The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This summer I stepped back into the world of horse riding. I am still learning (and probably always will be). I currently ride around 4 days a week on my friend's horse. She is a rescue TB cross that likes to 'go'. When she doesn't get her way she likes to toss her head and occasionally kick out. She has tossed my friend before but has been decent with me. I never ride alone and she is always there giving me tips on how to get better control, etc.

So, here's the rub. I was offered to be able to take over the horse's cost and have her as my own BUT she doesn't have the capabilities that I am looking for. I am interested in trail and endurance rides but mainly just pleasure riding as often as I can. Because of this I have been looking online for a better fit. That's when I stumbled across Sophie. She is a gorgeous Quarab that was foaled in May 2003. She was listed for a while and then taken down so I assumed that she was sold. Low and behold she is back!

Here is her dreamhorse.com page: http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=1425073&share_this=Y

There is even a video on there of her. *sigh*

Here's the kicker though: "She needs a patient, experienced handler / rider, who is capable of focusing her energy on whatever task is at hand."

Am I crazy for wanting this horse? Should I take a step back and look for something that is a better match for my skillset?

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
Am I crazy for wanting this horse? Should I take a step back and look for something that is a better match for my skillset?
Yes and yes.

Too many people take on a horse who's too much for them and that's not fair to the horse. They wind up never being ridden, or continuously sold down the road.

Many of them wind up at auction after they've been ruined, purely because people haven't been honest with themselves about being able to handle and ride a horse who needs a knowledgeable owner.

If your skill sets do NOT match what this animal requires, do her a favor and pass.

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
I agree with SR with one exception.

If you are planning on having you and the horse in full time training (not necessarily with each other) to make your skill sets match then it is not a foolish idea.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
She seems to be an amazing horse! I can see why you would want her. If she was in my area and in my price range, I'd want to have her too! Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes and yes.

Too many people take on a horse who's too much for them and that's not fair to the horse. They wind up never being ridden, or continuously sold down the road.

Many of them wind up at auction after they've been ruined, purely because people haven't been honest with themselves about being able to handle and ride a horse who needs a knowledgeable owner.

If your skill sets do NOT match what this animal requires, do her a favor and pass.
That's exactly what I don't want. I don't want to make a decision that will hurt myself or the horse. But, I also don't want a nanny horse that won't challenge me.

I agree with SR with one exception.

If you are planning on having you and the horse in full time training (not necessarily with each other) to make your skill sets match then it is not a foolish idea.
I am fully considering taking on fulltime training sessions. That's part of my interest in her. I want a horse that has the energy but discipline to help me become a better rider. From the ad it sounds like she has had a ton of time and money invested in her and I would love to become a better match for her. Hence, being torn on the issue. I just don't want to put either one of us in a dangerous situation.

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
I agree with that caveat, Always.

Unfortunately, how many people actually take lessons or have their horses trained by professionals? If this BB is any indication, very few.

Too many people believe they can buy foals, problem horses, or horses beyond their own skill sets, and think they'll be able to train them properly with no outside professional help.

These are the people about which I'm talking, not the ones who buy a horse and plan to have a trainer work with both of them to make them into a cohesive team.

Lisa, if you plan to get a trainer involved in the mix, why not have them evaluate your skills before you buy anything? That way, they'll know what type of horse you need to challenge you, but not scare the daylights out of you.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She seems to be an amazing horse! I can see why you would want her. If she was in my area and in my price range, I'd want to have her too! Good luck with your decision.
Thanks! It's just one of those things where you inexplicably fall in love with something. I am going to try and contact the seller today to get more information as to why Sophie requires an experienced handler and details about her sale.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree with that caveat Always.

Unfortunately, how many people actually take lessons or have their horses trained by professionals? If this BB is any indication, very few.

Too many people believe they can buy foals, problem horses, or horses beyond their own skill sets, and think they'll be able to train them properly with no outside professional help.

These are the people about which I'm talking, not the ones who buy a horse and plan to have a trainer work with both of them to make them into a cohesive team.
So, it sounds like that is the key. If I decide to try and take her on I should be signed up with a professional trainer to get us to be a better skill match for one another. What should I be looking for in a trainer? I am assuming that the BO that trains children/teens to ride isn't going to be experienced enough to help us.

