a project horse. I have not settled on whether I would put reining or western pleasure into it. I have expeirence in both and they are the two events actually turning a profit for anyone around here.
Theses are some criteria I am looking for
mare
Less than 5 years old
colour(not the end of the world) black, grulla,buckskin, red dun,roan.
Top or bottom includes one of the following lines: hollywood, banditos, high brow cat, colonials,peppy, zippos.
Very minimal training such as halter broke, stands tied, lunges, been sat on. I want a blank slate.
good mind, willing, calm

Onto the question! Do you think I could get a horse matching these criteria for under $1600? Is this realistic?
Thank you

·
Registered
15,150 Posts
For a weanling, yearling? You could a pretty good quality one.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should of been more specific, I am shopping in western Canada. I was looking for something I could start right way age 2,3,4,5.

·
Registered
15,150 Posts
That's where I am from, BC, the price for decent quality weanling or yearling would be $1500. Anything older and cheaper wouldn't be the calibre of horse to do WP or reining with.

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
With the horse market the way it is now, I think it is definitely do-able. I see tons of horses on the market for well below what they are worth. Especially horses under 5 years old. You may be able to find a horse that fits what your looking for, for $800. But it might be across the country or in the US, so factor in shipping, you could still be under your $1600 budget. Don't limit just to Canada, the US horse market is crappy right now, You never know what you'll come across.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I haVe thought about buying from the states, I will send out a few emails to some shippers for quotes. Luckily I have also found a couple nice fillys in my price range.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sorry if im ruining your question with my own but I can't figure out how to post. This is my first forum...I 23 and getting married, we are moving outwest in the spring I have to great horses one is 15 halflinger cross (my 1st horse) and I love her with all my heart. Second one is a appendix..registered, and beautiful but..since i can only take one Im haveing a really hard time with this..mostly because of all the unwanted horses that aren't being fed...I think i should keep my unregisterd horse. Help! How do you pick and choose?

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Sorry if im ruining your question with my own but I can't figure out how to post. This is my first forum...I 23 and getting married, we are moving outwest in the spring I have to great horses one is 15 halflinger cross (my 1st horse) and I love her with all my heart. Second one is a appendix..registered, and beautiful but..since i can only take one Im haveing a really hard time with this..mostly because of all the unwanted horses that aren't being fed...I think i should keep my unregisterd horse. Help! How do you pick and choose?
You really do need to start your own thread for your post - it will keep things tidy and focused for you and the OP (Original Poster) of this thread as you are each seeking your own information and input. All you need to do is click the "New Thread" button you will see at the top/left of the screen when you are viewing a particular forum - so, choose the forum where your particular topic best fits (ie "horse talk"), click "New Thread" and it will bring up a window similar to the window you just used to post in this thread, but you will be starting your own separate thread.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I found two I really, really like. Go figure their the drivin to Hollywood twins I used to take care of two years ago and are only 45mins away. 2500 each which is a ways over my budget and a little to quick as well. Guess I will keep an eye on them.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Depends. If you are talking those lines with in 2 generations with proven sire and dam? NO you will not find one at least not with out a lot of looking. If you are looking for those lines just on the horses papers and the sire and/or dam are not proven you probable could find one.

Aks yourself what level do you wish to take this prospect too? If you are talking local stuff not breed or affilate type things then that would be a bit esier to find. If you are looking for a prospect that can be competitive at the breed level or affiliate level again probably not.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Depends. If you are talking those lines with in 2 generations with proven sire and dam? NO you will not find one at least not with out a lot of looking. If you are looking for those lines just on the horses papers and the sire and/or dam are not proven you probable could find one.

Aks yourself what level do you wish to take this prospect too? If you are talking local stuff not breed or affilate type things then that would be a bit esier to find. If you are looking for a prospect that can be competitive at the breed level or affiliate level again probably not.
Thank you, I am planning to train this horse to the level where it could show in western canadian reining horse assoc. and do well. I have been hunting a lot.

The twins I was talking about above are sired by drivin to hollywood'
32000 LTE so far. Great stud. Dams a Boomernic mare, throws stunning foals... Owners asking 2500 the foals are 2yo. Your oponion?

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
The line sound nice. Being twins I would have the checked quite well by a good vet to make sure there are no problems with them. If all is good and they have good conformation the price sounds good depending on how close up those lines are.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The smaller one is a little to small, shes estimated to be 14hh. If I were to buy one I would buy the older one.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Worth taking a look.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.