The Horse Forum banner

Am I Moving Up?

971 Views 9 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  tinyliny
Hey everyone! I have been showing on the “A” and “A A” circuit for two years now but only 6 months with my new jumper. We have consistently done well in the .90’s and my trainer and I were in the talks of moving up to 1.0m’s…. Then I fell off at a show and got a severe concussion… yikes, not fun. The plan was to move up at my upcoming show which is this weekend. I know I was supposed to move up, but I don’t know if this is still the plan. I have consistently been jumping 1.0m at home since coming back and stretching up to 1.05-1.10 recently. I had my last lesson today before the upcoming show and my trainer really pushed me with the height and difficulty of courses. She’s the not the type to ask these things…. Any thoughts?
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Super Moderator
18,524 Posts
Don't you think this is a discussion to have with your trainer who you trust, knows you and your weaknesses and mindset and indeed fear you now have...
There is no shame in holding at the level you are till your confidence returns strong...
As you know, it is far different to jump a course at home then go to unfamiliar grounds, smells and compete away from home..
You sound nervous to me, means if you can't control the nerves....stay the same course you've been doing.
Better to be confident and "bored" than nervous and have a bad showing on top of nerves coming back from a significant injury...
🐴... jmo...

· Registered
Irish sport horse
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't you think this is a discussion to have with your trainer who you trust, knows you and your weaknesses and mindset and indeed fear you now have...
There is no shame in holding at the level you are till your confidence returns strong...
As you know, it is far different to jump a course at home then go to unfamiliar grounds, smells and compete away from home..
You sound nervous to me, means if you can't control the nerves....stay the same course you've been doing.
Better to be confident and "bored" than nervous and have a bad showing on top of nerves coming back from a significant injury...
🐴... jmo...
I’m more nervous about not advancing due to having to sit out awhile. I recently went completely online with my schooling and have given up most of my life for this sport. The accident happened due to my girth actually snapping my horse was a literal saint through it all. I don’t have any fear about actually riding it’s just hard to think that my accident could hold me back when I’ve given up so much.

· Super Moderator
11,153 Posts
When you say "She’s the not the type to ask these things…. " Do you mean she doesn't usually push like she did today? Or that she is not one to approach with questions?

If you want to progress, mention looking forward to being in the next show as planned.

· Registered
Irish sport horse
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[
When you say "She’s the not the type to ask these things…. " Do you mean she doesn't usually push like she did today? Or that she is not one to approach with questions?

If you want to progress, mention looking forward to being in the next show as planned.
she’s not one to approach with questions. I’m a perfectionist so she approaches my riding journey as more of a trust your trainer and the process. I am going to compete this weekend, but, I don’t know if it will be .90’s as I’ve done before or 1.0’s as we discussed awhile back. This was supposed to be a milestone show.

· Registered
356 Posts
You're asking the wrong person/people...only you can answer this question. Maybe it's time for your relationship with your trainer to evolve, like your riding skill, so you could be more open and honest with each other.

· Registered
Irish sport horse
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You're asking the wrong person/people...only you can answer this question. Maybe it's time for your relationship with your trainer to evolve, like your riding skill, so you could be more open and honest with each other.
This is a really good point. I know I’m ready when it comes to capability and headspace. I might just need to express this to my trainer.

· Registered
Irish sport horse
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey everyone! I have been showing on the “A” and “A A” circuit for two years now but only 6 months with my new jumper. We have consistently done well in the .90’s and my trainer and I were in the talks of moving up to 1.0m’s…. Then I fell off at a show and got a severe concussion… yikes, not fun. The plan was to move up at my upcoming show which is this weekend. I know I was supposed to move up, but I don’t know if this is still the plan. I have consistently been jumping 1.0m at home since coming back and stretching up to 1.05-1.10 recently. I had my last lesson today before the upcoming show and my trainer really pushed me with the height and difficulty of courses. She’s the not the type to ask these things…. Any thoughts?
Just wanted to update… I did in fact move up.

· Premium Member
51,791 Posts
[

she’s not one to approach with questions. I’m a perfectionist so she approaches my riding journey as more of a trust your trainer and the process. I am going to compete this weekend, but, I don’t know if it will be .90’s as I’ve done before or 1.0’s as we discussed awhile back. This was supposed to be a milestone show.

well, if you buy into all that, then it's a waste of your time to ask any outside opinon. I hope you will place your brain health in the front, but , . . . I wonder . .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.