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
I am fully considering taking on fulltime training sessions. That's part of my interest in her. I want a horse that has the energy but discipline to help me become a better rider. From the ad it sounds like she has had a ton of time and money invested in her and I would love to become a better match for her. Hence, being torn on the issue. I just don't want to put either one of us in a dangerous situation.
Then take your trainer and look at the horse and let your trainer help you decide if your skill set can grow into something that agrees with this horse.

I totally agree!

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
So, it sounds like that is the key. If I decide to try and take her on I should be signed up with a professional trainer to get us to be a better skill match for one another. What should I be looking for in a trainer? I am assuming that the BO that trains children/teens to ride isn't going to be experienced enough to help us.
Look for a trainer who has a history of making good riding teams out of different horses and people. If he/she is good, they should be able to put you in contact with plenty of people who can give them a glowing reference.

They don't have to be the highest priced or fanciest, just be able to prove to you that they're able to take two disparate individuals, and make them into a good partnership.

Most professional trainers don't do it 'on the side'; it's usually their livelihood. Whether or not your BO is capable of training you, I don't know. I would think if she's not doing anything except the basics, she won't be a good candidate to fine tune you and a horse.

The fact that you realize you're not capable of doing this yourself tells me you're already ahead of the game.

If Sophie really is the horse for you, then she'll come to you. If she's not, the right one is out there.

I wish you luck in whatever you decide. You certainly seem to have a good head on your shoulders.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If Sophie really is the horse for you, then she'll come to you. If she's not, the right one is out there.
I agree. I am forcing myself to sit back and consider all the variables. That's why I let her slip by the first time. Now that she's back I am "chomping at the bit" to make her mine.

I wish you luck in whatever you decide. You certainly seem to have a good head on your shoulders.
Thank you! I appreciate the compliment. :)

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
I just watched part of the video. What I see is a well trained horse who is willing and able to go what is asked. This is the type of horse I like. I want a horse how is "up" but not hyper. One who has a lot of controlled energy and that is what this mare looks like she has. I would go look at her ride her and see how you fit. However I would also make sure you get with her owners and learn all her buttons and such. If not it might make her hard to ride.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
she's lovely, go for it!
oh and we are all 'always learning'
LoL you sounds like the little Devil on my shoulder. :twisted: I am definitely going to call and talk with her. She sounds fairly straight forward in the ad and I want to get some more information as to why Sophie needs an experienced handler. If she has a lot of 'go' I don't mind working with her but if she has rearing/bucking issues then I am going to steer clear. There is another grey Arab on dream horse in my area that is listed as "Beginner Safe" and I should be looking into that as well. But, something about Sophie...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just watched part of the video. What I see is a well trained horse who is willing and able to go what is asked. This is the type of horse I like. I want a horse how is "up" but not hyper. One who has a lot of controlled energy and that is what this mare looks like she has. I would go look at her ride her and see how you fit. However I would also make sure you get with her owners and learn all her buttons and such. If not it might make her hard to ride.
Oh boy, you guys are getting me all excited about her again. :lol: That is just what I want. I don't want to feel that I am pushing my horse to work. I like having a girl that is happy and excited but not dangerous. I think a lot has to do with the rider though. The owner appears to know exactly how to handle Sophie.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I finally spoke with the current owner! She has owned Sophie for pretty much her entire training. She picked her out of a pasture where she had been left unattended and untrained as a filly. Her faults are that she is extremely hot. I qoute "She is like riding a firecracker". She doesn't head toss or buck but will prance and snort when she wants to go faster. And she hates having her ears touched/clipped. The owner was very up front and sociable. She wants her horse placed in the best home possible and is selling her due to financial reasons. I briefly talked to her about working out a trial period in order to make sure we are a well fit pair. She gets back in town on Monday so I have the entire weekend to make up my mind as to what direction I want to go.

Should I be concerned about the price? Is that too much to ask in this economy for a so deemed 'hot' horse?

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
I think that is not a bad price for the amount of training the mare seems to have. Hot is relative. I am sure some would think my reiners are hot. They are not they are what I would call "UP". As long as you can ride you can control their energy even kids ride most of them.

However she might be a horse that you need to ride quite often and not let sit. So that might be a consideration for you too. I like the one you can get on and go no matter how long it has been since they where last ridden.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I think she is wonderful. Loved the video, too.
Hope it all works out!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.